"I'm Batting Really Well": Virat Kohli Plays Down Poor Run Of Form In New Zealand

Gollum

I am absolutely fine. I am batting really well. I feel that sometimes scores don't reflect the way you are batting .

I think it's about staying in a good space and I know the chat on the outside changes with one innings. But I don't think like that. If I thought like people on the outside, I would probably be on the outside right now.

I think it's all about doing the basics right and putting the hard work in practice. You can't really walk in thinking that I have to do it every time. You want to do it. But if it doesn't come off, then you don't have to beat yourself up too much

TOI

Why so defensive? Not an isolated instance either which prompted me to open this thread. 

No he isn't batting well, this entire tour he has lacked fluency and not batting at his usual tempo, never looking completely in. I am not judging based on his runs, but how he got them and mode of dismissals. 

This match (his white ball knocks shared some of these features)

- No patience unlike 2018 RSA/Eng

- No discipline

- Thrusting his bat out ahead of pads right from the word go, inviting edges

- Fishing way outside off stump

- Risky shots when match situation didn't demand

- Fidgety

- Fire seemed to be lacking

Sure he can score a 200 next match, that is his class and hopefully he does just that. But why live in denial? Becoming an annoying trend where any criticism/question is met with a sarcastic/delusional/passive-aggressive response. Dhoni developed this annoying habit circa 2011-12.

Maybe the captaincy pressure in all formats is taking its toll, also the underperformance under his watch. 

Edited by Gollum

"I feel that sometimes scores don't reflect the way you are batting"

Indeed!

Dhoni's contribution to cricket - "process matters more than results".

Birat's contribution to cricket - "results/scores are irrelevant. What matters is how well you played".

He is the true successor to the great captain kool(aid), taking Indian cricket to the next level(of deluded thinking).

53 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

He is batting well, team is doing well, all is well, all is well. All that is left now is for the coach to come out and say how great he, his captain and his team are.

Talk about having head in the sand style thought process 

All is well, the glass is full, the grass is green, etc.

You guys lack respect to our captain.

He has shopping tremendously well and made some great purchases in NZ, has had the opportunity to sightseeing beautiful parts of NZ and spend quality time with his wife and his mates too.

The tour of NZ has a lot of positives for Kohli, he should ignore the garbage on here about his batting and performance as captain.

19 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

He has gone missing in a few crucial tests due to nervousness.  

I would say more arrogance than being nervous. He tried to take control and dominate the bowlers. Thats fine in Indian conditions, not in SENA with pace, bounce and seam.

If he actually just dug in and ignored a lot of deliveries outside off, he could have laid the foundation for a big hundred.

1 hour ago, SRT100 said:

I would say more arrogance than being nervous. He tried to take control and dominate the bowlers. Thats fine in Indian conditions, not in SENA with pace, bounce and seam.

If he actually just dug in and ignored a lot of deliveries outside off, he could have laid the foundation for a big hundred.

I am talking about 4th innings chases in England and SA. Getting out to Moeen Ali in such scenari is unpardonable.

16 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

:cantstop: Poor ICF wanted Virat when Dhoni was captain. Now same people are complaining!

Same thing ll happen with next Captain and on and on and on...

I loved and respected Kohli as the single man when he was captaining and leading India.

He was angry, hostile and passionate with his batting, fielding and captaincy.

Marriage has changed him. Telling Indian supporters to not boo Smith at the World Cup was just poor. In Australia, the crowd will go after Kohli and the rest of the Indians. Its coming. Kohli wont know what hit him.

2 hours ago, SRT100 said:

I loved and respected Kohli as the single man when he was captaining and leading India.

He was angry, hostile and passionate with his batting, fielding and captaincy.

Marriage has changed him. Telling Indian supporters to not boo Smith at the World Cup was just poor. In Australia, the crowd will go after Kohli and the rest of the Indians. Its coming. Kohli wont know what hit him.

That's good if they do. If they rile him up he ll do well. Agreed that he become soft after marriage and all PR stuff. At the end of the day, He is 31 man we can't expect him to act like he did 5 or 6 years back. People evolve and he did aswell! 

2 hours ago, Rasgulla said:

:cantstop: Poor ICF wanted Virat when Dhoni was captain. Now same people are complaining!

Same thing ll happen with next Captain and on and on and on...

Maybe because the loyalty is with Indian cricket and not with certain star captains who become power drunk and arrogant after being captain for a few years.

In any case, no one should be allowed to be the Indian captain for more than 4-5 years. 

5 hours ago, Rasgulla said:

That's good if they do. If they rile him up he ll do well. Agreed that he become soft after marriage and all PR stuff. At the end of the day, He is 31 man we can't expect him to act like he did 5 or 6 years back. People evolve and he did aswell! 

Thats where the problem is at with Indian cricket at the moment. I do not see any kid around that 22-26 year old mark that could take over as captain with the same strong attitude that Kohli and years before that, Ganguly.

Ganguly and the way he treated one of the most intimidating and powerful teams ever in Australia, changed Indian cricket and its mindset forever. I will never forget how angry Australia were with him and it effected their performance as a result.

With Indian cricket at the moment, I dont see the next Ganguly or Kohli to take over the mantle.

3 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Thats where the problem is at with Indian cricket at the moment. I do not see any kid around that 22-26 year old mark that could take over as captain with the same strong attitude that Kohli and years before that, Ganguly.

Ganguly and the way he treated one of the most intimidating and powerful teams ever in Australia, changed Indian cricket and its mindset forever. I will never forget how angry Australia were with him and it effected their performance as a result.

With Indian cricket at the moment, I dont see the next Ganguly or Kohli to take over the mantle.

It's not his problem no one are that good. Infairness we have no choice other than him atm. Rest of them are so inconsistent! 

And did we win a single against Aus team outside under him? FAB 4 this and that but they didn't beat Aus outside! 

He can bat poorly ( edge 30 balls to the boundary  ) or bat well.  Just score runs in important knockout matches and big away tests.

He can captain poorly or captain well. 

Just win important knockout matches and big away tests.

We are interested in the results. 

Results are all that matter in a professional set up.

If you can't deliver results consistently in important projects then you should make way for someone else.

Where is the accountability  ??

Edited by express bowling

A lot of people commenting here are going to receive a phainty soon..>>

If he is batting well in the nets, it is a matter of time that gets translated into actual performances. Everything is connected and there is absolutely nothing to worry. Remember guys, it is Virat kohli we are talking about.