Reasons why Indian team and other Franchises should now look upto Mumbai Indians on how to play t20 cricket and build a franchise.

Ankit_sharma03

Agree with you on most parts, the attack attack mentality is what i want to see in indian cricket team but

Hardik pandya has a high score of 30 odd in t20is. Its foolish to even compare this pyjama league with internationals. Suryakumar yadav is an ok batsman but i am sure he won't be pulling of these kinds of score against international teams. 

Pant has been given enough backing, like 30 t20s is good enough but he was never consistent(although i like him very much). 

Also the weak link of this MI team is Mr Rohit Sharma himself and he is the opener in our team. 

3 hours ago, Adamant said:

Agree with you on most parts, the attack attack mentality is what i want to see in indian cricket team but

Hardik pandya has a high score of 30 odd in t20is.

check the number of balls he has faced, he hardly gets time

Dhawan, Rohit, KL, Kohli, iyer, jaddu, dhoni , manish all have wasted so many overs in t20si

Its foolish to even compare this pyjama league with internationals. Suryakumar yadav is an ok batsman but i am sure he won't be pulling of these kinds of score against international teams. 

he wud or wud not remains to be seen but atleast its important to try right kind of players 

Pant has been given enough backing, like 30 t20s is good enough but he was never consistent(although i like him very much). 

He has been in n out , point is u back match winner to whatever extent possible 

Take DK even he wasnt used properly, right kind of t20 player 

Also the weak link of this MI team is Mr Rohit Sharma himself and he is the opener in our team. 

Rohit plays same way for both, How can a tournament winning captain be a weak link. 

They work as a team , some days some work some day other.....the idea is intent and match winning skill

7 hours ago, Adamant said:

Suryakumar yadav is an ok batsman but i am sure he won't be pulling of these kinds of score against international teams. 

How do you know this unless you try him in internationals?

I think he is competent enough and that appeared in his performances recently.  Yesterday he was bossing an international level bowling attack with his relentless assaults.

Edited by speedheat

MI has a great batting line up but it's Bumrah and Boult who add a whole different dimension. SKY has been very good but I feel even someone like Mayank Agarwal could have done a similar job. Ishan Kishan has been a revelation and AGAIN showed how important #4 position is. The Indian team doesn't even have a #4.

3 minutes ago, Sandeep99 said:

MI has a great batting line up but it's Bumrah and Boult who add a whole different dimension. SKY has been very good but I feel even someone like Mayank Agarwal could have done a similar job. Ishan Kishan has been a revelation and AGAIN showed how important #4 position is. The Indian team doesn't even have a #4.

yea at the end its bowling that wins u game but Indian teams bowling is fine problem is lack of intent in batting which also has been problem for many franchises. 

The intent MI batsman have shown has made the difference, its not that other teams dont have aggresive batsman 

10 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Up until now I use to say how team shud look at CSK on how to build a healthy team enviorment but MI has taken it a step further not only they have build a great team enviorment but they have also build a highly skillful side for next decade . Not only that they are playing the brand of cricket which england is playing currently or australia use to play. 

Its always good to learn from others 

First ill talk about reason why Indian team should look at MI on how to play t20 cricket

1. Attack Attack Attack - In one of the interviews its was sky or kishen mentioned how they have planned to attack and never let opposition take the momentum away. Any batsman who comes to the crease starts attacking and before the opposition realize they have lost the advantage.  Indian team on other hand is filled with batsman whose s/r is around or less then 130. Add to that we either have slow starters or most slow down in middle overs. Each n ever batsman in MI can runaway with the game all by himself. 
  2. Left Right Left Right batting combo- t20 is all about variation and disruption and nothing more troubles bowlers then left right combo, Sadly for Indian team leftie have always meant dhawan n jaddu who have sucked in t20i. Hight time Indian team should concentrate on right kind of left handers - Devdutt, kishen and Pant shud be always in plan. Pant has lost the form now but even when he was in form he was benched mostly. These slight alternations ends up making a massive difference 
    England has - stokes , malan, morgan, moeen ali, curran, willey 
    WI- Lewis, heytmer, pooran, narine 
  3. Backing their Power hitter Especially Pollard - Power hitter are such a rare breed that when u get them stick with them and use them well. Many forget that how many rough yrs has pollard had with MI , every years fans use to make jokes of selling him on OLX but MI stuck by him. When he got his form better and pandya emerged look what a combo they become. People go bonker on pandya fore few failures dont understand that it is impossible for any power hitter to come in every game with 8-10 balls left and have consistent big  score when expectation is high risk. Many wonder why maxwell goes for so much money every year well the answer is he one of those rare breeds that arent in much abundance in world only. Indian team on other hand have wasted DK the finisher for many years so has KKR , now SKY who has been doing well for few yrs is still not in selection and we all know how poorly was pant backed. 
  4. Only 2 consolidators - De kock and rohit thats it and they can also go bonkers on many days, in t20 thats the max number of consolidators a team shud have - 2. We have one after another after another 

