I hope this doesn’t remain a regret

Cricketics

~Please keep it to cricket only here, no politics.~

One thing which often comes to my mind is that some of our youngsters from the 2011-2012 days are now in their thirties. Soon in few years their days will be numbered in Test matches perhaps or there will be other youngsters waiting to get in to team the moment current crop start fading. During this change-over, our current crop of great bats and bowlers might miss out on ever experiencing the test cricket fun of India and Pakistan.

I know they have played their fair share of intense games against Pak in the shorter format, but there is something special about playing test cricket against Pakistan. There is great fun to see the build up of each day of the test match when it is India and Pakistan playing. I am sure all of us enjoyed the 1999 series and also the ones which took place in the mid 2000s.  Its great to visit the highlights of those games and each day at end of day’s play the fun of analzying the day’s play as well as forecasting about the next days play is just being like a kid in a candy store for a a cricket enthusiast who just can’t wait for day 2 or 3 to start. 

I am talking about guys like Pujara, Kohli etc will be hard done by if they never get to play a test series against Pakistan. And then we have our pace battery  starting wirh Bumrah, I would love to depend on them so they could take the remaining 6 wickets on day 5 defendinf 200 odd on day 5 against Pakistanx 

I know this thread could get some patriotic or some juices flowing for random reasons, but as a cricket fan you ought to feel this that our players are aging and at least once we would have liked the current crop of players to be in a test series against Pakistan. I hope to see oue current players at least once in a 3 match Test series against Pakistan.

7 minutes ago, MechEng said:

This will remain a regret like Graeme Pollock, Barry Richards, Clive Rice, Garth Le Roux and other South African legends missing out on international cricket due to apartheid.

l Bumrah is still just 26 and we might see him down the line play a test against Pak. But there is a chance it could take 5-6 years, which will mean some of the bats will be 36-37 and could be out of the team. Bumrah will be still in early 30s around 2025. 

45 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

l Bumrah is still just 26 and we might see him down the line play a test against Pak. But there is a chance it could take 5-6 years, which will mean some of the bats will be 36-37 and could be out of the team. Bumrah will be still in early 30s around 2025. 

Then toh Pakistan should never play tests against India. Bumrah right now is skills + brains. imagine 5-6 years from now Bumrah will be skills + brains + experience = scary resume.

Pakistan can break NZ's record of lowest test score of 26!

Kohli, Pujara, Rahane, Ashwin, Jadeja, Shami and Umesh..... arguably the best batch of Indian Test cricketers will retire without playing a single Test against Pakistan. 

A bit sad to be honest as we would have set that H2H record straight and would have smashed them to smithereens anywhere in Asia. 

Edited by Norman
40 minutes ago, Norman said:

Kohli, Pujara, Rahane, Ashwin, Jadeja, Ishant, Shami and Umesh..... arguably the best batch of Indian Test cricketers will retire without playing a single Test against Pakistan. 

A bit sad to be honest as we would have set that H2H record straight and would have smashed them to smithereens anywhere in Asia. 

Jadeja has fitness that he can play in SC tests at least 7-8 years more.  Agree on the rest.  But I believe this is not India's best batch..  Younger ones like Jaiswal Gill Shaw Padikkal Rahul have enormous potential  may hopefully play tests against Pak. 

26 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Cricket and politics should never merge. If Indian govt can do normal trade with Pakistan, which they are, and if India plays other sports with Pakistan, I see no reason cricket needs to stop. 

No normal trade now I think. Even other sports have stopped, we may meet in global tourneys but no bilaterals.

I don't disagree with some of the posts/sentiments above, and that H2H is annoying, can easily be fixed if we play 2 series. I am sometimes conflicted about this, ideally sports and politics must not mix and as die-hard cricket fans we sometimes look at the picture purely from sports perspective.

Just like everyone else I want to see us smash them in a bilateral series but how can we have normal relations with such an evil state (PakMil establishment)? We are cricket fans but these are trivial matters, that country has terror pads a few km from LoC and pushes in terrorists every day, so many of our jawans are getting martyred on a daily/weekly basis because of that. When I see interviews and videos of grieving families of fallen bravehearts, cricket is the last thing on my mind. 

