What next for Axar Patel?

We don't have many home tests the next 2 years. Overseas going to be tough to get in, even Ashwin isn't a sure starter there. 

Just 27, he can still have a 50-60 tests long career. 

Hope he is given a decent run in our white ball teams. In T20s I think he has a much higher ceiling than Jaddu. 

Edited by Gollum

In Ind in the future, I'd like to see moderately spinning pitches (kind of like the 4th test) with 3 spin attack. Ash-Jaddu-Axar. and by then hopefully sundar can become a proper middle/top order bat. then we would have 4 spin options and the 2 pacers. batting till 9 (with axar at 9).

Home tests:-

Jadeja 7

Ashwin 8

Axar at 9

Overseas:-

Jadeja

Ashwin

Three pacers

If Jadeja is injured, Sundar can bat at 7 in tests.

If Ashwin is injured, then India can go for Kuldeep or Axar in overseas tests. So now, Axar should play only home tests and let Ashwin play overseas with Jadeja and Jadeja's replacement will be Sundar. We don't need our second spinner to be great overseas. But their batting will be more important so Sundar as backup for Jadeja is right choice.

3 hours ago, Vickydev said:

He could be looked at in LOIs as well if Chahal keeps stinking up the place. He is so miserly in that format, plus he is much more than darter. He varies his pace beautifully and gets good drift and bounce. Reminds me of Santner. And he is a decent batsman to boot.

Yup very underrated in white ball cricket, not just a darter but subtle pace variation. I think he can be a superior version of Jaddu there, hope we invest in him since 2 out of next 3 WCs will be held in India. 

What next for Axar? Help DC win IPL 2021. Him and Ashwin the spin twins, Rabada/Nortje, Umesh without pressure of being spearhead, Pant with sky high confidence, hopefully an improved Shaw....DC is gonna roast MI this time. 

35 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Yup very underrated in white ball cricket, not just a darter but subtle pace variation. I think he can be a superior version of Jaddu there, hope we invest in him since 2 out of next 3 WCs will be held in India. 

yes, axar can be better than jaddu as a bowler in ODIs/T20s. huge fan of jaddu in tests, not so much in LOIs.

34 minutes ago, Gollum said:

What next for Axar? Help DC win IPL 2021. Him and Ashwin the spin twins, Rabada/Nortje, Umesh without pressure of being spearhead, Pant with sky high confidence, hopefully an improved Shaw....DC is gonna roast MI this time. 

DC looks good, but their batting is still problematic compared to MI