Does India Need a Caste-based Quota in Cricket?

9 hours ago, Gollum said:

I think there is a genuine city-small town-rural divide in Indian cricket though things are improving on that front. Traditionally our players have been from 6-8 of the big cities but in the last few years there is a perceptible change, I think Dhoni might have something to do with small town ambitions soaring, even selectors (largely based in big academies in cities) are slowly waking up to the fact that they aren't tapping our full potential in terms of discovering talent. Indian cricket needs another Dhoni but this time he must be from some random decrepit village. 

Ranchi isn't a small town. 

We are primarily talking about people not getting oppertunity to showcase their talent due to caste based bias. Irrespective of what one says such bias exist and will exist for another 2-3 decades. So till then should we bring in such a policy in sport, such the idea sounds worth discussing however reality is even if such a thing was implemented the like of tejaswini will play and not the ones for whom the quota is actually allocated.

Edited by jf1gp_1
53 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Was never a cricket in city either.

because players used to go to Jamshedpur and Bihar was a ranji trophy team before Jharkhand came in to existence and Dhoni played U19 as well. So, he came through proper channels. Unlike some one like Umesh or Munaf Patel who was the real village boy.

Edited by rkt.india

Are we still talking about this caste crap in this age? I think the ones who talk in favor of this are mostly the laziest and useless people who don't contribute anything to the society. 

But they need to introduce the state-quota system in every national government organizations (administration department), so that the equal priority is given to all the states, including the good-old BCCI. 

13 hours ago, Garuda said:

Quota system is a always gonna fail. How about doing quota system for applicants for medical school :fear1:. Coming back to the article, this seems to me a leftist rag, which is not good for the minorities forget the majority. BCCI will never budge to these articles no matter how serious they may seem. BCCI is interested in making money which requires quality cricket. And BCCI is a private enterprise. So boo hoo

Correct. And this EPW article promptly promoted by the Con Party bast*** Ram Guha is a call for a payout from BCCI. Pay up or we will create a storm with other ring leaders like Shekar Gupta et all. 

14 hours ago, Garuda said:

Quota system is a always gonna fail. How about doing quota system for applicants for medical school :fear1:. Coming back to the article, this seems to me a leftist rag, which is not good for the minorities forget the majority. BCCI will never budge to these articles no matter how serious they may seem. BCCI is interested in making money which requires quality cricket. And BCCI is a private enterprise. So boo hoo

medical schools do have quota.  NEET has 15% reserved seats for SC and 7.5% for STs. Also, their qualifying cut off is less than the cut off marks general students need to achieve.  In NEET 2018, General category needed to score 119 marks in order to qualify while SC/ST/OBC needed 96. It was even lesser 2 years back and ST could qualify with 80 marks.

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Ranchi isn't a small town. 

Compared to Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Chandigarh it is. Moreover Dhoni grew up in the 80s-90s when Ranchi was closer in status to a Dhanbad than a capital city. 

Edited by Gollum

13 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

We should follow a caste based posting system in ICF.

First of all i am against racism, caste etc. So my answer for the op is no

But just curious here, judging by his deep knowledge of astrology I think @velu is a 'pandit' and judging by his sudden glitches, malfunctioning,inability to understand human things and  gibberish i think this bot @Rasgulla is just an electronic device, a faulty electronic gadget :phehe:

Edited by speedheat
8 hours ago, Khota said:

Cricket is an expensive sport and we will always miss out on people from poor background. That is a shame. 

True. Unlike football, it can hardly become a sport which everyone plays.

Even in our school days,, once we managed to get good bat, pads and gloves, played with leather ball but eventually stopped because we were losing balls regularly. Leather ball would travel easily in grass than tennis ball. At that time leather ball used to cost us 50+ rupees (in early 2000s). Few weeks and we had to go back to tennis ball.  

2 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

True. Unlike football, it can hardly become a sport which everyone plays.

Even in our school days,, once we managed to get good bat, pads and gloves, played with leather ball but eventually stopped because we were losing balls regularly. Leather ball would travel easily in grass than tennis ball. At that time leather ball used to cost us 50+ rupees (in early 2000s). Few weeks and we had to go back to tennis ball.  

Cosco Tennis ball was 22-25 rupees