How to build a great franchise 

1. International experienced coaching staff- As great bharat arun has been but he can never help players at certain phases, at the end it was jason gillespie who fixed Ishant wrist problems.  With a think tank like Mahela, Zak, Sachin, Bond captain doesnt have much of work to do . Im sure kohli wud have realized this by working with katich n hesson as their homework was so thorough. Indian team needs more international experienced player in coaching staff that takes burden off the captain . Year after year they have had the best brains in dressing room and that to many and yet none got bigger then the team. 
  2. Excellent Fitness and injury management- There was a reason hardik n bumrah trusted MI with their injuries more then NCA and result is to be seen - no relapse till now but on the other hand Bhuvi and Saha injuries has been constantly botched up. They paid for Alazzari joseph operation and all and among the young player no players fitness has declined . 
  3. Workload management - No better example then Pandya this season, they havent forced him to bowl and gave him rest for 2 games. Hardik not bowling has affected their balance but they havent compromised or put pressure on him. On the other hand Stokes n Russell have bowled with injuries 
  4. Off season camps- Surely they cant work much with international stars like Hardik n Bumrah but they make sure they work on guys who are on bench every year during off season like Aditya tare in past or even Alzarri joseph  who flown in Specially from WI for an off season camp . Only other franchise i have seen till now doing this is KKR and they also be a side to watch in next decade. Whereas in Indian team no one checks that has a player even worked on his weakness during the time when he was dropped- rayudu, rahane, raina all came back in national side with same problems. 
  5. Progress among young players is remarkable - I dont know what exactly is the secret but player who came in as youngsters have only taken their game to next level - hardik, bumrah , Rahul chahar, Kishen. Pant has declined, Kuldeep has declined , Rahul declined under our TM so they need to check what they are doing right and our TM is doing wrong. When spinners get found out in 2nd season here their is rahul chahar who is gone at a different level. Kishen who use to struggle a bit against high pace bouncers is now getting in great positions where as Nitish rana still has the same problem. SKY batting against pace has massively improved. Hardik bowling improved remarkably from 2018 season . 
  6. Role of Vice captain - When u See MI you can see the influence of Pollard whereas in Indian team Rohit as Vice captain hasnt been used to a good extent. Rohit always talks about backing players which has been missing, the minute he becomes captain players get proper backing for the tournament. 
  7. 8 overs of high quality international bowling- Not this season with NCN or pattinson but previosuly MI reason for success has been 2 overseas fast bowlers who make them very strong which DC followed and now others shud to . If u have bumrah, saini,bhuvi,  chahar, chahal you are lucky but then also make them even more stronger rather adding more fire power. If RR finds a good support for Archer n SRH for Rashid they ll be top sides. Even CSK at their best had Bravo, tahir, Ngidi/ Bollinger 
  8. Backing Backing backing - they back their players like anything and captain has a huge role where as other franchise and even fans talk about chopping n changing when they know it hasnt worked ever. 

Rest scouting talent and building Indian core is something most teams are doing correctly now. I wish MI great success in next decade as it will lead other teams to follow their model and become better. 

In past i never liked MI but this season the cricket they have played and the professionalism they have shown their is now no doubt in my mind that MI has been the greatest franchise of IPL, to hell with money jokes they have put the money in right place 

Great write-up but I will put the No.1 thing that the Team Management needs to do - Picking the right players for T20 format as selectors as well as Captain always seem to mix formats.

MI is simply a fantastic franchise! The never-say-die brand of cricket they play is nothing but admirable and the fact that they are doing this so often just points to their fundamentals being extremely strong. I can't think of another team, wherein the stand-in captain comes in and the team goes on, as though nothing has changed. It's almost on cruise control! The depth MI has built up and the new talent, they provide chances each season is exceptional.

Rohit, as a leader, has clearly shown his tactical acumen over the years. If Rohit can stay fit and in form, it would be quite fitting for him to captain the team at the 2023 CWC. That might give Team India the best chance of another home CWC win!

Read in one of the interviews that SKY and Kishan's role is to take it till 12th over and then go really hard. From 13th over on, either they score quick runs or get out and handover to Pollard/Pandyas. This is great role clarity for numbers 3/4. But you need the hitting quality of Pollard, HPandya and insurance of KPandya at 5,6,7 to have such a template.

Indian team simply doesn't have a Pollard/Russell level player to follow this template. We have always been relying on one of the top order batsman to get set and go beserk in the slog. As a matter of fact, only 2 international sides can boast of such a strong 5/6/7 - England and WI - to follow the MI template.

Despite IPL, such lower order hitters haven't really come through. Until we have a couple of awesome hitters, the plan wouldn't change even if a different coach or captain take over.