India v New Zealand : 1st Semi Final : Pre-match discussion thread

8 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Gill averages close to 100 against NZ in the last 2 years. He left psychological scarson them. I understand they will plan for everyone like Iyer, Kohli, Rohitwho himself has done well against NZ with an average of 63.  But their major plan will be against GIll. If he somehow finds his form it will be great. Then SKY is another guy who can bully these army of trundlers. India just has to adapt and play accordingly. I am  bit worried about Iyer. They will have  two card trick against him. Ful ball followed by bouncer or vice versa. Hope he doesn't get tempted. He does well against them generally. This is where guys like Rohit/Kohli have to step up. Iyer is the biggest santner killer we have.

I hope Gill plays with freedom..unlike last time..when he upper cut half hearted and gave easy catch to thirdman against Lockie.

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

No room for failure against a team like NZ.  I understand losing to Australia who has some elements that can completely shock us on a given day. But NZ's forces are controllable. So there will be serious backlash should they fail especially VK and RS fail one more time. 

Also makes them more dangerous IMO in knockouts...they won't do anything fancy but will play controlled cricket and are the side least likely to crumble under pressure. First 10 overs of each innings is where the game will be won or lost for India. Only major issue is that Wankhede can act as an equaliser during the second innings and we can end up with a 5/3 situation again if we are not careful 

6 minutes ago, dilliboy said:

Also makes them more dangerous IMO in knockouts...they won't do anything fancy but will play controlled cricket and are the side least likely to crumble under pressure. First 10 overs of each innings is where the game will be won or lost for India. Only major issue is that Wankhede can act as an equaliser during the second innings and we can end up with a 5/3 situation again if we are not careful 

Tactics should be clear to go after Boult...  He has swung the ball the least & has a tendency to lose the plot after a assault. 

Once he gets hit for 2-3 boundaries...  It's done for him. 

Henry was hardest to put away coz of his nagging lines & length. 

Southee has swung the ball away...  Flashy Gill should watch out for him..  Go down the wicket to him. 

8 minutes ago, Norman said:

The anxiety is killing me right now... :phew:

I'm sure our players will be under severe (to put it mildly) pressure tomorrow. OTOH , NZ have nothing to lose..not even a quarter of their tinpot population will even know that they're playing a World Cup Semi final some 5000 miles away. 

Look at this way. India despite so many unforced error, so many unlucky moments, so much brilliance from NZ so much chaos we almost won it.  We just have to treat this like a bilateral. We should be able to crush them. Hope SKY doesn't bat. But when he bats should be a 40 ball 100

2 hours ago, dilliboy said:

After scoring a 400, they crumbled against the Pak batting attack in that game with DL rain situation. 
NZ are not beyond disarray. If anything, we managed to recover from a 1/3 situation against Australia. I think if it comes down to a battle of nerves, we will win.

They match up very well against India. Even in the group stage , they challenged India more than any other side. Strong matchups, great fielding to back it up and put pressure on our batting lineup.

Also, their batting, even if they are not as explosive as SA/OZ, are less prone to collapses and their top 4 is rock solid.

Their attack averages 28 against right-handed batters and 34 against left handers since 2019 World Cup.  We have seen the likes of Warner, Travis Head, Fakhar Zaman, Quinton, Miller ruthlessly take down their bowlers in this World Cup.

India not only has 6 RHB's in top order but the only bowling type we have not played well is SLA and they can hit us with, potentially, 20 overs of SLA. 

Edited by Nikhil_cric
4 hours ago, Norman said:

The anxiety is killing me right now... :phew:

I'm sure our players will be under severe (to put it mildly) pressure tomorrow. OTOH , NZ have nothing to lose..not even a quarter of their tinpot population will even know that they're playing a World Cup Semi final some 5000 miles away. 

Less than 21 hours to toss. Tomorrow same time , we will be either cheering or crying. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952ebq4kkexoog0561uyu

Not going to lie, far too anxious and nervous about this game. Strange, because I usually don't get this feeling.

Last world cup I didn't invest much time and energy so I was chill. But have been way too much vested into this one.

Edited by Number