Videos of actors overacting

Real McCoy

48 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

1. Black- Bachchan (controversial opinon but that film was to over dramatic in everyway)

surprisingly it took a controversial opinion for you and me to be on the same page :phehe:

Yes overbearing. Definition of  25 paise le kar ek rupaye ki acting.

Edited by maniac

He is the greatest overactor, as well as one of the greatest actors. He  overacted because of the style back then, and the crowd demand for such performances, earlier and later on his careers, he was very good and grounded. A true thespian. You should watch his performances in Mudhal Mariyadhai, Thevar Magan, Parasakthi, etc. There are many performances. 
Early days and drama background.Was a different time then.

9 hours ago, maniac said:

This is the cringe most scene in Bollywood.

Where is the overacting here? Aishwarya has cringe written all over her in this movie. The dialogue delivery is hilarious.

Edited by Mariyam

13 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Agree, this thread should be about outrageous acting, not fake action scenes. Sivaji owns this thread. Some actors hit the edge of histrionics, Sivaji is not afraid to go beyond and hit absurdity, which could be termed as time bound or director vision. I have never seen anybody emoting the way Sivaji does. In later years, esp in movies like Thevar Magan he showed how he can restrain. He is a director's actor, just like KH

13 hours ago, I6MTW said:

He is the greatest overactor, as well as one of the greatest actors. He  overacted because of the style back then, and the crowd demand for such performances, earlier and later on his careers, he was very good and grounded. A true thespian. You should watch his performances in Mudhal Mariyadhai, Thevar Magan, Parasakthi, etc. There are many performances. 

Agreed on your points. His overacting was because it was the demand of the directors back then but disagree that the crowd wanted it :phehe: He was known for overacting even in his time. There were jokes about him from back in the day. But it is unanimous that he is an excellent actor. His emotive style is unparalleled and was rumored to have read the script only once before acting it out. He was a director's dream come true. If he was a hollywood star, he would be famous worldwide. But I like him that he wasn't a hollywood actor oddly enough. He has his own charm. There is a reason he got the chevalier title from France.

18 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

I'll start with the greatest overactor in world cinema ever - Sivaji Ganesan

I had seen a video where he overacts after getting hit by a lash. It was a WhatsApp forward and totally hilarious. I can't find it by searching on YT. Do you remember that scene?

Edited by nevada

23 minutes ago, nevada said:

Do you know which movie it is where he overacts when hit with a lash? Also, whynis is regarded so highly in the Tamil movie industry? Kamal Hasan is so in awe of him. Is it because Sivaji taught him acting when when he was a child actor?

I don't know which movie it was. he was way before my time and I'm not that much of a film buff. I don't think Kamal learnt acting from him. Sivaji was one of the first actors to shine after independence and much of his early acclaim was due to his theatrical performance. He could remember lengthy lines easily and delivered on the first step thanks to his theatrical background. In theater, there is no do over. you either deliver the dialogue or you don't.

he learnt it from his guru who was a teacher of theatrical arts. He credits his mentor with everything including theater and dance. He knows bharatanatyam, kathak, and manipuri. perhaps knowing these dance forms helped in his theater performance with body movements, emotive faces, etc

1 minute ago, nevada said:

Was annoying AF with his fake Cuban accent! It sticks out like a sore thumb throughout the movie. 

Robert De Niro is another guy who overacts in his later movies and plays the same guy.

in fact Pacino was awesome in the Irishman 

By all accounts Sivaji was a great actor, delivered some of the best movies in history of Indian cinema. But also had his fair share of nonsense movies (many done as a favor to friends) and instances of comical overacting. Stage background, his name wasn't even Sivaji, it was bestowed on him because of some famous stage portrayal of the legendary Maratha ruler. Though I haven't watched his movies (except Thevar Magan and Veerapandiya Kattaboman) have heard only good things about Parasakthi, Pasamalar, Kappalottiya Thamizhan, Karnan etc. One simply doesn't get international film festival awards and recognition by being a bad actor. 

Chill and enjoy this song from Pasamalar

Edited by Gollum

Maybe stage background means susceptibility to overacting, especially in that old era. Seen even high profile Shakespearean actors overact on silver screen. 

Overacting or not, whether you know Tamil or not @maniac @coffee_rules @Mariyam, the dialogue delivery below (one take) is mindblowing (clear stage influence). My Tamil is nowhere good enough to understand even bits of it but I am sure @velu @I6MTW @Vilander @Real McCoy @Stan AF @vvvslaxman @ash will appreciate this, from what I have heard a very tough monologue. 

Sivaji vs MGR was a thing back then, even today it is among film buffs, polarizing topic. Dunno how it is even a contest, Sivaji blows MGR out of the water and his ceiling was always very high (based on clips I have seen, not full movies I admit), floor could be low as well but he was capable of achieving greatness that MGR couldn't fathom. Maybe equivalent of Kamal vs Rajini in that era. 

@Ankit_sharma03 you familiar with old era Tamil movies? Likes of Sivaji and MGR.....

Edited by Gollum

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@Ankit_sharma03 you familiar with old era Tamil movies? Likes of Sivaji and MGR.....

nope, not at all

For me it started with Kamal hassan only

About this monolouge since i dnt understand tamil at all, in that case i watched his body language, tone, pitch , graph which all looked pretty good in this scene. About being over the top , actually his pitch was same as others so that shud be the tone of the whole film but this is damn tough to do. This is a continuous take without any cut so it is damn tough..not easy for ordinary actors

Guys like akshay kumar cant say a line without reading a placard

Just now, coffee_rules said:

@Gollum maybe you have not heard of veteran Kannada actor Rajkumar. Look at the scene where he plays shehnai (Ustad Bismillah Khan of course) , but he caught the nuances of shehnai player so well. 

sivaji also played nadadwaram and mridangam and the director killed the scenes with overuse of sivaji’s histrionics 

Rajkumar too was a legend. But what I am saying is one can't use a few movies or clips to pass verdicts on actors especially from that era. When they had such a huge body of work. Different demands, balance of power, technology etc. so many decades ago. 

I have highest respect for these guys, and don't forget NTR (GOAT Krishna) and SV Ranga Rao (GOAT Ravan/Duryodhan) but search around and I am sure we'll find bad performances there as well, and scenes that haven't aged well. 

But they are legends for a reason. You have assclowns like Ballaya and Vijay overacting, that is a different story altogether.