Rishabh Pant not suitable to bat at No. 6 in Australia, says Anil Kumble

All the kumble Bhakt’s about him coaching, take a note. Pant won’t have played a single test in Australia any time soon unless Karthik was also injure under him. 

Shastri might be crap but its not like Kumble would have been saint.  Every coach has his own porblem.

I wish we had Tom Moody instead of all these. He knows how to use young talent the best I feel.

I don't know why some think Kumble is better coach than Shastri. Kumble has always been a conservative kind of guy.He still advocated six batsmen and 4 bowlers even now in Australia.You don't win many matches with that combination.

Shastri has stuck to philosphy of 5 bowlers and has been doing at expense of losing series and matches. It take guts to do it. Indians under Rahul Dravid did couple of times and lost both matches and stopped doing it.

He may not be best coach in world but given choice between Kumble and Shastri I would pick Shastri.

Edited by putrevus
1 hour ago, Global.Baba said:

Where am I saying he doesn’t deserve a shot? He along with Kishan are the best 2 young talent in India. I was commenting on the coaching team. Obviously a youngster will be overwhelmed and will try to be audacious. Even guys like Sachin,Dhoni and Kohli were in their earlier days but at times player matured on his own but also good guidance helps. Pant looks like one of those who will take a little longer to understand his game but at the same time coaching is useless as well.

Everyone has their own style. You can’t ask sehwag, gilchrist to play like Sunil gavaskar for records.

2 hours ago, Cricketics said:

All the kumble Bhakt’s about him coaching, take a note. Pant won’t have played a single test in Australia any time soon unless Karthik was also injure under him. 

Shastri might be crap but its not like Kumble would have been saint.  Every coach has his own porblem.

I wish we had Tom Moody instead of all these. He knows how to use young talent the best I feel.

Agree. Not a fan of Kimble either. Would prefer a foreign coach who doesn't bring regional biases. 

Kumble pushed Ashwin to no.6 during his tenure and it certainly worked very well at that time. Probably why he is still having that view. Also given his other commitments I suppose he has not been following the games enough to know that Ashwin's batting has regressed now.

https://m.telegraphindia.com/sport/mom-ashwin-owes-it-to-head-coach-kumble/cid/1346445

Although the article seems to suggest he is pulling down Pant, it is more of a case of him wanting India to persist with Ashwin at 6.

24 minutes ago, Sgattick10 said:

Agree. Not a fan of Kimble either. Would prefer a foreign coach who doesn't bring regional biases. 

See, even a foreign coach will have bias in some form. That is why you need a sane captain and a functioning Board to challenge the captain or coach so that they are not able to exercise that bias in full flow. The issue with Team India now is that Kohli has got a puppet coach and the COA running BCCI isn't powerful or knowledgeable enough to challenge Kohli. And too much power in one hand is always bad as we know...

KUmble is so wrong.Imo Pant is a better test player than a LOI player.his Extremely predominant leg side play means teams can induce false shots from in ODIs and T20s.In tests he can be very selective in his shots and doesnt have to take the risks which get him out a lot in LOIs as he doesnt have a all round game kohli.

7 hours ago, putrevus said:

Pant should just play his natural game if it is t20 style so be it.Yes he will get out cheaply sometimes but that is what you will get with him. If you are playing with six batsmen then he will bat at no 7 .

The person in the bottom six with the best defensive technique, is the person who gets to bat at #6. Simple. #6 is your 'third opener' in many instances, as they are coming to the pitch with the new ball taken for just a few overs or new ball due in just a few overs. 

Seeing off the 2nd new ball is a vital job for #6.