Who is Rachin Ravindra? Meet New Zealand cricketer named after Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid

It isn't uncommon for players of Indian origin to play for New Zealand. The likes of Ish Sodhi, Jeetan Patel, Jeet Raval etc. have represented the Kiwis over the course of the nation's cricketing history. As New Zealand took on India in the 1st T20I of the 3-match series in Jaipur, another player of Indian origin found a place in their playing XI. That player was Rachin Ravindra.

The middle-order batsman didn't get to spend much time on the pitch and was bowled by Mohammed Siraj for just 7 runs from 8 deliveries. However, his arrival on the crease did make Indian cricket fans Google his name to find out a little more about the player.

Rachin is a 21-year-old all-rounder who has been named after two Indian cricket greats -- Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid. Rachin was born in Wellington to Indian parents -- Ravi Krishnamurthy who is a software system architect and Deepa Krishnamurthy. 

Rachin's father, Ravi, had moved from Bangalore to New Zealand in 1990s and is the founder of Hutt Hawks Club. In fact, Ravi is also a fond admirer of cricket and has played the sport in Bengaluru.

Speaking of his son, Rachin has represented New Zealand in the 2016 Under-19 World Cup as well as the 2018 Under-19 Cricket World Cup. He has played a total of 6 T20Is for the Kiwis, making his debut against Bangladesh in the series earlier this year in September.

He was even selected in the New Zealand squad for the World Test Championship final against India at Lord's but didn't make it to the playing XI.

“I’ve trained, played at RDT (Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh) every year in the last four years during our winter,” he had told Telangana Today.

One of the coaches at the Andhra Pradesh cricket academy, Khatib Syed Shahabuddin, has also spoken highly of the Kiwi player.

“He (Rachin Ravindra) was part of the Hutt Hawks contingent that used to train at the Rural Development Trust at Anantapur for the last four years. He is a promising cricketer. As a young cricketer, he showed a lot of promise and hunger to excel as a left-handed bat and left-arm spin.”

Speaking of his idols himself, Rachin had told Stuff.co.nz back in November 2016 that he has tried to emulate the batting style of Indian cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar.

“My batting idol is Sachin Tendulkar. I have modelled my game on him since I was very young,” Rachin had said.

When it comes to his career in the shortest format of the game overall, Rachin has played a total of 27 matches (excluding the Jaipur T20I), scoring 338 runs at a strike rate of 129 and a best of 40. 

He is also a handy bowler who can deliver left-arm spin. With the ball, Ravindra has claimed 25 wickets at a strike rate of 21.6.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/cricket/article/who-is-rachin-ravindra-meet-new-zealand-cricketer-named-after-sachin-tendulkar-and-rahul-dravid/832990

1 hour ago, Lord said:

First name combination of two legends Rahul+Sachin. Last name copy of ultra lejund Sir Jadeja

Kid is destined for greatness :hatsoff:

I remember during my lurking days on this forum, I distinctly remember reading a thread about NZ kid sensation Rachin, I guess it was started by @King

9 hours ago, Rajiv said:

Great to see @King son out there, recall him being a kid and the vids..what a moment man,..we've come a long way

Damn you RAVI - such a humble behind the scenes man, you won't find many like RAVI around. I recall those days 16 years ago

I still remember the days where you and Ravi did jugaad to set up video stream for some India series, forget which one.  If this kid is Ravi's son, then I'm so happy for both of them.  

The rando chat rooms where we used to banter while match was on.  I forgot that kids name who wanted to be cricket journalist - not the other Texas kid amit, but the other one who grew up in Hong kong or something.

Rajiv abhi sab boodhe ho gaye.  

Edited by sandeep
23 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I still remember the days where you and Ravi did jugaad to set up video stream for some India series, forget which one.  If this kid is Ravi's son, then I'm so happy for both of them.  

The rando chat rooms where we used to banter while match was on.  I forgot that kids name who wanted to be cricket journalist - not the other Texas kid amit, but the other one who grew up in Hong kong or something.

He is Ravi's son.

14 hours ago, sandeep said:

Yes, classic days when watching cricket was exclusive

very happy for Ravi