Virat vs Rohit - Head to head as IPL captains

sage

I am not endorsing Kohli by any means, but many factors go into IPL victories.  The MI franchise has done an excellent job of scouting and developing players.  They pick balanced squads.  They seem to have the absolute best facilities and support system for their players.  A well-oiled machine. 

OTOH, RCB seems to pack their team with star players, but no balance, no apparent player development.  Not to mention the drama and distractions with Mallya's shenanigans.  Just a messy, undisciplined vibe.  Even if Kohli was a decent captain (which he may not be), RGS has some inherent advantages.  

I think the bigger piece of evidence for your point - an apples to apples comparison if you will - is RGS' performance while captaining Team India in VK's absence.  He did a great job.  Same conclusion, better evidence.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
1 hour ago, Majestic said:

Rohit had Pollard, Malinga/Bumrah, SDP.

Virat had what?? Only ABD??

Virat had pretty good players in past as well. Gayle, Ab, Watson, KL Rahul, De kock, McCullum, Starc, Badree, Chahal, Morris. Someone like Stoinis has performed so well for DC last year and i won't be surprised if Moeen Ali too has great season this year for CSK.

Edited by Nikola
6 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

I am not endorsing Kohli by any means, but many factors go into IPL victories.  The MI franchise has done an excellent job of scouting and developing players.  They pick balanced squads.  They seem to have the absolute best facilities and support system for their players.  A well-oiled machine. 

OTOH, RCB seems to pack their team with star players, but no balance, no apparent player development.  Not to mention the drama and distractions with Mallya's shenanigans.  Just a messy, undisciplined vibe.  Even if Kohli was a decent captain (which he may not be), RGS has some inherent advantages.  

I think the bigger piece of evidence for your point - an apples to apples comparison if you will - is RGS' performance while captaining Team India in VK's absence.  He did a great job.  Same conclusion, better evidence.  

just shows you need a good organization  and the office running it. Mumbai is far ahead of RCB.

5 hours ago, Nikola said:

Virat had pretty good players in past as well. Gayle, Ab, Watson, KL Rahul, De kock, McCullum, Starc, Badree, Chahal, Morris. Someone like Stoinis has performed so well for DC last year and i won't be surprised if Moeen Ali too has great season this year for CSK.

Aside of Gayle and AB, rest stayed for like one year and moved on.

There has always been a lack of quality pace bowler, especially death bowler. RCB between 2011-2016 was all Gayle, Kohli and ABD and between 2017- 2020, they have been all ABD and Kohli.

Edited by Majestic
2 hours ago, Majestic said:

Aside of Gayle and AB, rest stayed for like one year and moved on.

There has always been a lack of quality pace bowler, especially death bowler. RCB between 2011-2016 was all Gayle, Kohli and ABD and between 2017- 2020, they have been all ABD and Kohli.

Exactly who is responsible for spotting who the key players are? Everyone knows RCB lacks a proper pacer, so what have they done about it? Their player selection in auctions has always been erratic. Forget auctions, even team selection during IPL is so random. No wonder they keep struggling.

Also, if you have been among the worst performing teams in a league with the same captain for nearly 7 years, maybe it's better to accept the fault lies with the leader.

@zen I don't understand the point you are trying to make with those batting statistics. Rohit Sharma has contributed to building the :mi: team franchise. He has selected and nurtured a set of players.

If Kohli has *only* ABDV, he has himself to blame. In 8 years he couldn't develop a support system in the RCB squad. 

I would have liked to compare win ratios in knock out games for the two captains. But Kohli's team wouldn't provide for many data points.

5 hours ago, Vilander said:

captain is just one player, team wins or loses. Put rohit in Rcb and he will lose too. 

Nah, kohli had some stellar stellar players too. There is a reason the same players who understand performed under him did great in other teams . On the other hand, even new bees in Mumbai perform great under rohit

There is no way kohli extracts the best iut of has been like Pollard like rohit does

One example we see in intentional matches is how rohit keeps on encouraging new bowlers and batsmen 

Edited by New guy

So Rohit extracts the best out of players.. :hysterical:

So how come the same SKY and Kishan did well under Kohli in the last series. 

As for pollard, the guy was smoking sixes in various t20 leagues and was in the form of his life last year. 

Relating a batman's performance with captaincy shows the cricket illiteracy, a good player can score well under any freaking captain.