83 movie trailer

vayuu1

did not like... the depiction of england fans as yobs hurling 'pakkkkkkkki' abuse resulting in full on riot. far too weighty a subject to casually toss in there. but let's dial up the victimhood to the maximum

did like...the skillful switching between the actor and real life cricketers e.g. actor running a single and the actual footage of the second run. wish there was more of that.

14 hours ago, bharathh said:

Watched the movie. Was like eating European food. Too bland. Boring movie about such an important turning point in cricket. Inside Edge has better cricket scenes. 

One must ask: Do you watch a mainstream Bollywood movie on cricket for 'cricket scenes'? Shouldn't the story be the mainstay?

I guess what the director has tried to do (unsuccessfully) is get the human story behind the WC journey.

19 hours ago, Dery said:

Movie is cringe. Lagaan & Iqbal had more enjoyable cricket scenes than this. Here the cricket scenes are boring & drama scenes are just cringe

Lagaan?

Lagaan is the benchmark when it comes to cringe. 

"Teen Guna Lagaaan Dena padega" :hysterical:

It had far better music though.

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

Lagaan?

Lagaan had a good concept.

The most cringe was the English chap trying to speak Hindi. My ears hurt listening to him.

Especially when he's negotiating the terms of the tax with Aamir Khan.

Worse than nails on a chalk board. 

On 3/26/2022 at 3:00 AM, bharathh said:

Watched the movie. Was like eating European food. Too bland. Boring movie about such an important turning point in cricket. Inside Edge has better cricket scenes. 

Movie was bland. I disagree on European food though. They have some of the best cuisine in the world. The food that passes of as European in most places in India however, that's a different story altogether. 

Couldn’t finish the movie in one sitting because it was not that engaging.

having said that  by no means the worst movie out there. some very good parts too. I can over look the over the top drama because it is an Indian film at the end of the day and not a documentary.

I like the way they showed the original passport pictures and even the cricket scenes the way they were shot were top notch.

acting was decent.Ranveer was good. He had some good moments but some times he was very caricaturish like he is parodying Kapil Dev. Overall ok.

Deepika didn’t add anything to the movie.

overall a timepass watch on OTT. Probably would have been more negative towards the movie had I spent money to watch it in theaters. Good 1 time watch.

Edited by maniac

Similar reaction like @maniac Anna. Had to finish in multiple sitting. Cricket sections were good and felt real. Just felt odd that the director chose to push a narrative in about a Muslim family rooting for India despite suffering in a danga and Pakistan Army being so humanitarian stopped bombing during the final, oh so considerate of them.!!

Every time the camera pans in a crowd, the Muslim old man in skull cap can be seen or a bunch of sardarjis. It is consciously added in. Whatever

Edited by coffee_rules

On 3/26/2022 at 5:15 PM, Mariyam said:

Lagaan?

Britishers or Goras in general speak hindi in even worse hindi accent. It wasn't cringe. Movie was good (not a masterpiece). Had everything: good script, direction, acting, nice music, entertainment. Nothing was cringe except love angle between "gori mem" and bhuban.

I liked the movie despite its few flaws and unnecessary pandering in a few instances. It has given a platform for the 83 batch to relive their experiences and narrate various sub-plots they navigated through. I watched YouTube videos of them speaking during the movie promo and absolutely enjoyed the stories they told. In fact, I enjoyed their talks more than the movie itself. Madan Lal was so happy that people still remember and cherish the win after so many years. This is not a typical movie where actors can just focus on emotions. Recreating cricket scenes requires lot of hard work and the actors and the crew have done a creditable job. The real Kapil as a spectator watching screen Kapil's batting and Jimmy Amarnath playing the role of his dad Lala ji was a nice touch. 

Finally found some time to watch the movie.  Given that everyone says it is 98% true i am in awe of what they pulled off. Forget about beating West Indies,  beating Australia/England back to back before them is an incredible feat. They hardly made any money. 600 rupees allowance per day. Apparently Balwinder singh sandhu played a huge role in making sure story is close to original.  As an Indian cricket fan i appreciate their effort to making it into a movie.  Kapil dev's 175 not out in a do or die match will always remain the best ODI innings by an Indian batsman. Everyone on the ground was so lucky.

One thing they could have avoided is rowdyism amongst fans. Even if it truly happened they could have focused that time on more team oriented scenes.

Edited by vvvslaxman