'We'll see who goes to play IPL over PSL': PCB chief Ramiz Raja

Clarke

Taking inspiration from the Indian Premier League (IPL), Pakistan cricket boss Ramiz Raja is keen on bringing major changes in the Pakistan Super League (PSL), which he feels would aid in generating larger revenue. Speaking to media persons at the National Stadium in Karachi, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman said it is time to “elevate the concept of PSL” and introduce the auction system rather than the ongoing draft system, which has been in function since the inception of the league.

Raja believes PSL can play a major role in generating revenue, which in return will also increase the reputation of the country. The former Pakistan cricketer feels if everything falls in place PSL will emerge as one of the main competitors of IPL, claiming that many cricketers would prefer taking part in the Pakistan T20 league than the latter. 

"We need to create new properties to be financially independent. We have nothing for now but the PSL and ICC funds. There's an argument over the model from next year; I want to switch it to an auction model from next year," Raja was quoted as saying in a report on ESPNCricinfo

"The market forces are conducive, but we'll sit down with the franchise owners to discuss it. This is a game of money. When the cricket economy grows in Pakistan, our respect will rise. The main driver of that financial economy is the PSL. If we take the PSL to auction model, increase the purse, then I'll put it in the IPL bracket. And then we'll see who goes to play the IPL over the PSL," he further explained.

However, we are yet to see how the PSL franchise owners react to Raja's ambitious vision. PSL up till now has been played over a draft system, which allows a comparatively financially weaker franchise to assemble a squad with almost equal strength as others. 

With the draft system in place, all six franchises of PSL have won the tournament at least once in the seven seasons that have been played so far. 

Ramiz also mentioned that PCB was mulling to hold matches in multiple venues in the latest edition, instead of playing at just two. He further hinted that the league might adopt a home-away structure from next year. 

“We want the PSL to be on a home and away basis from next year. The gate money will be excellent, and we want to elevate the concept of the PSL.”

"Every side's purse will increase, and if they want to improve they'll have to spend money. When you go from a draft system to this, the world's talent suddenly becomes available to you. I've spoken to a couple of the franchise owners; they're quite happy to experiment with this. I'll talk to the others, too. It's in the embryonic stages, but it's top of my wish list," he further stated.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/well-see-who-goes-to-play-ipl-pcb-chief-ramiz-raja-hints-big-change-to-elevate-the-concept-of-psl-101647294988747.html

These guys cannot digest their food without going after Endia/Endians on a daily basis

Edited by Clarke
1 hour ago, Clarke said:

So one hand they hate India and give these hateful statements everyday and then beg endlessly to bcci . Also few pakistani come here and say icf has so much hate for pcb/pakistan, now they can see for themslves also this is a lesson for aman ki asha gang who are dying for cricket with pakistan. Now their pockets are empty still they pass these monthly hateful statements whether it's cricketers, politician or people, if ever these neech earn some money they will run riots.

Edited by raki05

Lahore's Gaddafi Stadium set to be rechristened with new sponsor's name

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/pcb-chairman-ramiz-raja-confirms-gaddafi-stadium-in-lahore-to-be-rechristened-with-new-sponsors-name-1305670

They should rename it as Shaheed Osama Bin Laden Stadium with sponsorship from Al Qaeda/ISIS

Edited by Clarke
1 hour ago, Norman said:

Click bait title :nono:

Those are his exact words at the end. Look it up, its on cricinfo too. Added over PSL to the title

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/pcb-chairman-ramiz-raja-wants-psl-to-move-from-draft-to-auction-1305561

"This is a game of money. When the cricket economy grows in Pakistan, our respect will rise. The main driver of that financial economy is the PSL. If we take the PSL to auction model, increase the purse, then I'll put it in the IPL bracket. And then we'll see who goes to play the IPL over the PSL."

