Thinner leaner Raina played with lots of intent today

gakgupta

Haven't I enjoyed his batting today? Complete treat to eyes...no wonder he has such a huge fan following....no doubt he is intl class....

Remain to see where he goes from here.....I wish he returns to indian odi side....if it happens it should be because of performances but not because of history or his close friends at high places

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

This is how he always play, whether chubby it slim.

Good for t20 and would probably would still be a bad choice fof 50 overs, if picked, who knows no one knows. Best is to just play him in t20s and play other younger players in 50 overs.

Younger? He is 30, not 36. Rohit at similar age is still trying cement his test spot as youngster.

Should be picked for ODI World Cup as a squad player (can be used as sub fielder every game as his fielding is really special). If injuries/poor form take hold, can be employed at no.6 as lower order hitter (as times the ball from early on and plays at high strike rate). Must not play higher than 5 as that will accentuate his flaws vs high quality pace and spin bowling 

I think the issue more than anything was complacency. Technically, he still camps too much on the backfoot expecting the short ball so I'm not sure about bringing him back for 50 overs.

Playing Raina at 3 with the license to hit followed by Kohli at 4 is the way to go I feel. Plus, he gives you a decent 6th bowler option.

15 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

Should be picked for ODI World Cup as a squad player (can be used as sub fielder every game as his fielding is really special). If injuries/poor form take hold, can be employed at no.6 as lower order hitter (as times the ball from early on and plays at high strike rate). Must not play higher than 5 as that will accentuate his flaws vs high quality pace and spin bowling 

Reality is that given our solid top order, if Raina and Dhoni were both competing for batting spots in ODIs, I'd pick Raina ahead of Dhoni.  

Indian team cannot win the world cup without a hard-striking #4/5 batsman.  I keep repeating this like a broken record - top ODI units are sending out a ABDV, or a Glenn Maxwell or a Jos Buttler out at #4/5 - batsmen who score at 8+ RPO without breaking a sweat.  Raina may have his flaws, but he's a guy you can expect to match that sort of run production.  If not him, we need someone who can do that job in ODIs.  And with all due respect to Kedar Jadhav's submarining and clever shot making, he simply doesn't inspire enough confidence for that.  

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Reality is that given our solid top order, if Raina and Dhoni were both competing for batting spots in ODIs, I'd pick Raina ahead of Dhoni.  

Indian team cannot win the world cup without a hard-striking #4/5 batsman.  I keep repeating this like a broken record - top ODI units are sending out a ABDV, or a Glenn Maxwell or a Jos Buttler out at #4/5 - batsmen who score at 8+ RPO without breaking a sweat.  Raina may have his flaws, but he's a guy you can expect to match that sort of run production.  If not him, we need someone who can do that job in ODIs.  And with all due respect to Kedar Jadhav's submarining and clever shot making, he simply doesn't inspire enough confidence for that.  

I think Kedhar Jhadav hasn't had a consistent run in the side to demonstrate his credentials. Only reason I wouldn't go for him is that by the time he flourishes, he'll be near retirement. Otherwise, with right opportunities, may do well. Sadly a lot of people disregard him because of his short stature..without even bothering to assess his cricketing credentials

1 hour ago, mancalledsting said:

I think Kedhar Jhadav hasn't had a consistent run in the side to demonstrate his credentials. Only reason I wouldn't go for him is that by the time he flourishes, he'll be near retirement. Otherwise, with right opportunities, may do well. Sadly a lot of people disregard him because of his short stature..without even bothering to assess his cricketing credentials

He is a very poor fielder which can cost us games.