In the context of the game...was Rohit’s knock really that bad?

maniac

Not saying he played a great knock or anything but he survived the trickiest session of the day...yeah we expect him to kick on which he didn’t but by no means this was a disastrous performance. Also has been solid in the field.

played out almost 10 overs to blunt the newish ball in the toughest conditions....if his was Pujara or Vijay ICF would be celebrating the knock.

yeah it was a low score and he didn’t cash in but too much hate going on.

Edited by maniac

What he did was nightwatchman job. If you want him to do nightwatchman role, you can say he did good.

Ishant Sharma was the last known good nightwatchman, Rohit did slightly better than him. Saw thro' tricky phase and then edged to slips after tricky phase was seen thro.

But he certainly did NOT do the role of middle-order batsman.

Nightwatchman 9/10 marks

Middle-order batsman 3.5/10 marks

Edited by fineleg

Maniac, I can see him score against this same side at home in India than in South Africa. The form he is in, he can score a lot of runs against this same bowling attack in other conditions, but in South Africa it only gets tough for him.

Now with Steyn out, he has a chance to do well as Steyn is the x-factor who provides South Africa that consistent out swing world class bowling. 

I still feel he can play Rabada easily even though he got out to him today, but t is the Morkel and Philander who migjht provide him a much harder time as the tour progresses.

I hope he clicks in the 2nd inning as I hope for other guys to also click but seriously do not see a good long term solution to this when playing away, which will happen a lot this year.  Rahane or Rahul might have failed today too but they have shown promise to survive in these conditions more, in particular Rahane who was The Boss on the last away tour. Rahul being the promising bat of late could have been tried.

Kohli has too many runs recently at home bu come England tour, he has to answer the same questions which Rohit has to answer in this test as Kohli sucked on the last England tour.

I can see this Rohit score against Hazlewood and Starc more in Australia more than against Morkel-Philander-Rabada in South Africa.

6 minutes ago, CG said:
7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:
The problem with Rohit is playing out of his natural game. He is no Pujara or Dravid. He needs to play his natural game.

That's his natural game if you watch him in ODIs and FC he takes his time to settle then he opens up.

Thing is in ODI’s, captains are restricted to using bowlers for short spells and you can have trash bowlers coming later to replace them. This does not happen when playig Test in South Africa as you will have two world class fast bowlers waiting to replace the other two and once they are done, the initial two bowlers have had enough rest to come back at you.

Maharaj barely got to ball today while seamers were bowling all the time. This what you won’t see much in ODI’s. Also you won’t see in ODI’s so many slip fielders and gully throughout the game while in tests in South Africa one will and most batsmen will be caught there all the time, the most caught behind dismissals compared to anywhere in the world.

I think the more concerning part is if he has a technical deficiency in playing quality fast bowling in seaming conditions. Seems he plants his foot way too much towards offstump and head tends to fall over. Quality quicks like Amir, Rabada have exploited that in getting him out LBW.

Rohit is not suited for this kind of a game. We all knew it right away. However, there was a hope that he might come well. I don't blame him, may be he has to sit and work on his game. Playing him over Rahane is atrocious. Here's a proven overseas performer dropped for someone who you (Kohli) created chances and did well against a meaningless Lankan attack.

11 minutes ago, Lannister said:

I agree with the OP. The sample is just too small to judge him to know if he has really improved. 

OP asking if 11 runs is bad or not. Indeed its bad just like low scores of others also like that of Kohli, Vijay etc.

Top and middle order players are supposed to score runs and not just play out sessions. If you have only 11 runs to show then you haven’t done your job. In the same scenario had Shami or Bumrah had done this with Pandya, then I would say they have done their job for staying on the wicket for that long.

Rohit showed effort to stay which was good, but not the runs. 

Now unless one is thinking Rohit is a tailender then indeed he has done his job by staying for 50 balls.