'Just put on some clothes and run': Charu Sharma reveals phone call from IPL chairman after Hugh Edmeades' health issue

Austin 3:!6

An unfortunate incident took place on Day 1 (Saturday) of the Indian Premier League (IPL) mega auction, when auctioneer Hugh Edmeades collapsed on the stage mid-way through the bidding for Sri Lanka's Wanindu Hasaranga. Later, the IPL confirmed that Edmeades “had an unfortunate fall due to Postural Hypotension,” and that he remains stable. Earlier today, Edmeades also issued a video message where he confirmed that he is fine and extended his wishes to Charu Sharma, who was called at short notice to resume the auction.

Sharma lives near the hotel where the auction is being conducted in Bengaluru and he revealed the phone call from the league's chairman Brijesh Patel, who told him to “put on some clothes and run.” 

“I don’t live too far from the hotel. So Brijesh called me and said, ‘just put on some clothes and run’… I was there in just 15-20 minutes. They briefed me for a bit and then we were on,” Sharma told Sportstar.

“I am also a regular auctioneer and have held a lot of auctions for several other leagues, except for the IPL. I was only doing what I did in the past..”

Charu Sharma had earlier served as the CEO of IPL franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore in the inaugural edition of the tournament and remains a constant presence on television broadcasts during sporting tournaments.

“I still do a fair amount of cricket and other leagues," said Sharma. 

"I am 62 and if the phone rings, I still work. If it doesn’t ring, then I play golf, tennis, and stay at home. Even at times, friends tell me, ‘Hey Charu, we miss you in cricket.’ I joke and say, ‘even I miss myself.’ But that being said, I have done a lot of leagues and other assignments, the recent being the Tata Open Maharashtra.”

Sharma returned as auctioneer on the second and final day of the mega auction.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/just-put-on-some-clothes-and-run-charu-sharma-reveals-phone-call-from-ipl-chairman-after-hugh-edmeades-health-issue-101644740836537.html

Actually the auction was extremely confusing when Hugh Edmeades conducted it. As the bids happened, he just mentioned the increase in pricing, but almost never the bidding teams. It also did not help that camera crew could not keep up with the pace in switching between the bidding tables.

On one occasion, I was just listening to the audio and wondered who the heck this new player was:((. It turned out to be Padikkal. Hugh's pronunciations were totally off.

Once Charu came in, he was the epitome of calm and took the time to advice the teams and viewers on bid increment increases, recognize the folks supporting the auction etc & even thanking Dream11 for working on the sports economy. Very professional.

But the change with Charu was also the much longer pauses, before closing out the auction. Surely, RCB would have gotten away with a crore lesser for DK, if Hugh was still running the auctions. 

Great job, overall, by Charu! Kudos! 

Edited by Stutter