Videos of actors overacting

Real McCoy

10 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

@Gollum maybe you have not heard of veteran Kannada actor Rajkumar. Look at the scene where he plays shehnai (Ustad Bismillah Khan of course) , but he caught the nuances of shehnai player so well. 

sivaji also played nadadwaram and mridangam and the director killed the scenes with overuse of sivaji’s histrionics 

I heard a SPB interview where he said he wanted raj kumar to sing a song for him in a Kannada movie he acted because he could sing too.

back in those days most of these actors could

do everything act,sing, knew music, art, classical dance  etc etc only these days we get half baked nepotistic hacks who build a 6 pack, learn some hip hop dance and become “actors”

Edited by maniac

21 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I don't know how a movie like McKenna's Gold has such a popular following in India. Noticed it being referred to in a song for the first timeAs a kid, I had seen the movie in a theatre with my dad.  It is not as popular here in US. During Blockbuster days, I found it tough to get the VHS tape of that movie, but Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns are very easy to get through. 

In India some odd ball movies become popular and attain cult status. 

24 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Maybe stage background means susceptibility to overacting, especially in that old era. Seen even high profile Shakespearean actors overact on silver screen. 

Overacting or not, whether you know Tamil or not @maniac @coffee_rules @Mariyam, the dialogue delivery below (one take) is mindblowing (clear stage influence). My Tamil is nowhere good enough to understand even bits of it but I am sure @velu @I6MTW @Vilander @Real McCoy @Stan AF @vvvslaxman @ash will appreciate this, from what I have heard a very tough monologue. 

Sivaji vs MGR was a thing back then, even today it is among film buffs, polarizing topic. Dunno how it is even a contest, Sivaji blows MGR out of the water and his ceiling was always very high (based on clips I have seen, not full movies I admit), floor could be low as well but he was capable of achieving greatness that MGR couldn't fathom. Maybe equivalent of Kamal vs Rajini in that era. 

@Ankit_sharma03 you familiar with old era Tamil movies? Likes of Sivaji and MGR.....

no doubt SG is a great actor, nobody is denying that in this thread. You had to come and spoil the fun. As OP suggested, some of his acting went beyond the limit as well. His earliest movies were gems, when they become famous, directors want to cash in on their popularity and give them more material which the directors can’t handle and there is a phase of such movies. Of course in twilight years they realize and being back their old school charm.

Johnny Lever has a funny take on such superstars. How they lose their way Watch

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Maybe stage background means susceptibility to overacting, especially in that old era. Seen even high profile Shakespearean actors overact on silver screen. 

Overacting or not, whether you know Tamil or not @maniac @coffee_rules @Mariyam, the dialogue delivery below (one take) is mindblowing (clear stage influence). My Tamil is nowhere good enough to understand even bits of it but I am sure @velu @I6MTW @Vilander @Real McCoy @Stan AF @vvvslaxman @ash will appreciate this, from what I have heard a very tough monologue. 

Sivaji vs MGR was a thing back then, even today it is among film buffs, polarizing topic. Dunno how it is even a contest, Sivaji blows MGR out of the water and his ceiling was always very high (based on clips I have seen, not full movies I admit), floor could be low as well but he was capable of achieving greatness that MGR couldn't fathom. Maybe equivalent of Kamal vs Rajini in that era. 

@Ankit_sharma03 you familiar with old era Tamil movies? Likes of Sivaji and MGR.....

That period acting would look downright funny now. Sivaji was a thorougbred theater artist most of them at that time started out like that but sivaji was known for it. Mgr was unique and charismatic. Sivaji carried heavy stories and projects that needed drama almost exclusively, MGR was action hero larger than life invincible type, he can't cry like sivaji but even sivaji can't be romantic like gemini that's his genre if any of them over did the others role people won't accept. So mgr closes his face when he has to show emotion, sivaji can deliver strong unbridled emotions except when it had to do with romance which was handled by Gemini alone, sivaji cant thirst for a girl are you *ing mad he will just voice his approval, oh of course every girl wants to be with MGR automatically what do you mean he has to pursue her he will just respond to their advance Gemini can run around the trees and ****.. You get the drift? . Others filled in niches and non existant budgets class for the top three. 

In case of kamal rajini era, kamal was into method acting in later part of his career and rajini liked popular mass genre from the start so their choice of subjects differed eventually, kamal has a lot of junk initially then his projects became more selective higher quality comedy, drama etc. Rajini started with character roles and more artistic projects initially but eventually moved to mass formula movies, there are certain things you cant make rajini do like being beaten beyond a point can't die can't get maimed etc. even kamal can't die but he can loose his secondary hero get his daughter killed etc ( he looses Arjun in kuruthi punal) , rajini can't even loose his secondary hero say like Prabhu..people will get *ing mad no mfr touches Rajinis posse no one. These were funny restrictions that fandom imposed on their matinee idols and so the stories went. 

