The Dullest Cricket Team

Dull Cricket  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these is the boring most side

10 hours ago, MechEng said:

All LOIs teams are boring right now. Six hitting looks so easy now.

I think ODIs died the day tailunt smashed 264. Batting was never the same after that innings.

Yeah 2 new balls killed the game and punished the bowlers 

8 hours ago, Gollum said:

How can anyone not call India's ODI/T20 teams boring/dull? 

People who rate dullness based on cricket (not off field tamasha/clowning) may find it difficult to look beyond teams like India in LOIs 

20 minutes ago, zen said:

People who rate dullness based on cricket (not off field tamasha/clowning) may find it difficult to look beyond teams like India in LOIs 

I think India has the most 300+ scores in recent times after England. You are the cricket stats expert, why don’t you see for yourself?

9 hours ago, Gollum said:

How can anyone not call India's ODI/T20 teams boring/dull? 

Bangladesh are the worst I feel in at least T20s. The series between them and Pakistan earlier this year was unbearable. They have no real hitters in their batting at all and lack genuine pacers or any leggies. Everything about them screams ordinary.

3 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

Bangladesh are the worst I feel in at least T20s. The series between them and Pakistan earlier this year was unbearable. They have no real hitters in their batting at all and lack genuine pacers or any leggies. Everything about them screams ordinary.

That is BD's  aukaat. OTOH we have so  many exciting talents, yet we refuse to give them chances, we refuse to change our monotonous game style. 100x more irritating. 

24 minutes ago, maniac said:

I think India has the most 300+ scores in recent times after England. You are the cricket stats expert, why don’t you see for yourself?

If par scores are higher at venues a team plays at, they will get mire opportunities to get a bigger total. It is how a top team approaches its game that defines dull or interesting cricket. A weak team would be limited by its resources so have to factor that in as well when judging teams 

On 7/11/2020 at 1:17 PM, Mariyam said:

s there any NZ cricketer who would be remembered 20 years from now? Is there any NZ cricketer from the 80s/90s who we recognise as an all time great today?

Remembered 20 years from now?

Williamson, Taylor, Boult

From 80's / 90's?

Hadlee, Crowe, Fleming (splits the 90's and 2000's)

Others

McCullum, Vettori

Just because you focus on WWE / pyjama bush league cricket doesn't mean others are not aware of fine play from other countries.

“Maybe a few Englishmen would have been emotionally involved” 

That was the most emotionally involved I’ve ever been in a cricket match and would have been the same if we’d played Afghanistan! Nothing will ever surpass it. I wasn’t the only one either as the videos posted after the game of people watching and celebrating the last ball will tell you

Kohli’s Indian ODI team prior to the 2019 World Cup was easily one of the most boring batting wise. 

Top 3 would bat out the first 30 overs and then you have TTFs Rayudu, Karthik and Jadhav to follow. Dhoni would be somewhere in the middle sucking out all the momentum while batting against spinners. Poor Hardik never got to bat up the order due to these TTFs blocking spots. 

I feel now that we are improving in this regard with the likes of Rahul, Iyer, Agarwal, Shaw and Gill all being considered for ODIs. Hardik will also bat at #6 now since Sir Jadeja will take up the #7 spot. Let’s see how it goes! 

On 7/11/2020 at 2:11 PM, Mariyam said:

Which team diminishes your interest in the game? Which team makes cricket totally unwatchable?

Which team is bad news for international cricket from a marketing PoV?

I am going to go with New Zealand.

Our semi final loss in the world cup, was one of the worst things that could have happened to world cricket.

A bunch of marketable 'stars' losing to relative nobodies doesn't do the sport any good. An India England final would have been a spectacle. One in which Indians would be emotionally involved. And maybe a few Englishmen too.

New Zealand is an effective side, which is basically a team is greater than sum of parts type outfit. In my living memory there has been no controversy around their side/players. They hardly have any recognisable faces. Most people wouldn't know a NZ cricketer if one walked past them in the street. Can't even name 5 NZ cricketers from all their sides combined. Williamson, Vettori, Ross Taylor. Who else? Bevan (not sure)? Bond; who I remember only because of the name.

I am glad England won that world cup. And I am glad the won it the way they did.

And these guys aren't even marketable locally. To further illustrate my point, go back to the forgettable champions trophy of 2017. NZ were sponsored by Amul. That is right, for a nation whose economic mainstay is sheep rearing/ milk production, Amul sponsoring their national team is an achievement of sorts. But this post is not about the greatness of Amul. Amul was their sponsor so that the Amul could get some "shelf time" for the Indian TV audiences. 

Another really dull side is Sri Lanka after the WC 2011 final. They've had a forgettable decade. After the likes of Malinga/Arnold retired from their side, there is no one to fill the gaps talent wise. All our recent games with them have been very one sided. Even Bangladesh put up so much more fight.

What are your views?

During FIFA 2018 WC I made a thread comparing top 12 cricket teams with football teams. Some things have changed since then but still....Reproducing the comparisons here. In general Italy and England are considered the most boring teams in football, their equivalents in cricket (IMO) are India and England. 

