Jump to content
the don

Unpopular opinion- Arshdeep Singh does not have a particularly high ceiling.

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

I think this is a meagre assumption, not too long ago he bounced a few batsman out in the world cup by hitting the deck, he's capable of hitting the deck when he wants to. 

 

Honestly, i haven't seen him bat, agree that fielding needs improvement, but after that dropped catch in Asia Cup, he hasn't really made a glaring error in the field. Bumrah took his batting seriously and improved leaps and bounds. Maybe  Siraj, Arshdeep,  Umran etc would follow the suit and work on their batting. 

Hit the deck doesn't just mean Bowling bouncers. Here is an example of hit the deck bowling. Not bowling bouncers but hitting the deck at short of length.

 

https://youtube.com/shorts/vZMaIQJxwMA?feature=share

Edited by rkt.india
Link to comment
58 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

I see allot of hate for Arshdeep on ICF.

Let's Analyse his bowling profile and see.

Height - 6.3" - ✓

Pace - 135 to 142 kph - ✓

Inswing to Right Hander -✓

Away Swinger to Right Hander- ✓

Slower Ball - ✓

Slower Ball Bouncer - ✓

Bouncer - ✓

Yorker - ✓

Can you please tell us what is that something you are looking for ?

 

 

 

His pace ain't 135-142kph range, he is around 132-136kph on average, he hardly gets it to swing away from the right handers, no zip of the pitch, nothing out of the ordinary, rp Singh was twice the bowler and he himself could not sustain for long.

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Mesky99 said:

His pace ain't 135-142kph range, he is around 132-136kph on average, he hardly gets it to swing away from the right handers, no zip of the pitch, nothing out of the ordinary, rp Singh was twice the bowler and he himself could not sustain for long.

Death bowling and yorkers. He is the best we have atm. 

Link to comment
39 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

I think this is a meagre assumption, not too long ago he bounced a few batsman out in the world cup by hitting the deck, he's capable of hitting the deck when he wants to. 

 

 

 

I clearly stated " who cannot hit the deck hard with length balls. His bouncer is good. 

 

Go through my posts above. 

 

Different pacers have issues with different lengths. 

 

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, maniac said:


he has played in Dubai, Aus and Ind conditons and so far never seen him get smashed badly so he is doing something right. I do understand sentiment of people not rating him as a future prospect but nothing he has done so far with the ball warrants any criticism whatsoever.

 

Not a criticism but discussion about his repertoire.

 

He is doing a lot right including having a solid temperament. 

 

But pacers who cannot extract life out of pitches with length balls almost invariable end up being specific condition bowlers in the long run.

 

Can't off hand think of a single successful pacer in the long run without this ability. Even a classic swing bowler like Anderson really hits the deck hard for bounce and seam movement off length balls if there is no swing on offer and gets the ball to zip and fly through even if the release speed is 132 k.

Edited by express bowling
Link to comment

This is not an unpopular opinion. 

Posters who really understand bowling know that he doesn't have a high ceiling. 

I have posted the same many times, his pace is 133-142 and that's in t20s,but still he can have an ok career as he moves the ball and has height. 

 

Earlier I thought he can't move the ball much but after seeing him in t20 world cup, i definitely take that back. 

 

Also, he won't play much test cricket for sure. 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, wanted_desi said:

Oh Boy! There is always a thread on Arshdeep when he has a bad game. The guy was your best bowler at the biggest stage and delivered when it mattered. Who has better Ceiling? Avesh Khan? 

Umran, kuldeep Sen, Siraj, Mohsin all have higher ceiling than Arshdeep. And yes even Avesh has higher ceiling than Arshdeep. Avesh failed to execute his skills consistently.On the other hand Arshdeep has been bang on with his execution and hence his success.

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Umran, kuldeep Sen, Siraj, Mohsin all have higher ceiling than Arshdeep. And yes even Avesh has higher ceiling than Arshdeep. Avesh failed to execute his skills consistently.On the other hand Arshdeep has been bang on with his execution and hence his success.

Isn't that what we want?

 

What's the point of all the pace and tailunt if you cant execute under pressure?

Link to comment
1 minute ago, express bowling said:

 

Apart from Avesh, no other such pacer has failed to execute yet. 

yes but why are we bashing someone who did?

 

As long as Arshdeep does what he's doing hes fine. Calmness under pressure is a rare trait. And hes only 23.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Lord said:

yes but why are we bashing someone who did?

 

As long as Arshdeep does what he's doing hes fine. Calmness under pressure is a rare trait. And hes only 23.

 

 

No one is bashing him.

 

It's a discussion of the repertoire that he has and how he can improve so that his ceiling increases.

 

He is just 23 and should work on the major shortcoming. 

 

 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...