Im worried about Pant now

Suhaan

16 hours ago, Lord said:

was always gonna happen. Next time he 'throws' it away people will bash him again.

Hes never gonna be consistent or look safe while getting out.

But he is one of the most consistent batsman we have, who usually plays over  40 deliveries per test, very rarely he gets out in single digits

8 hours ago, New guy said:

But he is one of the most consistent batsman we have, who usually plays over  40 deliveries per test, very rarely he gets out in single digits

He has 6 single figures in his last 15 innings since WTC Final.

Plus looks bad when  he 'throws it away'

Any of his shots yesterday could have gone up in air and he'd been bashed.

But that's his game.We need to back him like Sehwag

On 1/13/2022 at 8:39 AM, sarchasm said:

It's a miracle that Pant has come through this far given how much he was messed about in the first 4 years since his international debut.

It started with Virat's fitness nautanki to keep Pant out and then his reckless shot selection.

I am similarly worried about Shaw who's another generational talent but our team management prefers mediocrities like Mayank and Panchal.

yes, shaw got 2 tests in utter green mambas in NZ and did somewhat okay. admittedly failed 1 test in Oz (clear technical issues), but has been utterly discarded since then. strange selections...

I am really worried about Pant.. I dont think there was another player in Indian cricketing history who was constantly put under this much pressure by TM & media.. 2 or 3 consecutive failures is all it takes to talk about dropping him.. earlier it was about his keeping skills against spinners.. now that he has improved in that aspect some other loopholes are being found.. its almost as if he is the only inconsistent player in the team

31 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

I am really worried about Pant.. I dont think there was another player in Indian cricketing history who was constantly put under this much pressure by TM & media.. 2 or 3 consecutive failures is all it takes to talk about dropping him.. earlier it was about his keeping skills against spinners.. now that he has improved in that aspect some other loopholes are being found.. its almost as if he is the only inconsistent player in the team

Exactly.. One average innings and the swords are out for him. But I believe under Dravid there'll be a lot more patient with him in LOIs compared to the previous management 

2 hours ago, Vk1 said:

If he reduces Afridi type of shots focus will be less on him.  Given the inadequate lower order we have, failures of top 6 will be magnified. It is not just Pant.  To draw a comparison Dhoni until he became the captain was very aggressive. His strike rate was close to 100 while maintaining an average in the mid 40s. He was immensely powerful. But he was also lightning between wickets.  After he became the captain he changed his approach. May be Pant has to re-evaluate his approach  And also improve in all the areas of batting like strike rotation, placing the ball in the gaps, running between the wickets. Improving game sense.  

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

If he reduces Afridi type of shots focus will be less on him.  Given the inadequate lower order we have, failures of top 6 will be magnified. It is not just Pant.  To draw a comparison Dhoni until he became the captain was very aggressive. His strike rate was close to 100 while maintaining an average in the mid 40s. He was immensely powerful. But he was also lightning between wickets.  After he became the captain he changed his approach. May be Pant has to re-evaluate his approach  And also improve in all the areas of batting like strike rotation, placing the ball in the gaps, running between the wickets. Improving game sense.  

this... comparison of Pant against a goat keeper like MSD.. I think its unfair.. same is not done for Shreyas or others.. Shreyas is not compared against Yuvi or Raina.. 

Edited by Vk1
43 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

this... comparison of Pant against a goat keeper like MSD.. I think its unfair.. same is not done for Shreyas or others.. Shreyas is not compared against Yuvi or Raina.. 

I think Iyer doesn't throw away his wicket mostly.  He has a better game sense than Pant. At one point his scores were like 88, 65, 18, 30, 71, 65, 70, 53.  His career average is 41. Strike rate 100. Capable of big overs. Shreyas Iyer  already has 8 century partnership including a double century partnership in 21 innings. He does well with partners.