Murali Vijay announces retirement from all forms of International cricket.

tweaker

Good player. Underrated.

I personally feel he had talent and flair  when he started but lack of temperament.

his success came when he limited his range and curbed his  natural flair and became a solid defensive player.

I think he will have a couple of years of playing leagues. Not a bad option either. Will do well on flat league pitches and can destroy spinners especially the low quality ones in leagues.

1 hour ago, Lord said:

Vijay is ahead of Gambhir and Rohit

How? Gambhir's average and runs tally both are better than Vijay. Not much difference but I think Gambhir gets an edge. His Napier knock was iconic in helping India win the series in New Zealand after 40 odd years.

I think I have probably rated Rohit more on the kind of form he showed in 2021. I think by end of this year, he will surpass both.

5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

How? Gambhir's average and runs tally both are better than Vijay. Not much difference but I think Gambhir gets an edge. His Napier knock was iconic in helping India win the series in New Zealand after 40 odd years.

I think I have probably rated Rohit more on the kind of form he showed in 2021. I think by end of this year, he will surpass both.

Vijay better in India,Eng,Aus.Gambhir better in SA,NZ.

Gambhir benefitted a lot by batting alongside Sehwag and in better lineup. That Napier knock was great but ultimately a flat deck and poorer attack than what Vijay faced in NZ.

Rohit misses far too many tough SENA series to be rated. Even KL performed in 2021 Eng

6 hours ago, Lord said:

Vijay better in India,Eng,Aus.Gambhir better in SA,NZ.

Gambhir benefitted a lot by batting alongside Sehwag and in better lineup. That Napier knock was great but ultimately a flat deck and poorer attack than what Vijay faced in NZ.

Rohit misses far too many tough SENA series to be rated. Even KL performed in 2021 Eng

Missing SENA is strategic, as it over inflates your average, protects your position in the team and ensures a long career.

Its the playbook for all Uncles.

Solid batsman for India but not in the top tier of openers. He was a role player. I think Gambo was better than him, or at least more valuable.  India wouldn't have become the number 1 test team in 2009-2011 without Gambhir's insane batting form those 2-3 years. 

Murli Vijay was a solid opener with an unique ability to play both as a dasher as well as a classical Test opener.

He played a crucial role for CSK at the top in IPL with match winning knocks, and then carry forwarded the same with classical knocks for India during the overseas tour of 2013-2015. I think he was one of the MVP players during that era and everyone used to admire his wide array of skills.

Unfortunately, it was short lived and he soon went down the radar.