Head Coach Ravi Shastri delivers a dressing room speech at Gabba

Here's the thing:

Ravi Shastri's methods work well when the team is down, scratching and clawing.  In those times you need someone to tell you you are awesome even when you are failing and help you regain your confidence.  But it fails - and we have seen this happen too - when the team is complacent and lackadaisical and needs someone to light a fire under their butts.  The best coaches will know when to push one button and when to push the other.  Shastri's remote has only one button.**

I think it will be the same thing with Rahane's captaincy.  His reassuring presence worked like magic when that's what the team needed.  But there may be a time when someone is truly slacking and needs a bit of kick-in-the-butt and Rahane cannot give it.  Then we will be complaining about his body language.    

**Effin Kumble too had only one button, the opposite one.  He was berating and demeaning the players when they were already down and out after the CT17 finals.  

3 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Here's the thing:

Ravi Shastri's methods work well when the team is down, scratching and clawing.  In those times you need someone to tell you you are awesome even when you are failing and help you regain your confidence.  But it fails - and we have seen this happen too - when the team is complacent and lackadaisical and needs someone to light a fire under their butts.  The best coaches will know when to push one button and when to push the other.  Shastri's remote has only one button.**

I think it will be the same thing with Rahane's captaincy.  His reassuring presence worked like magic when that's what the team needed.  But there may be a time when someone is truly slacking and needs a bit of kick-in-the-butt and Rahane cannot give it.  Then we will be complaining about his body language.    

**Effin Kumble too had only one button, the opposite one.  He was berating and demeaning the players when they were already down and out after the CT17 finals.  

Interesting. But I don’t see any evidence for your assertion. Rahane has captained 4 tests and won 3. He has captained in décider test minus Kohli in Dharamsala when team was not down but had to win. 

On Kumble too, unless you had an inside dressing room perspective I don’t see any evidence here. I mean we have consistently choked in all ICC events under Kohli and Shastri. So, how is Kumble the differentiating factor. 

To me, anyone with any cricketing insight sees the captain on the field and within one hour it is possible to make out which one is natural leader and which one is not. We try to deconstruct it and give it names but truth is some are just born with it. 

3 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Interesting. But I don’t see any evidence for your assertion. Rahane has captained 4 tests and won 3. He has captained in décider test minus Kohli in Dharamsala when team was not down but had to win. 

On Kumble too, unless you had an inside dressing room perspective I don’t see any evidence here. I mean we have consistently choked in all ICC events under Kohli and Shastri. So, how is Kumble the differentiating factor. 

To me, anyone with any cricketing insight sees the captain on the field and within one hour it is possible to make out which one is natural leader and which one is not. We try to deconstruct it and give it names but truth is some are just born with it. 

Kumble:  https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/anil-kumble-india-vs-pakistan-icc-champions-trophy-final-983871-2017-06-21

Rahane and Shastri:  Humble Opinion.  

1 minute ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

In my humble opinion, it is still in realm of conjecture. Shastri would also have blasted in many instances. We don’t have stories because we don’t have a fallout. I am happy to concede that I don’t know. 

Like Shane Warne, I tend to think role of coach in cricket  is overrated beyond a certain. Perhaps a mentor is better word. 

Just now, ravishingravi said:

In my humble opinion, it is still in realm of conjecture. Shastri would also have blasted in many instances. We don’t have stories because we don’t have a fallout. I am happy to concede that I don’t know. 

Like Shane Warne, I tend to think role of coach in cricket  is overrated beyond a certain. Perhaps a mentor is better word. 

Fair enough.  But this is an unscientific endeavor anyway given the limited information we have. 

One connects dots gathered from years of observations and life experiences, and creates hypotheses.  I look at it from a teacher's lens.  As a teacher myself, when a hardworking student comes to my office crying because they failed a test, I don't give them a list of all the reasons why they will never make it in Biochemistry.  I tell them kindly why they are good enough - it's a time to cheerlead.  Shastri, time and time again, comes across as a cheerleader.  "We are the best." speeches in press conferences flow from his mouth even after defeats!  Then, starting with MCG, I see the team rise from the dead and  make the connection - "see, they were failing and he probably gave them the needed confidence with his cheerleading!"  

Conversely, Kumble comes across as a savant of the game and well-versed in the Xs and Os, but how could such a man lose the team? Then the report comes out that he gave them a tongue-lashing when they were already feeling bad.  Then the dots connect "well, that's not how you treat players who are themselves feeling down."  

As for Rahane, it stands to reason that a team in a cycle of bad luck would do better with a calm gentle leader rather than an in-your-face screamer.   

1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Fair enough.  But this is an unscientific endeavor anyway given the limited information we have. 

One connects dots gathered from years of observations and life experiences, and creates hypotheses.  I look at it from a teacher's lens.  As a teacher myself, when a hardworking student comes to my office crying because they failed a test, I don't give them a list of all the reasons why they will never make it in Biochemistry.  I tell them kindly why they are good enough - it's a time to cheerlead.  Shastri, time and time again, comes across as a cheerleader.  "We are the best." speeches in press conferences flow from his mouth even after defeats!  Then, starting with MCG, I see the team rise from the dead and  make the connection - "see, they were failing and he probably gave them the needed confidence with his cheerleading!"  

Conversely, Kumble comes across as a savant of the game and well-versed in the Xs and Os, but how could such a man lose the team? Then the report comes out that he gave them a tongue-lashing when they were already feeling bad.  Then the dots connect "well, that's not how you treat players who are themselves feeling down."  

As for Rahane, it stands to reason that a team in a cycle of bad luck would do better with a calm gentle leader rather than an in-your-face screamer.   

That is grossly underselling Shastri on tactical aspect and vastly overselling Kumble as a tactician.

11 minutes ago, putrevus said:

That is grossly underselling Shastri on tactical aspect and vastly overselling Kumble as a tactician.

Probably.  Message board opinions are mainly based on the public personas and opinions presented in news articles.  None of us can claim to know the real story.  One day, when this group of guys retires and writes books, we will know more.