We can play Pak but what do we get in return? PCB and indirectly Pak govt will get a financial boost of millions of $, can they promise concrete action on Dawood, Masood Azhar and Hafiz Saeed in return? Can they promise shutting down terror camps in PoK? PM Vajpayee resumed cricket and cultural exchange with Pak, what did they give in return? Regular terror attacks in our cities, backing of Kashmir insurgency culminating in 26/11. Whenever we have held out the olive branch we have been betrayed, when Vajpayee took the famous bus ride to Lahore PakMil was executing its sinister designs in Kargil. When we had that 2005 series in India, Pak managed to push in terrorists and recruiters in the guise of fans.

So the question is where does this stop? Do you think there ever can be normal business with such a country? We mustn't do self harm, meaning don't avoid them in global meets or when Olympics qualification is at stake but bilaterals? Kohli, Che, Ash-Jaddu, Shami have my sympathies but they are like specks of dust before our jawans guarding the borders in LoC/IB many of who sacrifice their lives leaving behind widows, young families, orphans, grief-stricken parents. With what face will we approach them if we pretend things are hunky-dory with evil next door? 

If Pak takes a step forward towards peace/friendship I say we take two...start bilaterals, let them play IPL, resume cultural exchanges, invite them for literary fests, boost trade etc. But it has to be a proper step forward, not another move of deception, for us once bitten twice shy. If they couldn't reciprocate peace overtures of an aman ki asha type like Vajpayee highly doubt they will mend their ways with Modi in power. 

Edited by Gollum

Stopped updating the martyrs thread, too much to handle. But this below is daily occurence. Kohli and co. may have a statistical shortcoming at the end of their careers, but here a family has lost its son/husband/brother/father. Just to put things into perspective. Pakistan has been doing this nonsense for a very very long time, not an isolated incident like it happens with Bangladesh, Nepal or China. 

I don't have any regret... there are cricketers are as bad as their politician. They have likes of Afridi,akhtar, razzak,miadad and many others who give hate speech every day even some of their active one. They are as bad as the terrorist and politician especially it's not hurting india and hurting more to Pakistani's financially. I will be happy if not playing cricket with Pakistan will cause mental out burst to them and eventually they will start talking against their own government and military. Looks like some of us have forgot that how shameless/ungrateful pcb try to pull out wc 2011 and different event out of India even when we were playing against them , try to sabotage ipl in 2009 by not sending their team and recent court case against bcci . 

I doubt if any of our players from the current batch see playing vs Pakistan as such a big deal. You could see that in the way we approach the LOIs played in the last 8-10 years. Hardly any fuss from the Indian players and management, the media does do some tamasha but that's their job. We have been so dominant in this decade (Played 19 LOIs, won 14, lost 5) that even the H2H historical record is immaterial.

Can't see why they will regret at all. They are getting to play vs the top sides more often and in IPL, they get to mix with most superstars of world cricket.

2 hours ago, Norman said:

Kohli, Pujara, Rahane, Ashwin, Jadeja, Ishant, Shami and Umesh..... arguably the best batch of Indian Test cricketers will retire without playing a single Test against Pakistan. 

Ishant debut test was against Pak

@Gollum

I echo his thoughts, doesn't matter if those chewt fans across border boast thrir H3H record over us, I can't compromise on the pain they as a nation inflict upon us everyday,people don't debate with me over this,this is indisputable,few wins won't matter much

In cricketing tetms,we have been notching up good performances against far more good teams that automatically sets our supremacy over them,so no worries,past rigged wins over us doesn't matter at all

Edited by Suhaan
2 hours ago, Norman said:

Ishant has played one test match against pakistan in 2007.

Setting politics totally aside, just from a cricketing POV also, I don't feel that it's a big deal playing test cricket against Pakistan. They are not some SENA country beating whom is a big accomplishment. Not saying we will surely beat them. We could lose to them too, like Australia who were clean swept in UAE. But that intrigue or excitement factor is just not there for me. 

When two countries are at war, there is no question about these aman-ki-aasha trips. Bhaad mein jaye H2H. India didn't play with Pakistan for 17 years from 1961-78 when we were fighting wars of 65 and 71, it was not anybody's concern to play Pak.  A lot pf players like MAKP, Dilip Sardesai, Wadekar, Surti, Solkar, Abid Ali, etc didn't play against Pakistan and nobody gives a damn if they didn't.  It is not the same as bi-lateral trade which is a  matter for survival for people, esp in border areas. If there is no cricket, nobody is going to die, while Jawans are dying in Kashmir. Unless, Pak can give up funding terrorism in Kashmir, don't protect Dawood, Hafeez and not send terrorists to Pulwama, Mumbai, there can be no bi-lateral cricket. ICC events outside of Pakistan is no biggie.

Edited by coffee_rules