Unpopular opinion- Arshdeep Singh does not have a particularly high ceiling.

the don

Depends on how much/quick he can improve. Does anyone remember Mcgrath's start & contrast that say against Gillespie? Of course he won't get close to Mcgrath but even with limited skills if he's disciplined he can improve leaps & bounds, the thing that set Mcgrath from the rest was his mental strength! Among modern day greats only Warne comes close, probably exceeds him in that department.

5 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

I see allot of hate for Arshdeep on ICF.

Let's Analyse his bowling profile and see.

Height - 6.3" - ✓

Pace - 135 to 142 kph - ✓

Inswing to Right Hander -✓

Away Swinger to Right Hander- ✓

Slower Ball - ✓

Slower Ball Bouncer - ✓

Bouncer - ✓

Yorker - ✓

Can you please tell us what is that something you are looking for ?

Floaty pacer who cannot hit the deck hard with length balls. Looks innocuous if no swing is on offer till the death overs come.

And pace is 127 k to 142 k and not 135 k to 142 k.

7 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

I see allot of hate for Arshdeep on ICF.

Let's Analyse his bowling profile and see.

Height - 6.3" - ✓

Pace - 135 to 142 kph - ✓

Inswing to Right Hander -✓

Away Swinger to Right Hander- ✓

Slower Ball - ✓

Slower Ball Bouncer - ✓

Bouncer - ✓

Yorker - ✓

Can you please tell us what is that something you are looking for ?

average fielder and would assume a poor bat  in the Chahal mould based on semantics at least. 

Not a hater. One of the first guys to back him since IPL days.

This is a day and age of well rounded athletes. Missing in that regard. However Bhajji used to be wiry like him but used to smoke huge 6s so hopefully there is more to him.

don’t expect him to be an allrounder but as is the case with most trundlerish bowlers, they need to offer something else.

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Floaty pacer who cannot hit the deck hard with length balls. Looks innocuous if no swing is on offer till the death overs come.

he has played in Dubai, Aus and Ind conditons and so far never seen him get smashed badly so he is doing something right. I do understand sentiment of people not rating him as a future prospect but nothing he has done so far with the ball warrants any criticism whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Disagree. When Buttler and co smashed everyone around, he gave away just 15 off 2. I have seen other bowlers disappear under pressure. He doesn't disappoint. 

17 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I think this is a meagre assumption, not too long ago he bounced a few batsman out in the world cup by hitting the deck, he's capable of hitting the deck when he wants to. 

14 minutes ago, maniac said:

average fielder and would assume a poor bat  in the Chahal mould based on semantics at least. 

Not a hater. One of the first guys to back him since IPL days.

This is a day and age of well rounded athletes. Missing in that regard. However Bhajji used to be wiry like him but used to smoke huge 6s so hopefully there is more to him.

don’t expect him to be an allrounder but as is the case with most trundlerish bowlers, they need to offer something else.

Honestly, i haven't seen him bat, agree that fielding needs improvement, but after that dropped catch in Asia Cup, he hasn't really made a glaring error in the field. Bumrah took his batting seriously and improved leaps and bounds. Maybe  Siraj, Arshdeep,  Umran etc would follow the suit and work on their batting. 

Edited by Sean Bradley