On 7/16/2018 at 1:13 AM, Gollum said:

In light of the recent FIFA World Cup, thought of comparing the cricket teams with football teams based upon history/ability/achievements/mindset/resources yada yada.

1. West Indies: Brazil

• Calypso/Samba...free spirited
  • Greatest teams of all time once upon a time but not so successful in the last 20 odd years
  • Greatest players....all time XIs will have max players from their countries
  • Loved by all
  • Immense natural talent which drives them to success without a strong domestic set up
  • Swag/Flair

2. Australia: Germany

• Overall very successful
  • Competitive in every era
  • Very consistent in World Cups
  • Many ATGs (2nd highest)
  • Very organized, disciplined with high precision and scientific approach to the game
  • Ruthless
  • Excellent domestic structure and youth programmes which was/is able to consistently churn out high quality players

3. India: Italy

• Probably in terms of big success behind only Australia (Germany) and WI (Brazil)
  • Punched above its weight and knocked out fancier teams in the past to win big trophies
  • Mediocre for large parts but still a great history with a few top tier ATGs
  • Both are very defensive teams (bowling=attack, batting=defence :p:) with max ATGs in defensive department (India=batsmen, Italy=defenders and GK)
  • For most parts in big tourneys both are mentally tough units, very dogged
  • India often stopped mighty WI('83)/Australia(ATG test streak) just like how Italy stopped many pre tournament favorites like Brazil, France, Germany in the past.
  • Good domestic structure.....Ranji=slightly below par, IPL=best in the world, average it out
  • Both countries are fixing/corruption hubs in their respective sports

4. Pakistan: Argentina

• Chaotic, mercurial, unpredictable
  • Have won the big trophies but not yet as successful as 1-3
  • Individual brilliance, X factor
  • Lack of cohesion, full of controversies and soap operas
  • Achieved success under strong dictatorial leaders
  • Propensity to cheat :two_thumbs_up: with innovations like ball tampering, chucking, Hand of God, fixing...
  • Unapologetic about cheating incidents in the past, they wear it like a badge of honour :yay:
  • Domestic Structure LOL

5. England: England

• Invented the sport but watched other teams excel more
  • Rich history but most greats from bygone era
  • English media
  • Historically the best domestic structure with great prestige, finest of the game have polished their skills in England.....finishing school for many ATGs
  • Boring sides
  • Nostalgia tards
  • Ugly yet effective style of play, tenacious spirit which helped them perform beyond their capabilities

6. Sri Lanka: France

• Won all their trophies post 90s, since then possibly most consistent teams in big events
  • Produced many freakish talents
  • Very successful in a short span
  • At their best as good as any of the other ATG units
  • Tactically top notch
  • Nice fakers, often resort to underhand means

7. South Africa: Netherlands

• Never won a WC in spite of being favorites many times, greatest nations to not win the ultimate prize in their disciplines
  • Exceptional talent, very skilled
  • Cryuff=Kallis...objectively greatest but not rated as GOATs by pundits

8. New Zealand: Belgium

• Punch above weight
  • No standout ATG but many excellent players who gel well
  • Never came close to winning a WC
  • Honest triers
  • Universally liked

9. Bangladesh: Some African country (Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria????)

• Lots of funds pumped in by governing body
  • 1-2 high quality players surrounded by a bunch of mediocre players
  • Occasionally upset higher ranked teams
  • Too many false dawns
  • Very passionate fanbase
  • Perpetual victim mentality

10. Zimbabwe: Turkey

• Had many good players in 90s, early 2000s
  • Childhood nostalgia for kids who followed global events in late 90s and early 2000s
  • Andy Flower=Hakan Sukur, both ATGs who were overlooked because they didn't play for the big boys, both exiled for their political stance
  • Quite weak now and may have to wait for a few years before they are taken seriously again
  • Zimbabwe/Turkey origin players helped other top tier teams achieve great success eg Flower brothers for England(test no 1)/Pakistan(CT) while Ozil played a big role for Germany in 2014 WC.
  • Political problems, dictators, human rights violations etc spilled over to sports and sullied the image of their national teams.

11. Afghanistan: Egypt

• Countries in turmoil because of terrorism, war, political/social unrest->cricket/football being major outlets for national identity/unity
  • Success a triumph of human spirit in times of great adversity
  • Only in recent times have they made a global splash
  • Rashid Khan (SRH)=Mohammed Salah (Liverpool), both took their famous leagues by storm and achieved great popularity...both proud symbols of their nations, both full of style/panache
  • Talented but very raw, will take time to mature but have serious potential

12. Ireland: Iceland

• Small countries
  • Playing for a long time but only in recent times have they qualified for big events
  • Mostly unknown players but whole greater than sum of parts
  • Both gave England lots of heartburn in the big stage....WC 2011 group game and Euro 2016 sending the inventors of the sport into mourning :phehe:
  • Players who carried them this far are old and close to retirement, worries about future because young talent doesn't look that promising....may face a steep decline that will set them back by a few more years.

Feel free to add your choices...I don't follow football like I used to as a kid. I may have made some wrong assumptions and got a few observations wrong. But honestly quite difficult to find equivalents which everyone will agree upon :confused:. Pretty sure many ICFers are more knowledgeable in this regard !!!!