Murali Vijay - Goodbye and Thank you thread

End of the road for Vijay. Bit unfair when other players (Dhawan, Pujara, rahane) get so many opportunities but he is dropped after 2 tests. Still remember his fighting knock vs SA in 3rd test. Stood like a rock

Maybe should have used him in Australia where there is no swing??  What went against him? Age?? Not part of kohlis inner circle like dhawan??

Edited by R.D forever

Before 2013 SA tour I always thought he does not belong to the topmost level but did really well in the away tour leg after that and played some epic test knocks. I think the number of good knocks he has in SEA is second only to SunnyG for an Indian opener.

Was on a decline and probably the right decision to drop him.

Edited by Number

Was good for a while, really effective batsman for 4-5 years with many excellent knocks esp overseas. We haven't produced many great openers, so Vijay will be remembered as a good one. Sad how it ended because I feel he would have done well on the Trent Bridge deck and may be even in Australia. But he has only himself to blame for abandoning his strengths around which his game was built.

One things is clear, bias is deep ingrained in this team management and selection committee (latter being glorified errand boys), I will leave it at that. Was put off by the way Sanju and Sunny were defending their boys in the shows and on air. Similarly Kohli's buddy gang is here to stay, nothing we can do about it. May be even Saha will never get a look in, margins are really fine for some players....situation even more hopeless in shorter formats, why can't selectors make brave calls there?

Without digressing any further I will congratulate Vijay on a good career. He was an integral part of our rise to number 1 spot, played a big role even at home against NZ, SA and Eng...injuries came at the wrong time. Wishing KLR-Dhawan good luck for the rest of the series, hopefully we blood in some youngsters in the WI home series. First big change in the nucleus of this outstanding unit and casualty is the oldest member.

Edited by Gollum

He was a very good IPL player in the start but moulded his game to adjust to test cricket. That was pretty cool, hope more youngsters get inspired by that and give due importance to real cricket instead of the circus versions. After all disproportionately large % of a player's worth (not $$$) is determined by his red ball credentials. I am not asking kids to give up IPL and other tamasha stuff but to aspire to cut it in the longer format with zeal and determination. Che and Ishant never had ability for T20, Vijay had ability but he put that in the back-burner in his quest to represent the Indian test team.

Edited by Gollum

Some people have no shame. this is about Murali. Dhawan has nothing to do with it. Dhawan currently is the better bat. his average for the series is better than all the openers (including England). Hate will only take you so far.

He was good in his prime. His performance was declining and with him not playing ODI’s, which is one way of showing selectors that you can still score runs and earn a call up back in test, he is not trusted much now as a batsman by selectors to open for the Indian test team, even though he played a hard fought, grindin knock in South Africa . Eventually more than gutsy knocks, runs are required now on board and he wasn’t able to put much and hence finds his way out of the team. Players like Rahul or Dhawan are still seen scoring in limited overs and hence are trusted more by selectors whom they believe can still score at the test level, that along with wave of new Indian talent emerging in the form of Prithvi Shaw and many others have put pressure on selectors to make such a decision.  With India going 0-2 down, someone had to take a boot from the top order and Vijay, unfortunately was the one. 

Back to Vijay’s career - he has been a brilliant player and had to wait long to find his permanent slot once Gambhir-Sehwag p’ship finally ended for India. He took over and gave India some fantastic and important starts in different conditions and that no one can take away from him. One of his heroic efforts would be to fight along with Kohli in Adelaide and almost converting a defeat into victory in 2014-15 tour. 

I hope we see him again, but if not, he should be proud to have a career like he did.