Greg Chappell: Only surprise is that anyone can compete with India at all

Effusive praise of India. Good to read, even bongs will like this

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/only-surprise-is-that-anyone-can-compete-with-india-at-all-20210122-p56w4d.html

The Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu said, “There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”

Did the Australian think-tank underestimate India once the Adelaide Test was won and Virat Kohli had gone home?”

The biggest mistake was playing the same four bowlers in every Test. For pacemen, playing four Tests in five weeks is akin to running four marathons in as many weeks. There were signs in Sydney that Mitchell Starc, in particular, was jaded.

Hundreds of millions in India were delirious with the result, and Indian broadcasters beside themselves with glee. Hopefully, there will be another 200m converts to Test cricket in that country, which can only be a good thing for a format.

Our young cricketers are weekend warriors compared to their Indian compatriots, who get challenging matchplay from the Under-16 age group onwards. As cricket is THE major sport in India, the best athletes in the country are playing the game and competition for state places is fierce.

Academic endeavour slips into the background for most of these lads at this age because, as one 16-year-old told me at the 2012 Youth World Cup in Townsville when asked about his schooling, “Sir, I don’t go to school. I will only get one chance at cricket, I can study at any time.”

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Effusive praise of India. Good to read, even bongs will like this

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/only-surprise-is-that-anyone-can-compete-with-india-at-all-20210122-p56w4d.html

The Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu said, “There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”

Did the Australian think-tank underestimate India once the Adelaide Test was won and Virat Kohli had gone home?”

The biggest mistake was playing the same four bowlers in every Test. For pacemen, playing four Tests in five weeks is akin to running four marathons in as many weeks. There were signs in Sydney that Mitchell Starc, in particular, was jaded.

Hundreds of millions in India were delirious with the result, and Indian broadcasters beside themselves with glee. Hopefully, there will be another 200m converts to Test cricket in that country, which can only be a good thing for a format.

Our young cricketers are weekend warriors compared to their Indian compatriots, who get challenging matchplay from the Under-16 age group onwards. As cricket is THE major sport in India, the best athletes in the country are playing the game and competition for state places is fierce.

Academic endeavour slips into the background for most of these lads at this age because, as one 16-year-old told me at the 2012 Youth World Cup in Townsville when asked about his schooling, “Sir, I don’t go to school. I will only get one chance at cricket, I can study at any time.”

quite a turnaround from the times when Gangs went wooing Greg  after 2003 ( whatta mistake that was !! )  to this .... very satisfying. :biggrin1: :dance:

8 hours ago, GautiMaan said:

That is why sub standard performances in World Cups and CTs irks us,with this level of talent we should be dominating like Aus of old.

India A has won every single limited overs series/ tournament it has played in the last 3-4 years in Aus, Eng, SA, WI, NZ and at home. There has to be something good about those youngsters.

But then we are stuck with a boneheaded captain who has won nothing of note in limited overs cricket at the senior level except some bilaterals. Safe to say we are not going to win an ICC trophy (Test or LOI) under his captaincy

7 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

India A has won every single limited overs series/ tournament it has played in the last 3-4 years in Aus, Eng, SA, WI, NZ and at home. There has to be something good about those youngsters.

But then we are stuck with a boneheaded captain who has won nothing of note in limited overs cricket at the senior level except some bilaterals. Safe to say we are not going to win an ICC trophy (Test or LOI) under his captaincy

Agree, no one in their right mind would play Rayudu, Jadhav or DK ahead of some of these guys 

16 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

India should win one icc wc under virat kohli captaincy. He is already achieved so much as batsman.just one icc cup win under his captaincy needed. I think India will win wtc or wt20 under kohli captaincy.

Edited by King6
Spelling mistakes

Greg is writing lot of nonsense, Other than Gill who is the last great batting talent to have emerged from India in last decade. Morons who think it was Kohli who had stopped talented players from playing for India. Whose  are those talented batsmen.

Edited by putrevus

i find this narrative (similar to Langer's post match reaction) a bit back-handed. It's like they cannot accept an Indian, all things being equal, could be better than them. India didn't win because it has a population of 1.5 billion it won due to the 11 players on the pitch.

Wow that was some strong piece. Maybe Greg hyped up the Indian cricket just a tad bit? :giggle:Greg Chappell's ways did not work for then India, but he is a sharp mind. Ganguly deserved to be dropped for the awful form he was in. It was actually a good thing for Ganguly because he came back strong in the SA tour of 2006 and had two 2 good years before retirement (I am a Bong btw).