Contribution to Indian cricket : Is there anyone even close to Dravid?

11 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Hard to please Indians, damned if you do, damned if you don't.  I am pretty sure some punjabi/bengali cricketer had achieved a WC, albeit u19, they would be hailed as a supreme force of change. Nobody is claiming he made these young players, they would be pretty good at their skill to get selected among the 1000s of aspiring players. But, definitely, as a coach , he can shape them, their temperment and to keep a level head, especially when there was a IPL auction stupidly scheduled in the  middle of a WC to distract these teenagers.  Just  to be around them itself would be inspiring to these young minds and Dravid has the perfect image for somebody to look up to.

Look at the expression of the one in the cap ...amazing

virat_kohli_dravid_20121015.jpg

Holy moly! That's KOHLI??!! 

On 2/3/2018 at 11:32 AM, maniac said:

Does he also get paid like a newcomer?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/news/rahul-dravid-being-compensated-for-losing-ipl-job/articleshow/59571439.cms

He is probably getting paid the same as his IPL stint with DD. Now with RR he would have gotten more than BCCI job. But IPL he gets the same for 2 months of work. Now with BCCI, he has to put in more days in for less pay! 

For the U19 WC he got paid 50 lakhs prize money while players and support staff got 30 lakhs. He has objected to it and probably will share his prize money with support staff.

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/not-fair-to-others-says-rahul-dravid-as-he-questions-his-rs-50-lakh-cash-reward-5052809/

:clap:

They all contribute. But indirect contribution is immense from Sachin. Other day i was watching Subhman Gill. One thing he said was he was copying all the Sachin shots and practicing. Sounds familiar? Yes Sehwag was doing the same when he was young. They even showed a footage of comparisons. Later on he branched out. Sachin became a role model like nobody can even come close to. Produced vast number of mini sachins across the cricketing fraternity.  Like him or hate him he really set the standard for generations to come. 

Dravid/Laxman/Ganguly/Kapil are no less. If we are talking about negative contributors Manjrekar will win it hands down. 

22 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

They all contribute. But indirect contribution is immense from Sachin. Other day i was watching Subhman Gill. One thing he said was he was copying all the Sachin shots and practicing. Sounds familiar? Yes Sehwag was doing the same when he was young. They even showed a footage of comparisons. Later on he branched out. Sachin became a role model like nobody can even come close to. Produced vast number of mini sachins across the cricketing fraternity.  Like him or hate him he really set the standard for generations to come. 

Dravid/Laxman/Ganguly/Kapil are no less. If we are talking about negative contributors Manjrekar will win it hands down. 

Someone told me that sachin copied from sunil....was that true?

Edited by gakgupta
1 hour ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Dravid, the upper caste Indian elite's favorite cricketer. The following this guy has for reasons beyond his actual skill really amazes me.

I will tell you this why.

People like Dravid just because he was a legend who left crazy impact on Indian cricket, not as much as Sachin who came in as a youngster and dominated both forms of the game, but Dravid still left a significant impact on Indian cricket by scoring 80 odd 50s in format he wasn’t considered good at(ODI’s) , and then averaging 52 inthe Test format. He was part of the biggest wins in Indian cricket just like how Sachin was and like his legendary peer, Dravid gets adored for similar reasons if not all.

Regarding the coaching thing, yes India has won many under19 wc before and will continue to win many u19 wc may be without Dravid as coach but the reason for the adulation comes because Dravid, since his retirement, has constantly talked about being involed with youngsters or being involved in some coaching aspect.

He tried his hands on commentary to numerous other things like being part of the glamorous IPl coaching management where you pick 8 different staff members to coaches per side to teach players how to play t20 format which barely last 3 hours. Dravid quickly realized he doesn’t belong there and with results not coming his way he has focused on helping scout the youngsters from early age.

This is what he is doing. Scouting and helping youngsters at theie young age.

Never in history has Indian coach given so much preference to performance over winning the under 19wc. He has made sure that none of these guys who won the world cup this time go on to represent India under19 again, just so that new youngsters get to play and get the feel of the world stage. That is the reason why Washington Sundar was left out this time.

When Dravid is praised, of course not every one remembers what all he is doing at under19 at this time, but the praise just comes from within since what he did for Indian cricket as a player, has carried forward into his post-cricket career and that has made people extremely optimistic about Indian cricket.

Dravid reeks of positivness.

https://scroll.in/field/869951/dravid-takes-a-pay-cut-so-that-the-rest-support-staff-of-u-19-wcup-winning-team-gets-more

It is learnt that according to a revised list of cash awards, every member of the coaching staff, including Dravid, will receive Rs 25 lakh. This decision also qualifies the family of team trainer Rajesh Savant, who died last year, to receive the incentive. The other additions to the list are W V Raman, who was the coach when the under-19 team toured England, logistics managers Manuj Sharma and Sumeet Malahapurkar and trainer Amogh Pandit.

“From the time the award was announced, Dravid wasn’t happy with him getting much more than others. He informed the Board that he felt that every member had played an equal role in the team winning the World Cup. It surprised many in the BCCI that he was ready to take a cut in his own earning,” the paper quoted a Board member said on condition of anonymity.

I remember my math teacher in school who was very good and often complained tha he wishes he was teaching the sixth class students rather than 11th so that he can make them better.

Rahul is few of those individuals who genuinely wants to develope these kids. Nothing but class.

As far as contributions go lot of pllayers have contributed and they should never be compared. Everyone should be thankful for it.

On 2/1/2018 at 11:31 PM, maniac said:

We lost to Nepal and Afghanistan in Asia Cup, we have lost in the finals of previous U-19 WC(I think Dravid was the coach then as well) We did extremely well this U-19 WC...infact India has reached the U-19 final 6 times.

Now as far as compensation goes it is probably right there among the top cricketing coaches in the world.

As far as accountability goes the U19 WC is probably what is the most scrutinized in this role...Do people even remember Asia Cup U19? Or any “outstanding A tour victories” in recent times?

I don’t want to keep adding this caveat of how much I respect Dravid or prove anything...All I am asking is how does this account for “outstanding contribution” can someone answer that?

Serious question @coffee_rules @beetle @jusarrived @sourab10forever

How is Dravids contribution more than Tushar Arothe? who took Indian women’s cricket to great heights for probably not even 5% of the salary?

We won ODI tri-series with India A on last SA tour. Test series ended 1-1. Regarding U19 Asia cup, half the players who played u19 WC were not there in that Asia cup squad due to injuries and that was a second string squad. Most of them were playing an U19 game for the first time. We all expected that team to not to do that well.

1 hour ago, Pollack said:

Lol. Always thought Dravid makes efforts to show he is humble dor the sake of his image in the public. He is not naturally humble or down to earth. Asking for cut in reward price proves it. What a show off!! Indian emotional public will get fooled though. Great job. :biggrin:

how asking for cut is show off. 25 lacs is some money.

9 hours ago, Pollack said:

Show off of how great and down to earth he is. Just accept what is paid. Why so much drama?

He actually did not go public with that news. He quietly requested BCCI to distribute the extra he got to other support staff. Then BCCI accepted it and God knows how it got into public. Dravid may not have wanted publicity but only do that under the impression of helping the support staff.