Should ICF arm chair pundits say sorry to Shastri?

G_B_

On 1/7/2019 at 3:58 PM, Samcric said:

I think we are confusing things. Indian team has done admirably. However, I am not sure if anyone knows what Shastri has contributed. But it is clear what he has not. And these are things are related to what a coach should be doing. Team selection is the responsibility of captain and coach - we got it wrong. Adequate match practice - there was almost a disdain for it in South Africa and England. These are things that coach can do something about.

If you ask me if Bharat Arun has contributed, then I will say yes because you hear players talking about his influence on their game. Aussies talked about Langer helping their game. I have not heard a single player come out and say Shastri helped them in their technique or mindset. 

To begin with, I never blamed Shastri because we lost. There were certain things that he didn't plan and do. Hence, I believe it is fair enough that I don't have to praise him just because we won. If you remember, "follow the process" under Gary Kirsten was a great example of how to give yourself the best chance to win a series. That to me, was the best example of a coach doing a fantastic job and many players came out and rated him highly. 

I will happily admit I am wrong if, for example, Pujara comes out tomorrow and credits Shastri for fine-tuning things in his game or helping with his mindset in order to achieve success. Problem is that we have not heard a single player attribute anything to the coach. Very unlikely for a good coach who wants to hog the limelight now (just watch his presser)

What’s been Shastri’s contribution to the team? The setting, with Shastri sitting beside him, wasn’t ideal but it still was interesting to hear his response.

“The contribution he has made is that making people believe that they belong to this level, because at a time when we all went through the difficult period, 2014 for me, and for a lot of other players Shikhar Dhawan in 2015 , to be able to come out of that shell, I can vouch for that, to bring the best out of the players, he is the most important factor,” Kohli warmed up.

In 2014, Kohli had a horror tour of England, sorted out by James Anderson. His technique was exposed, as he struggled to handle the swing and the movement, repeatedly edging to the slip cordon. Former players like Sanjay Manjrekar had blasted Kohli: “Give Virat one more Test … just to be sure he doesn’t belong here,” Manjrekar had tweeted in January 2012. It wasn’t just Manjrekar who had a go then, many did but his tweet best captures the extreme side of the criticism.

We don’t know what mental space Kohli was in those times but by the look of things, it wasn’t all that great.
“I have made more changes to my game listening to him than anyone else in the past,” Kohli said on Thursday. Some of the changes have proved successful. It was on Shastri’s urging that Kohli started to stand outside the crease, a move that helped him counter the swing. It wasn’t easy move – that’s why we didn’t see many other Indian batsmen, if any, do that but Kohli had the self-confidence to follow the suggestion. It was on Shastri’s advice that Kohli started at times taking the off-stump guard almost to Anderson in England during the tour couple of months back.

Shastri’s imprints on technical side was also seen on players other than Kohli during the tour. Though Cheteshwar Pujara had sorted the problem himself, he had got a validation of it when Shastri’s imprints on technical side was also seen on players other than Kohli during the tour. Though Cheteshwar Pujara had sorted the problem himself, he had got a validation of it when Shastri too came up with the same suggestion – of standing more upright in the stance. It was felt that he was crouching a bit too much and it had led to problems in English conditions. Time and again, he was seen chatting with the other batsmen, advising them on other changes.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/is-shastri-a-yes-man-no-says-virat-kohli-5448868/

Does sound a decent amount of work. Shastri's biggest issue has been with team selections and what feels like from outside inability at time to guide Kohli in the right direction.

This guy know thing or two about batting and also he is good communicator.

He is guy who advised Sachin to pull Shane Warne in 1998. He might be boisterous and sound shallow sometimes but I don’t think he would have lasted this long if he didn’t have anything to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

say what you will, he's overseeing a squad that's changing the Indian cricket landscape, potentially forever (mostly on the back of Kohli's hard work). If he's facilitating Kohli to be his best, that's good enough. Too many cooks spoil the broth, hence no need for headmaster like Kumble types with a captain like Kohli. Will create more problems than solutions. 

9 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

say what you will, he's overseeing a squad that's changing the Indian cricket landscape, potentially forever (mostly on the back of Kohli's hard work). If he's facilitating Kohli to be his best, that's good enough. Too many cooks spoil the broth, hence no need for headmaster like Kumble types with a captain like Kohli. Will create more problems than solutions. 

if two people have totally different approach and none are flexible enough to accommodate other , things wont work out like kohli and kumble ..

dada and john wright combo worked well for us , but not dada and chappell    

On 1/8/2019 at 4:14 PM, rkt.india said:

There is no management in Shashtri regime.   

That can't be the case.

We have a very fit and focused fast bowling unit in test matches,  our overall fitness is very good,  our ground fielding is very good,  we have introduced 2 wrist spinners in LOIs removing veteran spinners and we are the No.1 test team for a long time.

All these are big steps in the right direction.

9 hours ago, Kannadiga said:

So the prerequisite, here, is the person has to do well for the state. Even so I don't think not many will be lining up to take up your offer and settle in Tamilnadu :phehe:

Since you are a kannadiga, you should know that the greatest batsman to come from KTK is actually a Maharashtrian :phehe:. Some say Dravid is a Tamil Iyengar name but who knows. He and other KTK players of his generation played for India cements in Chennai (yes Srini's company :phehe:). Srini gave a salary to cricketers who were not paid well by the state association at that time. A lot of KTK players like Dodda Ganesh, David johnson, Venky Prasad were picked because of Gundappa Viswanath who was head of BCCI at the time.

And BTW there were players who represented TN in the past and present. Venkataraghavan, Sivaramakrishnan, Srikkanth, Balaji and now Vijay, Ashwin, and Karthik. Your stadium is named after M Chinnaswamy who was Tamil. So much for Kannadiga pride :hysterical: what happened to KLRahul Richards cant find a run anywhere :laugh: Mayank Aggarwal is a northie. Karun nair is a mallu. LOL

You seem to be full of yourself here. You are a throwback to all the regional division within cricket.

Edited by Real McCoy
35 minutes ago, express bowling said:

That can't be the case.

We have a very fit and focused fast bowling unit in test matches,  our overall fitness is very good,  our ground fielding is very good,  we have introduced 2 wrist spinners in LOIs removing veteran spinners and we are the No.1 test team for a long time.

All these are big steps in the right direction.

Shhhh. Dont say it loud. Bharat Arun will be fired for doing "Not Approved" things. Our bowlers are not complaining about holidays, familytime and spouse on overseas trip.

13 hours ago, Kannadiga said:

So the prerequisite, here, is the person has to do well for the state. Even so I don't think not many will be lining up to take up your offer and settle in Tamilnadu :phehe:

well it is what it is, TN is open to other Indians coming in and succeeding, they treat them as their own its natural..there are too many cases, lot or Kannadigas too , jaya, Arjun Sarja, Prakash rai the list goes on and on.

On 1/7/2019 at 5:47 PM, velu said:

image.png

jupiter transiting 10th house .. damn good for profession/business for atleast for another 10 months

saturn his lucky charm planet in 11th house .. damn good for another 1 year

wont be surprised if we win world cup 2019 all because of his kundli :aha: 

@Temujin Khaghan  correct kya ? :hmmmm:

edit:-

if this is shastris real horoscope , we will do pretty well for another 1 year .. no trolling @Laaloo

Most online sources are fake as far as birth details of celebrities are concerned. Incorrect birth details means waste of time looking at horoscope.