Its just a reflection of the society at that time I have respect for that societies charm, its dead now or in the process, along with the people who made it, everything has its time its charming to look back. 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

I don't think this is overacting. His longest dialogue is testament to his memory power and the ability to grasp the script in the first reading itself. He had a feel for the theatrical situation. The following comment is from an elderly gentleman which shows how talented Sivaji was. There are other boomers in the comments section bemoaning the lack of acting skills today and the modern trend of one line "punch" dialogues :lol:.

With all due respect to Kamal, he is nowhere close to Sivaji. I can even say from the little I have watched from Sivaji's acting that he was one of the best in Tamil cinema if not the best. He can even act differently with the same dialogue. Even the overacting ones, he could have acted normally if the director wanted it. Kamal doesn't have that range. That's why he tries to act like women and 10 roles in one movie like dasavatharam :laugh:

This is a comment under the video (translated from Tamil)

It is not uncommon for a long verse to be memorized and facial expressions taken at the same time. Besides, today's facial expressions do not even fit the role of a king for today's leading actors. I’ve been watching over a hundred Hollywood actors since the 60s. No one has ever played such different roles. The Chevalier Award team looked at a different character and said he was a different person, not a different person. In the end, the computer-assisted comparison is the only thing left to believe. This was stated by the President of the Paris Tamil Sangam, Mr. Jamal himself had mentioned. He was the nominee for the Chevalier Award. Actor Tilak is actor Tilak. His body language, Tamil language does not come to anyone.

Nadigar thilagam is wrongly translated as actor Tilak. It means acting great

@Gollum Don't worry most Tamil people can't understand that dialogue delivery now. Its because its more poetic language and uses pure Tamil words that you find only in Tamil class in school. Even as a Tamil, I struggled to make even half decent marks in Tamil. That's why most people will switch to French, Hindi, German to score more marks and those who took these alternate classes were ineligible for state rankings and prizes.

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

Rajkumar too was a legend. But what I am saying is one can't use a few movies or clips to pass verdicts on actors especially from that era. When they had such a huge body of work. Different demands, balance of power, technology etc. so many decades ago. 

I have highest respect for these guys, and don't forget NTR (GOAT Krishna) and SV Ranga Rao (GOAT Ravan/Duryodhan) but search around and I am sure we'll find bad performances there as well, and scenes that haven't aged well. 

But they are legends for a reason. You have assclowns like Ballaya and Vijay overacting, that is a different story altogether. 

You forgot ANR as well. Probably one of the greatest actors . The original Devdas along with Dilip Kumar.

20 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

@Gollum Don't worry most Tamil people can't understand that dialogue delivery now. Its because its more poetic language and uses pure Tamil words that you find only in Tamil class in school. Even as a Tamil, I struggled to make even half decent marks in Tamil. That's why most people will switch to French, Hindi, German to score more marks and those who took these alternate classes were ineligible for state rankings and prizes.

I didn't even take Tamil when I came back from a childhood in the States to India during my high school. Because I was a Kannadiga, and even though my entire family grew up in Chennai and knew Tamil, it was a difficult language to learn, and especially to read and write. I took Hindi, and later French instead.

Edited by I6MTW

Overacting, by and large, is related to the topic on screen and genre of the film ... We cannot have similar acting styles in every film ... I am going to talk about an example of overacting that works for the film - Jack Nicholson in Batman:

On 7/28/2021 at 8:13 PM, maniac said:

I heard a SPB interview where he said he wanted raj kumar to sing a song for him in a Kannada movie he acted because he could sing too.

back in those days most of these actors could

do everything act,sing, knew music, art, classical dance  etc etc only these days we get half baked nepotistic hacks who build a 6 pack, learn some hip hop dance and become “actors”

Raj Kumar was a ver good singer. I

heard one of his devotional songs in my Karnataka friend's car and it sounded so awesome. The only word I caught in that song is "Pavamana". @coffee_rules, are you familiar with that song?

15 minutes ago, nevada said:

Raj Kumar was a ver good singer. I

heard one of his devotional songs in my Karnataka friend's car and it sounded so awesome. The only word I caught in that song is "Pavamana". @coffee_rules, are you familiar with that song?

Need more, he has sung devotional  many songs. He got a national award for this song