Comic Vir Das' 'I Come From 2 Indias' Video Prompts Case By BJP Leader

SujitPrakash

New Delhi: 

Comic Vir Das's viral "I come from two Indias" video, furiously debated on social media, has provoked a police complaint by a BJP leader. Aditya Jha, a spokesperson of the BJP in Delhi, has filed a complaint with the Delhi Police accusing Vir Das of belittling the country on foreign soil.

Mr Jha tweeted a video saying he "will not tolerate anyone insulting our nation in another country" and will fight for the arrest of Vir Das.

"I will take this fight to a decisive end. I want Vir Das to be arrested so that no one can malign the nation like this," Mr Jha says, urging people to support his cause.

Vir Das on Monday posted a video filmed at his show at Washington's Kennedy Centre. In a six-minute monologue, he describes two contrasting faces of the country and refers to many recent controversial topics in broad strokes.

"I come from an India that has the largest working population under 30 on the planet but still listens to 75-year-old leaders with 150-year-old ideas," he says in the viral monologue.

Many shared his lines on Twitter. Vir Das was also trolled in equal measure.

As the video racked up tens of thousands of views, a short clip posted on Twitter generated much fire: "I come from an India where we worship women during the day and gang-rape them during the night."

The 42-year-old stand-up comic last evening put out a clarification that he never intended to insult the nation, that his piece was a satire.

"The video is a satire about the duality of two very separate Indias that do different things. Like any nation has light and dark, good and evil within it. None of this is a secret. The video appeals for us to never forget that we are great. To never stop focusing on what makes us great. It ends in a gigantic patriotic round of applause for a country we all love, believe in, and are proud of. That there is more to our country than the headlines, a deep beauty. That''s the point of the video and the reason for the applause," Vir Das said in his statement.

Comedian Vir Das urged people to "cheer for the country with hope, not hate".

New Delhi: 

Comic Vir Das's viral "I come from two Indias" video, furiously debated on social media, has provoked a police complaint by a BJP leader. Aditya Jha, a spokesperson of the BJP in Delhi, has filed a complaint with the Delhi Police accusing Vir Das of belittling the country on foreign soil.

Mr Jha tweeted a video saying he "will not tolerate anyone insulting our nation in another country" and will fight for the arrest of Vir Das.

"I will take this fight to a decisive end. I want Vir Das to be arrested so that no one can malign the nation like this," Mr Jha says, urging people to support his cause.

Vir Das on Monday posted a video filmed at his show at Washington's Kennedy Centre. In a six-minute monologue, he describes two contrasting faces of the country and refers to many recent controversial topics in broad strokes.

"I come from an India that has the largest working population under 30 on the planet but still listens to 75-year-old leaders with 150-year-old ideas," he says in the viral monologue.

Many shared his lines on Twitter. Vir Das was also trolled in equal measure.

As the video racked up tens of thousands of views, a short clip posted on Twitter generated much fire: "I come from an India where we worship women during the day and gang-rape them during the night."

The 42-year-old stand-up comic last evening put out a clarification that he never intended to insult the nation, that his piece was a satire.

"The video is a satire about the duality of two very separate Indias that do different things. Like any nation has light and dark, good and evil within it. None of this is a secret. The video appeals for us to never forget that we are great. To never stop focusing on what makes us great. It ends in a gigantic patriotic round of applause for a country we all love, believe in, and are proud of. That there is more to our country than the headlines, a deep beauty. That''s the point of the video and the reason for the applause," Vir Das said in his statement.

He urged people to "cheer for the country with hope, not hate" and asked his followers to not be misled by edited clips.

"Please do not be fooled by edited snippets. People cheer for India with hope, not hate. People clap for India with respect, not malice. I take pride in my country, and I carry that pride across the world," he said.

Congress leader Kapil Sibal came out in his support on Twitter.

"Vir Das, None can doubt that there are two Indias. Just that we don't want an Indian to tell the world about it. We are intolerant and hypocritical," Mr Sibal wrote.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/comic-vir-das-i-come-from-2-indias-video-prompts-case-by-bjp-leader-aditya-jha-2614052#pfrom=home-ndtv_bigstory

Some Indians are just plain stupid, and our politician's are even more stupid.

RW has made heroes out of Left Liberals and shock-jocks like Kamra, Mynnawar and this idiot VD. How is a complaint against him help here? It was said outside the country. Imran Khan says worse things about India, doesn’t make it a fact. In Kannada there is a saying, Heavens don’t get spoiled if dogs bark. This one is just slow news day in SM

One common observation:

Joke or comment on people of colour: Racist

Joke or comment on people of certain religion: Islamophobia or equivalent

Joke or comment about sexual orientation: homophobia or equivalent

Joke or comment on people of a nation, not just India: Haha, so funny! Very enlightening & intellectually sound!

:hmmmm2:

Edited by Clarke

12 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Moorkh, bhakton ki nahin, tumhari bhi leli hain. He said Indians and not just bhakts. Pyjama ka nada

"Indians take pride for being vegetarian and then run over farmers" great lines .... Only bhakts hate farmers....:hatsoff: to this guy.

Edited by speedheat

One India where Gungoot /KarvaChauth is regressive and in the other , Burkha is a matter of choice

One India where Diwali is harmful to animals but on the other hand, Bakrid is when libtards go silent

One India where one can mock Hindu Saints freely but if you say a word against the Prophet , you are killed a-la-Kamlesh 

one can go on... 

I've seen people make funny remarks on their own country in stand ups usually...  But when he said we worship & then gangrape women was clearly out of line..  Just shows he doesn't has better content.  He wanted attention & dude sure as hell got it now:isalute:

RW LW both got played...  Winner Vir Das:bow:

Edited by Lone Wolf

Agree with everything he said about India but he is saying it in front of US audience who elects 80+ year old Presidents as well, rapes and sexual harassment common place in fact higher than India per 1000.

Point is not that, India has grave issues and should be addressed.

Point is he is using his inferiority complex as a way of acceptance in front of foreign audience, brown nosing. It's weakness like this which leads Indian stereotypes.

I live in Canada, and I suffered a lot of bullying, and injustice before leaving India. That made me more empathetic that there are many millions more in India who go through same. 

Nothing he said was funny also. What a loser.

and this BJP leader Jha is such an emotional fool.

2 hours ago, Lord said:

The first article of the Constitution of India states that "India, that is Bharat, shall be a union of states," implicitly codifying "India" and "Bharata".

You guys still slaved by a colonial hangover , live in India, but for a lot of natives, in all regional languages, people live in Bharat. It is a f Ucking joke