Solving India’s Middle Order Crisis

Jimmy Cliff

CricViz Analysis: Solving India’s Middle Order Crisis

....And so we come to the elephant in the room; there is little statistical basis for keeping MS Dhoni in the side. He has scored at 4.92rpo since the start of 2017, despite facing most of his deliveries at the end of the innings, and he has just the eighth highest Average Batting Impact. When he faces less than 20 balls in a match, India win 88% of the time; when he faces more than that, they win 53% of the time.

These are crude measures in many ways, and should not detract from the career of one of the finest cricketers to play in ODIs. But there is a reasonable argument that India have a better chance of winning the 2019 World Cup without him in the side. Without him, Pant can take the gloves. Without him an all-rounder, whether it’s Kedar Jadhav, Krunal Pandya, Axar Patel or Ravindra Jadeja, can take the No.7 position and offer that vital extra bowling option. It may be time for a ruthless decision to be made....

CricViz dropping the truth bombs :icflove:.

Edited by Jimmy Cliff

WC is not a farewell tournament. I don't know why players in India perceive it to be one 

Considering that Dhoni will not hang his boots in international cricket b4 WC19 and to account for his relatively slow batting, Ind may need to play hard hitting batsmen like Pandya higher up in the batting order, esp if the top 3 lay a good foundation, to leverage on the momentum .... if they succeed, Dhoni is not required to bat much. If they fail, Dhoni can do his tuk tuk and play with the bowlers  

Edited by zen
19 minutes ago, zen said:

WC is not a farewell tournament. I don't know why players in India perceive it to be one 

Considering that Dhoni will not hang his boots in international cricket b4 WC19 and to account for his relatively slow batting, Ind may need to play hard hitting batsmen like Pandya higher up in the batting order, esp if the top 3 lay a good foundation, to leverage on the momentum .... if they succeed, Dhoni is not required to bat much. If they fail, Dhoni can do his tuk tuk and play with the bowlers  

There is another simple option - selectors man up and drop Dhoni.

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

The problem is so called big hitters in the team like Pandya are such hit and miss. They need Rahul to solidify no 4 spot but as we saw today this guy has problem of not finishing even when he gets a start.

How many ODIs has he played at a fixed position? He is a relative youngster( both agewise  & experience wise)

4 hours ago, Nash said:

What will you say if dhoni gets his form back and start hitting centuries one after another? 

since 2015 WC we have heard the following:

• he should bat up the order as he should play freely having borne the pressure of being finisher for so long
  • now he will play aggressively as he has relinquished captaincy
  • he should bat at 4 as he is cannot hit it the same was as before
  • he should play in the side as being invaluable advice to youngsters

as one can see from above, reasoning has changed about his selection or justification of spot but he has not got his mojo back which is apparent.He struggles against leg spin/ left arm , yetserday he was not middling the ball from an offie, which is an indiactment on his waning ability.

I have said it before, Dhoni of  today has this defeatist mindset  reminiscent of Misbha and quite an outcry from vintage Dhoni

So to sum up, he is a liability in the batting order today who ahas too many condition apply to perform and I dont see him getting his mojo back

Just to add more, form will not be a issue with him, he can still score 40-60 runs consistently but the rate is not upto the mark and in chases that proves crucial

Edited by SK_IH
5 hours ago, putrevus said:

The problem is so called big hitters in the team like Pandya are such hit and miss. They need Rahul to solidify no 4 spot but as we saw today this guy has problem of not finishing even when he gets a start.

finishing isnt a job of an opener.  Regarding Pandya, he bats at 7.  He is not a finisher.  No one can be finisher at 7. His job is to come in try to hit big shots.  It is the job of batting at 5 and 6 to finish who gets enough balls to play. That is why I am asking Pandya to be moved up to 5 or 6 and use him more as a batsman who can bowl some overs and bring in someone else for 7.

Playing both Dhoni and DK is the issue. Ideally, from those we have seen we should see if a top 7 of

Dhawan

Rohit

Rahul

Kohli

Jadhav

Pant

Pandya

Would this work? But the logic is that we need a half decent sixth bowler in case if an injury to one of our main bowlers. Jadhav makes the team because of this although im not sold on him. Pant has more batting ability than both DK and Dhoni put together so that's a no brainer. Rahul ahead of Rayudu since he can score quicker and against better bowler s than gulbaddin and naib.

But apart from being unable to drop dhoni, I doubt kohli's who will allow us to give Rahul chances at no.3. Kohli, for the sake of the team, should drop to 4 and play more of an anchor role since rotation of strike us his forte. Our best stroke players should be at 1,2 and 3 to make best use of the 2 new balls.

18 minutes ago, velu said:

one bad year ( i expected much worse ) :p:

thala will be back with a bang .. i hope dhoni will regain his form and everyone want him to continue till 2023 :pray: 

It was slightly worse in 2016 when he scored at around 4.8 rpo so he has improved somewhat since then. I guess if he plays until 2023 he might just go past the 5 rpo mark.