Are IPL franchises and player sponsers really influencing BCCI's decision making process?

Read the extract here from a news recently

Link is

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/selectors-not-keen-on-having-both-rohit-and-kohli-in-india-t20i-xi-final-call-to-be-taken-by-bcci-top-brass-report-101704569004838.html

The Extract-

"The flexibility will always be an issue but there would always be external factors that need to be countered. Did you see ICC promoting the tourney with Kohli's giant billboard video in New York. MI handle put that aerial advert of Rohit and Shaheen Shah Afridi. So there will be external pressure," a former BCCI office-bearer said.

Quite blatant now,one could speculate only now it's quite open

Discuss

Edited by Suhaan

This is very clearly evident since the day BCCI has become the "big boss".

Certain players are being pushed as the "marquee" & are given a longer rope despite giving mediocre to average performances for a longer time. Suddenly the players from successful IPL teams find a place in the internationals ignoring the format & conditions they excel at.

Likes of Bishnoi get dropped despite performing well in internationals, a certain Shreyas Iyer is given more hype than a Jasprit Bumrah & KL Rahul is highlighted more than Md Shami simply points to that. Simply no efforts are being made in search for a pace bowling allrounder to keep Hardik Pandya as the one & only.

Sarfaraz & Easwaran despite being a steady performer in FC are often overlooked over likes of Iyer & SKY in Tests. 

8 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Certain players are being pushed as the "marquee" & are given a longer rope despite giving mediocre to average performances for a longer time. Suddenly the players from successful IPL teams find a place in the internationals ignoring the format & conditions they excel at.

Likes of Bishnoi get dropped despite performing well in internationals, a certain Shreyas Iyer is given more hype than a Jasprit Bumrah & KL Rahul is highlighted more than Md Shami simply points to that. Simply no efforts are being made in search for a pace bowling allrounder to keep Hardik Pandya as the one & only.

Sarfaraz & Easwaran despite being a steady performer in FC are often overlooked over likes of Iyer & SKY in Tests. 

again just random 'fight the system' rant.

tell me what do franchise or bcci achieve by pushing has been or substandard players ? Every single player who has done well in IPL has been fast tracked to national team. Umran, Jaiswal, harshal, venkatesh, charavathy just to name a few. Everyone keeps talking about we arent developing replacement of hardik please name one potential replacement of hardik, someone who has done well in domestic. 

54 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

again just random 'fight the system' rant.

tell me what do franchise or bcci achieve by pushing has been or substandard players ? Every single player who has done well in IPL has been fast tracked to national team. Umran, Jaiswal, harshal, venkatesh, charavathy just to name a few. Everyone keeps talking about we arent developing replacement of hardik please name one potential replacement of hardik, someone who has done well in domestic. 

I dont know, maybe it's linked to sponsorships....I don't see any other reason of keep losing the ICC Tournaments one after the other but still not taking any concrete steps "on time" to rectify the issue. Also, franchises don't care about internationals, all they care about is "brand value" & "sponsorship" which comes courtesy of the popular faces.

As per replacement of Hardik, hasn't Venkatesh Iyer did well in T20's ? Why suddenly he was thrown in oblivion as Hardik returned...sure he is not as good as Hardik with bowl but definitely a decent backup.

Umran did well in T20's..yes his economy looks poor courtesy of his first tour, but he did bowl well vs Srilanka & NZ, now suddenly out of scheme. Jaiswal has just started, Harshal was always a travesty to begin with... Chakravarthy I dotn rate him anyway.. gimmicky bowlers don't last long.

You can't just throw caps randomly in the name of opportunity only to revert to a certain set. Bishnoi always gets harsh treatment despite performing well at every occasion.

Edited by singhvivek141

This was true even in the 2000s.  Someone raised the complaint. Sponsors invest a lot of money in players whose brand value holds as long as they are part of the national team. There are certain guys who are not exactly marketable. Sanju Samson is a case in point. SKY playing Tests/ODIs was a travesty.  You can see a pattern. It is a highly commercialized sports now.  Merit based selection/omission is a thing of past.

7 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

I think most over estimate so called star power of Indian cricketer. Next big India Pak game is in the t20 game. Even if they sell the game with Umar Malik on poster there wont be an drop in hype or viewership. 

