Has Rohit Sharma been dropped?

His injury is nothing serious and even practicing in nets for Mumbai Indians. He may even play the knock-out matches of the IPL if Mumbai reaches there. But surprisingly he has been omitted from the entire Australian tour. There is still more than a month to go for 1st test and he is not even picked there. Also, during this time we cant fly in players from India whenever we want due to Covid 19 restrictions & quarantine rules. Hence the reason was more to keep Rohit in the squad, let him quarantine with the team and once fit can play.

But why has he been not picked for any format? Has he been dropped?

Even Gavaskar is asking for more transparency on the Rohit case:

Australia vs India: Sunil Gavaskar Feels Rohit Sharma's Injury Status Deserves "Little Bit Of Transparency"

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/australia-vs-india-fans-have-a-right-to-know-about-rohit-sharma-injury-situation-says-sunil-gavaskar-2316386

my conspiracy theory:

new selector is from karnataka and want to make sure kl secures his place in test team. virat who is facing a lot of heat for his captaincy sensed a threat from rohit and made a deal with sunil joshi to drop rohit citing his fitness as the reason and appoint kl as the vc. this way he can also get back into test side as the opener. 

source: my vivid imagination

I hope its just selectors being over cautious though. last thing we need is these camps in the team

Disgraceful decision if he has been dropped.

Should be part of Test Squad at least as tests start in mid december.

Test Batting line up excluding Rohit is mediocre at Best, Aussie Bowlers will have field day:

Ideal line up for Tests should be:

Rohit S

Mayank A

C Pujara (Probably last tour of Australia for him)

V Kohli

S Gill

Kl Rahul (Better Position to restart test career) 

However, the captain will pick the following:

Kl Rahul (Poor test record)/P Shaw/S Gill

M Agarwal

C Pujara (Old, uninspiring batting, same tactics as last tour won't work)

V Kohli

A Rahane (Medicore)

H Vihari (Medicore)

8 hours ago, Serpico said:

my conspiracy theory:

new selector is from karnataka and want to make sure kl secures his place in test team. virat who is facing a lot of heat for his captaincy sensed a threat from rohit and made a deal with sunil joshi to drop rohit citing his fitness as the reason and appoint kl as the vc. this way he can also get back into test side as the opener. 

source: my vivid imagination

I hope its just selectors being over cautious though. last thing we need is these camps in the team

Another one.. which is very much plausible in the realm of reality 

Kohli doesnt want any competition for his kaptaincy and dropped Rohit on the grounds of fitness. 

24 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Rohit's career is over due to his recurring hamstring issues. You don't know when he gets injured.

Hamstring issue at 32 is not a career sentence, especially if you are a batsman.

It can be easily reolved with proper workout regime. Its not like he had torn MRI/ACL tear which can be a career sentence for a lot of players. 

What an utter disgrace. Right from 2019 WC, Kohli has been insecure, not surprised to see he has got Rohit dropped on the pretext of an injury. Thats one big threat to his captaincy out of the way.

If Rohit's injury is enough to keep him out, on what basis has Mayank been picked? He is also injured, but has been picked in all three squads

I remember that a guideline was issue by BCCI that the injuries of players during IPL should be informed to BCCI by respective franchisees.

Perhaps due to such an abiding rule, BCCI selectors are aware of seriousness of the injury and hence may have reasoned that the recovery is unlikely in short time. However, as various posters have mentioned on thsi forum that we shall come to know if he plays a match for MI.

5 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Hamstring issue at 32 is not a career sentence, especially if you are a batsman.

It can be easily reolved with proper workout regime. Its not like he had torn MRI/ACL tear which can be a career sentence for a lot of players. 

He is getting injured almost every series now. He himself had said his hamstring injury was career threatening.

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

Donno why people are backing him as a test opener.  He is an average test player overseas.  Good riddance from Test format.  Now hope one among Gill/Shaw score runs along with Agarwal. 

In T20 he takes time to settle & had a mediocre IPL.  Agarwal with Rahul can form a deadly combo. 

ODI is the only format where he will be missed 

true but ODIs are scheduled first,if he cant play in them then the selectors might feel they may as well axe him for the rest of the tour.