Playing the World Cup is the biggest motivation for Shreyas Iyer

https://www.crictracker.com/playing-the-world-cup-is-the-biggest-motivation-for-shreyas-iyer/

It has been a rather disappointing start to 2019 for young Indian cricketer Shreyas Iyer. Up until the recent home season of Indian cricket, Iyer appeared to be in the frame of things of the Indian squad for the ICC World Cup 2019. However, the selectors seem to have overlooked Iyer at the start of this season. He was not a part of the squad for the Australia tour and has not been named in India’s limited-overs team for the New Zealand series.

lg.php?bannerid=0&campaignid=0&zoneid=41

Furthermore, when KL Rahul was called back midway through the Australian tour, many speculated Iyer to be named as the replacement, but it was not the case. Despite being overlooked by the selectors, the Mumbai lad is still optimistic about his chances. He remarked that there is very little he can do about the selection. All that he is focusing on is performing well whenever he gets a chance.

“I can’t say anything about selection. That’s not in my hands. All I can do is to perform and I will continue to perform because I play for passion. There’s a lot of competition these days and you have to keep scoring in every match no matter how worse the conditions are, how good or bad the wicket is, you have to give your best performance. This is the mindset I play with,” Shreyas Iyer was quoted as saying by IndiaTV.

On the WC 2019, and Virat Kohli

On similar lines, Iyer expressed his desire to play the World Cup. He called it the biggest motivation for him at the moment. “Definitely, I would love to be a part of the team for the 2019 World Cup. That’s the biggest motivation,” Iyer exclaimed.

When asked to comment on the Indian captain Virat Kohli, he conceded that Kohli is a big motivation for every aspiring cricketer in the country. He rightly said that the Indian skipper is playing at a whole different level at the moment.

“Virat Kohli is playing at a different level. You can’t really compare him with anybody at the moment. He is a big motivation for all of us. There’s always so much to learn by just watching him play,” conceded the youngster.

1 hour ago, chewy said:

Why does this guy get so much attention, there is like a PR article on Iyer every other week.

It's tough to get into India XI, you want get in, do something extraordinary in IPL and other domestic games and A tours

He has been ordinary in A tours but good in Ipl or Ranjis.

This thread is a classic example of how a popular prospect is seen as a must-select exciting new player, but in a space of a few games and months can become more stale than the newspaper piece used to serve bhelpuri.  

Doesn't take long for yesterday's Siraj to become today's Khaleel.   Such are the fickle fans afflicted with the disease of wanting new fashionable names - Kuch Nayaa Lao syndrome.  

This guy must have been given more opportunities instead of others.He made couple of 50s in opportunities given to him andbats at high strike rate in ODIs. Importantly he can bowl leg spin.

Nowadays with shortage of players in top 6 like raina, Yuvraj who can bowl 10 overs if necessary, he might fit the bill.

Yuvraj kind of player which we are missing and must be given longer rope in odis

On 1/23/2019 at 7:28 PM, vijay50 said:

This guy must have been given more opportunities instead of others.He made couple of 50s in opportunities given to him andbats at high strike rate in ODIs. Importantly he can bowl leg spin.

Nowadays with shortage of players in top 6 like raina, Yuvraj who can bowl 10 overs if necessary, he might fit the bill.

Yuvraj kind of player which we are missing and must be given longer rope in odis

First of all he has to keep his ego aside and think deep as to what will make him to come into senior side 50 ODI eleven?

Its simple ,  if you have to get in the middle order , you should be that batting allrounder who can bowl 3-4 overs atleast with decent ER . This one place is up for grabs after WC .  

So instead of whining , make a resolution that in next 6 months , you will learn as much as possible to be a better leg spinner    than what he is now and capable of bowling atleast 4 overs in each match. 

May be take Tambe as his bowling coach (A mumbiaker and must be having spare time now) , learn some tricks about run denying delieveries , angles , add atleast yorker length deliveries .

For that he should start bowling in domestics , league natches  and show to selectors that he can bowl 4 overs in a match decently. 

If he does that Kedar's place is his for the taking going forward and he will be such a good addition to our team . 

If he does not make any effort in this area, soon he will find that Vihari will beat him for that position. Even Deepak Hooda will also be a strong contender . 

Its upto him really ...