Rishabh Pant not suitable to bat at No. 6 in Australia, says Anil Kumble

2 hours ago, Lannister said:

Gulla was banned? No wonder the quality of discussions was good in the last couple of months. Open a thread on Dhoni and let him suck on that while keeping him away from other disucssions. or better yet ban him completely. 

:giggle: quality of what ??? :cantstop::cantstop:  poor guy had lot of hopes in KL just to be roasted by everyone for being a blind karnataka bhakt. 

Both VVS and Ganguly were not technically adapt outside off stump.They had their issues.
This notion that old timers were better has stop.

This might be one of the best Australian bowling attack India might be facing.Only 99 with McGrath might be comparable. Lyon had more success against India than Warne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/4/2018 at 4:31 AM, Muloghonto said:

VVS had pretty good defensive technique. So did Ganguly. You are yet again, talking out of your rear end. Ganguly was very very strong outside the offstump and negating movement. His problem was being set-up for the bouncer and the awkward hook-shot of his. something that only affected him overseas on hard, bouncy pitches of OZ and RSA. 
Both these guys had much, much better defensive technique than anyone not named Pujara or Kohli in today's lineup. 

So true. I cannot believe someone is comparing VVS on Oz pitches with anyone else. Apart from that 2011 tour, I always felt that he was even more comfortable (and dangerous) than SRT. Comparing Pant with VVS (or even Ganguly) is like comparing Peter Willey with Botham.

Edited by Vijy
2 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Sorry but just like Jadeja I am starting to marvel how did this guy score 300 in a domestic game. He is just too loose.

His strategy of going at every ball was miscalculated (heavily), but I don't think he was this rash during his bumper Ranji season. I don't think he is (yet) suited to be a No. 6, but he is better than our current No. 6 even now.

11 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Sorry but just like Jadeja I am starting to marvel how did this guy score 300 in a domestic game. He is just too loose.

He needs to settle down a bit. His game is more suited for tests and T20I than ODIs. His defence is good and need to rely on it more often.

Btw, Jadeja averages 50 with bat in last 2 years. 

26 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Very much like how Sehwag scored his two triples by banging the bowlers. Pant is known to bat this way in domestic cricket. He isn't a technical batsman. His SR in that Ranji season was over 100 and he also scored fastest Ranji trophy 100 in that season.

Edited by rkt.india
On 12/4/2018 at 3:01 PM, Muloghonto said:

VVS had pretty good defensive technique. So did Ganguly. You are yet again, talking out of your rear end. Ganguly was very very strong outside the offstump and negating movement. His problem was being set-up for the bouncer and the awkward hook-shot of his. something that only affected him overseas on hard, bouncy pitches of OZ and RSA. 
Both these guys had much, much better defensive technique than anyone not named Pujara or Kohli in today's lineup.

Yeah VVS didn't have a great defensive technique that is why he has a poor record in England. And Ganguly was never great in defence as well. Only SRT and Dravid had good defensive technique who could defend all day. 

Edited by rkt.india
10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Very much like how Sehwag scored his two triples by banging the bowlers. Pant is known to bat this way in domestic cricket. He isn't a technical batsman. His SR in that Ranji season was over 100 and he also scored fastest Ranji trophy 100 in that season.

Veeru might have rejected to give you an autograph but that doesn't mean you ll include him in every debate. And Veeru used to open and his shot selection was near perfect as he mainly relied on ground shots and he never resorted to slogging like Pant does.

Yes we also know what his strike rate was in that Ranji season and nobody is saying he is a technical batsman but some kind of sanity is expected from him and not just blindly going after anything.

His first innings was also very ordinary.

55 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Yeah VVS didn't have a great defensive technique that is why he has a poor record in England. And Ganguly was never great in defence as well. Only SRT and Dravid had good defensive technique who could defend all day. 

Poor record in England is to do with poor handling of the moving ball. Not poor defensive technique. Both VVS and Gangs was better at defence than anyone not named Pujara and MAYBE Kohli in this lineup, bud. 

VVS i'd say had a better defensive technique than Kohli does. 

59 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

For every 1 Sehwag, we have 12 Afridis and Powells. Pant has more chance with zero defensive technique and temperament to be an Afridi than a Sehwag. 

4 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

For every 1 Sehwag, we have 12 Afridis and Powells. Pant has more chance with zero defensive technique and temperament to be an Afridi than a Sehwag. 

Pant has a defensive technique. May not be best in the world or even very good. But certainly not a hack like you are painting him as. Shot selection will improve as he plays more.

2 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

But the difference is he is a wicketkeeper batsman and has already outscored our previous long term wicket keeper batsman Dhoni in his first test in Australia. Has a 100 in England already and that was not slogging. Our previous ek/bat had none.

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Poor record in England is to do with poor handling of the moving ball. Not poor defensive technique. Both VVS and Gangs was better at defence than anyone not named Pujara and MAYBE Kohli in this lineup, bud. 

VVS i'd say had a better defensive technique than Kohli does. 

So? even tailenders can defend straight balls. Defensive game is always tested when ball is swinging and seaming. You want to test defensive game on flat pitch? Why would he defend on flat pitches when he can thrash the ball? Akash Chopra had a great defensive technique, failed at test level. Gillespie could defend all day wasn't a batsman. It's all about scoring runs whichever way one scores. He already has two 90s one 100 in test in first six months of his test career with his natural game. His game will become better as he matures and plays more.

Edited by rkt.india
4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Pant knws how to make runs , thats enough

Afridi avg 36

and good defense technique guy akash chopra-  23

u can keep defending whole day but what wud matter in the end who wud u score runs. We keep taking afridi example.......his problem was he didnt work hard on his batting after a point . He was doin well till a point . 

Whats the rush, its his 1st overseas cycle and he is very young. Pujara didnt have great returns in his 1st overseas cycle

Also what are ur options

Karthik- his feet froze in england

Parthiv- 30 run marega 200 ke barabaar catch chodega

Kishen- Saw him recently in NZ-A game.....didnt look comfertable against pace n bounce with white ....imagine what will happen against red ball with movement 

Samson- struggling in ranji

Saha- not gr8 with bat himself

the problem with pant i see is that once his batting is good the keeping suffers. Once his keeper is poor is batting is good.

If we are to look at Pant as long term (cause his current returns are Sahaesque) then India have to play 7 batters and 4 bowlers with 6 proper frontline batsman. Ashwin/ Jadeja especially overseas cannot be counted on with the bat. Shami Bumrah Ishant are all number 11s. 

Long term the form and reliability of Pant will determine India's team composition.