Expected to be selected for at least one of the squads’: Shubman Gill

england-lions-international-india-a-tri-

Young cricketer Shubman Gill was left disappointed after he failed to seal a spot in any of the three India squads for the upcoming tour of Windies starting August 3. India are scheduled to play three T20Is, three ODIs and two Tests against Windies but Gill couldn’t break into the team despite performing well for India A recently.

In the unofficial five-match series in West Indies, Gill scored 218 runs for India ‘A’, including three half-centuries. Despite his rich vein of form, he was overlooked for the senior side and the stylish right-hander has expressed his disappointment.

Also Read: Pollard, Narine named in 14-man squad for first two T20Is against India

“I was waiting for the Indian senior team to be announced on Sunday and I expected to be selected for at least one of the squads,” Gill told Cricketnext. “It was disappointing not to get picked but I am not going to spend time thinking over it. I’ll keep scoring runs and performing to the best of my ability to impress the selectors.”

“It was a fantastic series for me and team as well since we won with a 4-1 margin. Personally, I would have liked to carry on and score at least a couple of hundreds in those fifties. But I will learn from this experience,” Gill added.

Overall, he has scored 1545 runs in 38 matches at an impressive average of 45.44 for India ‘A’. Gill’s breakout year included him picking up the ‘Emerging Player of the Tournament’ award in the Indian Premier League (IPL) for Kolkata Knight Riders. Also, in the Ranji Trophy, he scored over 700 runs in five matches last season.

Gill’s show in Caribbean might not have helped him get selected for the senior side but he feels it was a great learning experience for him.

Also Read: Harbhajan Singh trolls Pakistan, others post Chandrayaan-2 launch

“The West Indies team that we faced here in the series was very good. The pitches — especially in the first few one-dayers — were very tough to bat on. It was tough challenging cricket and it’s good that we managed to come out on top,” Gill said.

“The biggest lesson that I have learned from my first West Indies tour is to try to curb my natural game depending on match condition. It’s important to block the good balls as well and remain at the crease for as long as possible. Person who is set at the crease needs to bat through the difficult period,” he added.

India’s squad for 2 Tests: Virat Kohli (Captain), Ajinkya Rahane (VC), Mayank Agarwal, KL Rahul, C Pujara, Hanuma Vihari, Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant (WK) Wriddhiman Saha (WK), R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Ishant Sharma, Mohammed Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Umesh Yadav

India’s squad for 3 ODIs: Virat Kohli (Captain), Rohit Sharma (VC), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Rishabh Pant (wk), Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kedar Jadhav, Mohammed Shami, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Khaleel Ahmed, Navdeep Saini

India’s squad for 3 T20Is: Virat Kohli (Captain), Rohit Sharma (VC), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Rishabh Pant (WK), Krunal Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Washington Sundar, Rahul Chahar, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Khaleel Ahmed, Deepak Chahar, Navdeep Saini

Edited by nsareen
13 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Good to see young players speak out against the gross injustice being done to them. The idiotic TM prefers insecure seniors who are easy to manipulate. These unfair practices are unlikely to last long though. 

Don't bet on it, we've seen Oldie play for 3+ years when he should've been sacked by the end of Oz tour in 2012, as a test captain. While in LO he should've been sacked by the end of 2015 WC, yet here we are!

Overall he played well but not best to his abilities.In 2nd and 3rd matches he was overly defensive against spin.He did not  come out of crease against spin even once,otherwise he is excellent in using feet against spin-to play ball both in air or along ground.In 5th match he used feet against spin bowlers and got positive outcomes.

But he made mistake on ball he got out by playing sweep "against" the relatively strong wind.He should have swept that ball fine as there was no fielder over there.Lately,he has shown superb control over pull shots;he must show same control for sweep shot ,which he indeed possess as was seen in Ranji match against Hyderabad on 4th day turning wicket.

Shreyas Iyer's international T20 record so far:

6 matches; 83 runs; 16.60 average; 103.75 Strike rate

Rishab Pant's international T20 record so far:

15 matches; 233 runs; 19.41 average; 119.48 Strike rate

Gill is only one being targeted while others are getting chances  ! Even DK forced him to play at 6/7th position in IPL,unless KKR was on brink of elimination. Had he opened in all IPL matches,he could have scored 500 runs with strike rate of 150.

24 minutes ago, vaul said:

Shreyas Iyer's international T20 record so far:

6 matches; 83 runs; 16.60 average; 103.75 Strike rate

Rishab Pant's international T20 record so far:

15 matches; 233 runs; 19.41 average; 119.48 Strike rate

Gill is only one being targeted while others are getting chances  ! Even DK forced him to play at 6/7th position in IPL,unless KKR was on brink of elimination. Had he opened in all IPL matches,he could have scored 500 runs with strike rate of 150.

Load of Bull Crap. Did you guys not notice. Even Shaw has been ignored from test squad. Team building , my foot

India are building a bigger burden in Kohli being captain of LOI teams. Fear to imagine what kind of things Kohli going to do after 3 or 4 years as his brand and PR might be bigger than Dhoni. And Dhoni has set a precedent of overstaying despite should have kicked out after 2015 wc:facepalm:

On topic feel bad of Gill. He can service Indian team over a decade if groomed properly. Wonder will he be given proper chances under Rat. 

40 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

is there any oversight for this supreme court appointed selectors club?

no just the SC who do not like giving oversight on such bodies they have no time for the genuine cases even, they just like giving retirement homes to their pals the IAS and an odd liberal journalist or a female champion etc.