Yeah it is actually not that hard to manufacture stars in Indian cricket. Gill easily surpass kohli in 'stardom' in a few years, even if he doesn't have a peak like 2016. Every young generation want their own icon and there aren't many options in India other than cricket 

23 hours ago, Suhaan said:

As long as franchise interests are not at odds with team India interests it won't matter but when that is not the case it is obviously going to be problematic. We won things and were successful even when Dhoni was turning India into a CSK clique. 

On 1/7/2024 at 1:09 AM, singhvivek141 said:

In regards to  FC, we saw how Sarfraz was getting beaten by pace in IPL. He looked out of sorts and very uncomfortable in playing fast bowling.

FC in India is not of international quality. I will give another example Abhinav Mukund,  if I am not wrong he was averaging over 60 in FC when he made his debut. But he looks like a tailender when facing quality pace or swing bowling.

Vinay Kumar has best FC stats by any fast bowler in India and won everything there is to offer in FC multiple times. But he is simply not off international quality.Pankaj Singh another guy who comes to mind.

I can understand IPL playing some role in even test selections but I hope they also play these youngsters a season in FC before selecting them in test cricket.

30 minutes ago, putrevus said:

In regards to  FC, we saw how Sarfraz was getting beaten by pace in IPL. He looked out of sorts and very uncomfortable in playing fast bowling.

FC in India is not of international quality. I will give another example Abhinav Mukund,  if I am not wrong he was averaging over 60 in FC when he made his debut. But he looks like a tailender when facing quality pace or swing bowling.

Vinay Kumar has best FC stats by any fast bowler in India and won everything there is to offer in FC multiple times. But he is simply not off international quality.Pankaj Singh another guy who comes to mind.

I can understand IPL playing some role in even test selections but I hope they also play these youngsters a season in FC before selecting them in test cricket.

I agree 100% with you that our FC isn't of international quality. It's too much diluted, mediocre & boring for a cricket fan to follow tournaments like Ranji Trophy day by day basis

But this FC only has given us likes of Shami, Siraj, Umesh, Pujara and to an extent Pant & Bumrah as well. Vihari who is statwise a mediocre player actually played inns of a lifetime in Sydney to save the match.

So we have to identify and try the performers in FC to understand how well they can adapt...whether they want to try it against A tours or weaker teams is Tests is a different matter.

But IPL for some reason isn't 100% fool proof parameter as it looks for batters who can play at a defined SR, the pitches are heavily adjusted to suit certain teams which negates the bowlers who has different skillset. 

1 hour ago, singhvivek141 said:

I agree 100% with you that our FC isn't of international quality. It's too much diluted, mediocre & boring for a cricket fan to follow tournaments like Ranji Trophy day by day basis

But this FC only has given us likes of Shami, Siraj, Umesh, Pujara and to an extent Pant & Bumrah as well. Vihari who is statwise a mediocre player actually played inns of a lifetime in Sydney to save the match.

So we have to identify and try the performers in FC to understand how well they can adapt...whether they want to try it against A tours or weaker teams is Tests is a different matter.

But IPL for some reason isn't 100% fool proof parameter as it looks for batters who can play at a defined SR, the pitches are heavily adjusted to suit certain teams which negates the bowlers who has different skillset. 

IMHO there is no single foolproof method to identify talent. Yes Pujara, Shami and Siraj were products of FC cricket .

That is why selection should be based on combination of  FC ,IPl and India tours. I am a big fan of Eye test, I want selectors to watch these players not just go by scorecards and stats.

I want young talents to make their India debuts by 22-23 years old so they will have their growing pains and then once they make their mark , they will have 8-10 useful years for Indian teams.

Selectors need to be tested too. Last good selector in my view was Dilip vengsarkar.Under him we saw young talents identified and given chances.

14 hours ago, putrevus said:

I want young talents to make their India debuts by 22-23 years

How will this happen when existing 'superstars' dont want anyone else to take the limelight to take away their stardom, endorsements, advertisements? Till financial clout runs Indian cricket, then the development of the team and a pipeline of players being prepared will always take a back seat

3 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

How will this happen when existing 'superstars' dont want anyone else to take the limelight to take away their stardom, endorsements, advertisements? Till financial clout runs Indian cricket, then the development of the team and a pipeline of players being prepared will always take a back seat

How old are Gill, jaiswal.  Nobody can stop any player from succeeding.