KL Rahul as a keeper feels right, not looking to change it - Virat Kohli

Kohli- "Rahul keeping gives us option to play extra batsman"

So he means pant is not good enough as a batsman ??? Didnt he play really well last series , he looked most solid in Semi final collapse. Already dropped him from test where he was doing well. 

Whom do they wanna fit by dropping Pant in t20 ??? Pandey, dhawan 

This is how u make a young player like Pant insecure . Even though i dont take his statements seriously coz he ll wakeup n change his plane in one day but not a good statement to make in public n make someone like Pant insecure. 

1 hour ago, zen said:

Pant is good enough to play in the team as a batsman. His additional USP, like KL, is that he can keep too .... there are better WKs than both Pant and KL in India. These guys are in the team mainly for what they bring to the table with their batting 

no he isnt,are you kidding me? are we watching the same player? he is a leg side hackboy who is very limited on LOI games.teams can routinely choke runs from him by bowling outside off.imo his best format is tests where there is no score pressure .

58 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

no he isnt,are you kidding me? are we watching the same player? he is a leg side hackboy who is very limited on LOI games.teams can routinely choke runs from him by bowling outside off.imo his best format is tests where there is no score pressure .

We are watching the same player from different perspectives. I do not expect every player to be a Kohli or a Tendulkar much like I do not expect every cuisine to taste the same. I judge players based on their strengths, along with potential of youngsters once they start to play at their peak after they have been groomed 

PS Pant can do this:  https://www.iplt20.com/video/153770/rishabh-pant-s-27-ball-78-rampage  .... some great shots vs Bumrah as well! 

Edited by zen

Sorry Pant is a talented batsman but is a horrible keeper. If I was a spinner I would dread if I beat the batsman and Pant is the one collecting the ball. Rahul already has shown better keeping technique than Pant and he is not even a regular keeper. Just because Kohli says Rahul will keep does not mean Pant cannot play as a batsman alone. If Pant is good enough to play as a batsman, why are we worried if Rahul keeps wickets? 

44 minutes ago, zen said:

We are watching the same player from different perspectives. I do not expect every player to be a Kohli or a Tendulkar much like I do not expect every cuisine to taste the same. I judge players based on their strengths, along with potential of youngsters once they start to play at their peak after they have been groomed 

PS Pant can do this:  https://www.iplt20.com/video/153770/rishabh-pant-s-27-ball-78-rampage  .... some great shots vs Bumrah as well! 

no interest in watching IPL vidos against the likes of Dindas and Thakurs of the world.I am basing this off watching him from his U19 days,nothing has changed and i dont see his shots array get better,he is  a leg side hacker  whose run flow can be cut off if you bowl wide of Offstump,He will  play ridiculous shots then and get out.

27 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

no interest in watching IPL vidos against the likes of Dindas and Thakurs of the world.I am basing this off watching him from his U19 days,nothing has changed and i dont see his shots array get better,he is  a leg side hacker  whose run flow can be cut off if you bowl wide of Offstump,He will  play ridiculous shots then and get out.

Most batsmen can be criticized by only focusing on weaknesses as I said not everyone has to be a Kohli or a Tendulkar ....  MI attack with likes of Bumrah in it is good (and better than random U19 attacks) ....  He is a young player, who has not played too many international games  ..... while his potential is there to see  :ahaa:

Edited by zen
56 minutes ago, zen said:

Most batsmen can be criticized by only focusing on weaknesses as I said not everyone has to be a Kohli or a Tendulkar ....  MI attack with likes of Bumrah in it is good (and better than random U19 attacks) ....  He is a young player, who has not played too many international games  ..... while his potential is there to see  :ahaa:

the problem is i dont see any improvement in shot selection ,he is not comfortable hitting on the off side at all.

23 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

the problem is i dont see any improvement in shot selection ,he is not comfortable hitting on the off side at all.

you, probably, need to do some research and watch more videos including of the games vs WI (scored 60 odd of 40 odd balls in one of the games for e.g), IPL, etc.  .... he is also playing per his strengths (not per what others think works) .... and as a power hitter, if he can hit the ball like that, ....

Edited by zen
3 hours ago, cricketpitch said:

Sorry Pant is a talented batsman but is a horrible keeper. If I was a spinner I would dread if I beat the batsman and Pant is the one collecting the ball. Rahul already has shown better keeping technique than Pant and he is not even a regular keeper. Just because Kohli says Rahul will keep does not mean Pant cannot play as a batsman alone. If Pant is good enough to play as a batsman, why are we worried if Rahul keeps wickets? 

Pant is a way better keeper than we give him credit for.  His keeping has deotiriated because of the stupid pressure put on him. He barely made mistakes in IPL and initial matches against spinners. 

Impressed with Rahul’s keeping however the only scary part is Rahul has a history of being extremely fragile and injury prone.

Keepers are usually the fittest people in the team and keeping required a lot of strength and stamina and concentration.

If Rahul can perform with the gloves not compromising on his batting and Vice versa it’s a great thing. He solves a lot of balance issues.

We can play Kul Cha or an extra batsman or accommodate both Jadeja and Pandya who are more than capable 5th and 6th bowlers. Between them it adds depth even though I wouldn’t trust them in a 100/4 or 5 type of scenario.

10 minutes ago, New guy said:

Pant is a way better keeper than we give him credit for.  His keeping has deotiriated because of the stupid pressure put on him. He barely made mistakes in IPL and initial matches against spinners. 

He is not a bad keeper. He is obviously not as good as Saha but he is better than Dhoni keeping to fast bowlers and Dhoni obviously better against spinners. Minus the Dhoni pr machinery they are at the same level as keepers. Pant is the 2nd best keeper in India and in LOIs because Saha doesn’t play, no.1 keeper.

However he has been judged here on his batting. Sorry but he he has no match awareness with the bat.

Rahul is a stop gap. Pant still has time to work on his game. In a perfect world it was the right decision to give him a break however my concern is with the idiots who manage Indian cricket on the field.

I will not go into the merit of this statement but that's right there is another massive flip flop from the legend himself. It will just take a series loss for him to back track and say something else.

P.S. : Pant is dispensable for the ODI side but he is needed in T20s. Virat should not sideline him from T20s.

Pant's selection has been based on his batsmanship and not on his keeping. Keeping was just an additional criteria but never his fundamental strength for selection all this while. If one sees the vast majority of news articles, blogs and comments in different forums including this one, the discussion with respect to Pant has revolved around his batting strengths and weaknesses, his position etc. Keeping has always been secondary and his performance with gloves has left much to be desired. It really depends on what his aspirations are and whether he himself sees keeping as his primary function or atleast equally important as batting and ready to put hours behind that skillset. Pant is not yet Gilchrist or Sangakara or Dhoni or Boucher, but unfortunately  at this point he is not yet Bairstow or Buttler when both batting and keeping skills are under consideration. Does Pant know what he wants - Wicketkeeper batsman, a batsman who can keep or one who is committed to both? It's a different matter that the captain is mad and Team Management is idiot. But just because Kohli has raised the topic indirectly for some other vested interest(we all know why Pant, the keeper, needs to be kept out of playing 11 till 2021, strongly believe he will remain in the LOI squad given his SR capabilities), it does not mean these questions around his keeping will not surface and sooner or later his competition will be with other batsmen who can keep as well. I hope he comes out strong but these questions are bound to arise with time. That's the Hallmark of mentally strong cricketers - Ganguly, Dravid ,Lakshman, Dhoni who have been ridiculed and scratched off but have come back again and again. Can Pant do the same or is he happy with things as they are?