Vijay Shankar, Shubman Gill named replacements for Pandya, Rahul

SecondSlip

5 minutes ago, GautiMaan said:

Hold your horses,TM has assured Rayudu of a long run,if he somehow gets  a few 30's in Aus,he will get a chance in the ODI series at home where he can make merry on some pattas and book his WC spot.

TM changes stances more than Hardik changes girls. OZ series + NZ tours, he is going to get exposed so badly, atleast thats what i am counting on. 

9 hours ago, bowl_out said:

Agree on Gill likely being overpowered by other forces in TM

Happy for Gill. But was looking forward to Mayank or Pant who have already established themselves in Australia to be part of the squad.

There won't be any possible WK replacements selected for the foreseeable future, MSD will not be made to look worse than the chump he's been even over the last few years!

18 minutes ago, GautiMaan said:

Hold your horses,TM has assured Rayudu of a long run,if he somehow gets  a few 30's in Aus,he will get a chance in the ODI series at home where he can make merry on some pattas and book his WC spot.

That'd be as bad as Mohit Sharma being selected for WC 2015, ahead of say Nehra ji, if not worse!

Edited by R!TTER
1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Pant is rested. 4th spinner in Krunal isn't needed. IMO, Jaddu has no place in LOIs and should be replaced by Krunal.

Why does pant need rest ? he is 21. 

if we want someone to bat at 8 then sure Jaddu can be picked over chahal but he cant be picked as allrounder as he isnt no 7. 

Sunny made a point yesterday dhoni, rayudu dont play first class so at that age its tough to say we will only play international cricket. 

2 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Why does pant need rest ? he is 21. 

if we want someone to bat at 8 then sure Jaddu can be picked over chahal but he cant be picked as allrounder as he isnt no 7. 

Sunny made a point yesterday dhoni, rayudu dont play first class so at that age its tough to say we will only play international cricket. 

This skipping first class cricket is just to make sure their failure is not seen before selection.

Selectors should give current match form in first class/ international  cricket as the criteria for selection for Indian team.

Dhoni has given an excuse to every tom dick and harry to skip first class cricket.

Edited by beetle

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/india-vs-australia-vijay-shankar-credits-influence-of-rahul-dravid-says-can-finish-off-games/story-ceUmIagj8ADqiY3IPG14MJ.html

“I think I have become mentally stronger now and I have full confidence that I can finish close matches. The India A tour of New Zealand has helped me understand my game much better,” Shankar told PTI during an interaction.

He believes that A team coach Dravid’s decision to send him to bat at No 5 in New Zealand helped him immensely.

“Rahul sir told me one thing that he has faith in my ability to finish games. I think batting at No 5 also suited my game as I was able to close two games and remain unbeaten,” said Shankar, who has so far played five T20s for India.

“The 87 I scored in a chase of 300 plus against New Zealand A gave me a lot belief that I also belong to this level. In another game, I scored 60 odd in a chase. “While batting at No 5, in all these matches when I was going into bat, we required 150 to 160 runs and it was very important that I paced the innings well and played the role of a finisher,” Shankar explained.

While he was bowling four to five overs per match during Vijay Hazare Trophy, he has bowled more overs in Ranji Trophy.

“I have put equal emphasis on both aspects of the game. I have completed my 10 over quota in a lot of Hazare games and got breakthroughs. In Ranji Trophy also, I had bowled a lot this season. The best part is that I feel more stronger mentally with the hard work I have put in.” The sudden selection and the cloud of uncertainty hovering over Pandya for his transgressions has suddenly brought Shankar into the mix but he is unfazed about it.

“I am not thinking about World Cup and all those things. You can’t play freely if you start thinking like that.

“I will have to be prepared and if an opportunity to comes along the way, I will have to grab it,” Shankar signed off.

Agarkar was a great odi bowler. He had a Yorker to kill for. He just could not do justice to his immense potential. Nevertheless a odi atg bowler for India . Huge respect. He might have lost some matches for us, but considering the support cast he had , he was a great asset to have. 

Dhoni would be repeat lbw candidate to agarkar in his current form.

37 minutes ago, prasen82 said:

Agarkar was a great odi bowler. He had a Yorker to kill for. He just could not do justice to his immense potential. Nevertheless a odi atg bowler for India . Huge respect. He might have lost some matches for us, but considering the support cast he had , he was a great asset to have. 

Dhoni would be repeat lbw candidate to agarkar in his current form.

Hold on here. Agarkar is not an ODI great for India. You gotta be kidding. I have seen him quit in the middle of a game. Anyone remember our match against SL in WC 2007. He came in at 120/6. All he needed was to give company to Rahul Dravid who was batting at the other end. However he hit a couple of boundaries against Malinga (their best bowler) and went for another boundary (three in a row) and was caught.

It seemed to me that he gave up with plenty of overs to go. Within a few overs, Dravid unfurled a range of strokes against Malinga all on the ground with no risks. The commentators were saying if only Agarkar was with Dravid, it could have been a tighter game. Now when all is over for him as far as his playing career is concerned, he is talking about Dhoni and his strike rate. Dhoni atleast stayed with Rohit. Dont give me what could have been. In between his yorkers, he bowled plenty of boundary balls. He had Zaheer, Srinath, Nehra and others who were far better than him. He was the supporting bowler not the others :no:

His highlight is the 1998 Sharjah series and the Adelaide test.

8 hours ago, Tendulkar1996 said:

Shankar is a flop selection,should have selected agarwal or pant instead.

+1  Agarwal for Raydu  and Pant for Dhoni....Vijay Sankar like mentioned is Joginder Sharma 2.0 or poor man's Hardik Pandya. This team could still beat Aus in Indian conditions but for SENA it is ill equipped. It may still win a match or two but that will on back individual performance from top 3.