Edited by Clarke
1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

I think Ramiz has done commentary for IPL more than PSL lol

Waqar too used to appear on Set Max pre-game show. Wasim was kkr's bowling coach. I just laugh at poyzz who think IPL "discriminates" Pakistanis. 

Had they allowed their players to participate in 2009, we might have actually seen bilateral cricket too along with Pak players in IPL. That little stunt that they pulled pretty much made BCCI show them the constant middle finger. 

Everyone has to be realistic . no other league will come even close to IPL . No need to compare anything with IPL. Ramiz is a very good administrator , very well educated, did his MBA from a very good university and will take PCB to new heights , but sometimes says things which does not make much sense.  

3 hours ago, First class said:

Everyone has to be realistic . no other league will come even close to IPL . No need to compare anything with IPL. Ramiz is a very good administrator , very well educated, did his MBA from a very good university and will take PCB to new heights , but sometimes says things which does not make much sense.  

Rameez is in love with the sound of his own voice.  Needs to stop talking so much and focus  on doing actual work.

18 hours ago, diga said:

Ramiz was given a commentary stint in IPL if I remember ...  Saala ehsaan-faraamosh

Moreover, as an educated man, better is expected of him. He has turned out to be another dud. Except maybe Wasim Akram, pretty much all the Pakistani commentators/ex-players keep throwing out pearls of wisdom regarding India. The aftermath of the loss in the WC game showed their true colours. Ideally, we should avoid all cricket with them - even the one WC game due to the rigged draw. 

Taking inspiration from the Indian Premier League (IPL), Pakistan cricket boss Ramiz Raja is keen on bringing major changes in the Pakistan Super League (PSL), which he feels would aid in generating larger revenue. Speaking to media persons at the National Stadium in Karachi, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman said it is time to “elevate the concept of PSL” and introduce the auction system rather than the ongoing draft system, which has been in function since the inception of the league.

Raja believes PSL can play a major role in generating revenue, which in return will also increase the reputation of the country. The former Pakistan cricketer feels if everything falls in place PSL will emerge as one of the main competitors of IPL, claiming that many cricketers would prefer taking part in the Pakistan T20 league than the latter. 

"We need to create new properties to be financially independent. We have nothing for now but the PSL and ICC funds. There's an argument over the model from next year; I want to switch it to an auction model from next year," Raja was quoted as saying in a report on ESPNCricinfo

"The market forces are conducive, but we'll sit down with the franchise owners to discuss it. This is a game of money. When the cricket economy grows in Pakistan, our respect will rise. The main driver of that financial economy is the PSL. If we take the PSL to auction model, increase the purse, then I'll put it in the IPL bracket. And then we'll see who goes to play the IPL over the PSL," he further explained.

However, we are yet to see how the PSL franchise owners react to Raja's ambitious vision. PSL up till now has been played over a draft system, which allows a comparatively financially weaker franchise to assemble a squad with almost equal strength as others. 

With the draft system in place, all six franchises of PSL have won the tournament at least once in the seven seasons that have been played so far. 

Ramiz also mentioned that PCB was mulling to hold matches in multiple venues in the latest edition, instead of playing at just two. He further hinted that the league might adopt a home-away structure from next year. 

“We want the PSL to be on a home and away basis from next year. The gate money will be excellent, and we want to elevate the concept of the PSL.”

"Every side's purse will increase, and if they want to improve they'll have to spend money. When you go from a draft system to this, the world's talent suddenly becomes available to you. I've spoken to a couple of the franchise owners; they're quite happy to experiment with this. I'll talk to the others, too. It's in the embryonic stages, but it's top of my wish list," he further stated.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/well-see-who-goes-to-play-ipl-pcb-chief-ramiz-raja-hints-big-change-to-elevate-the-concept-of-psl-101647294988747.html

These guys cannot digest their food without going after Endia/Endians on a daily basis

In short, Rameez is saying that he is going to ape the IPL format from Auction to Home-Away matches.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk