Is Steve Waugh the greatest captain ever?

lamellavig

Steve Waugh, the iceman, was a player fit to lead McGrath, Warne and Gilchrist's Aussies. Steve Waugh kept enforcing the follow on even after Eden Gardens 2001. Steve Waugh is like cricket's Pep Guardiola.

Virat Kohli is like cricket's Mourinho. Virat Kohli is boring, defensive and negative. Steve Waugh was the most attacking you could possibly be. He had 5 slips at all times. 

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

Steve Waugh's the most hyped captain ever.

+1. He inherited a super strong team from Mark Taylor and while he deserves respect for instilling a ruthlessness to do clean sweeps and winning streaks, he is not the one who built the team from scratch. Mark Taylor was tactically astute and a gentleman, Waugh was a potty mouthed sledger who encouraged his players to sy the nastiest things on the field. 

Yes,. Steve Waugh is the best captain ever. His record of 41 wins, 9 losses in 57 tests speaks volumes of it.

IMO, he took on a bunch of capable guys instilled a fearless approach at batting and give little away approach at bowling. He moulded that team of good players into an all time great team. He wasn't afraid to drop players even great ones if he thought they weren't good enough.

I'm sorry I just don't see Taylor or Ponting or Clarke having that single minded approach like Waugh possessed.

Captaincy is not just about tactics on the field but sometimes you have to be very good at your primary job as a batsmen or a bowler. Being a captain he led from the front with his batting as well. He had rescued Australia from so many precarious positions. His wc knocks are legendary.

Kohli is much more ambitious than MSD was. The Dhoniconda formula was to employ trundlers to bowl tight lines until the batsman failed out of frustration or boredom. This worked on slow indian pitches but these guys got hammered abroad. 

Kohli revived the role of the pace bowler in Indian test cricket. Pacers started attacking again instead of bowling defensive lines at 110kph. 

He also shows character in the field and gets into the head of the opposition. MSD on the other hand had all the shyness of a traditional newly wed Indian bride. 

Finally, he leads from the front. He is one of the most respected batsmen in the game and his mere presence at the crease causes headaches to test captains. 

Anyway, back to Steve Waugh. 

Misbah-ul-Haq is the best test captain for me who won 26 test matches for Pakistan. Moreover we won most of the matches without having superstars like in McGrath,Warne, Gilly, Ponting,etc like who were there in Aussie side when Steve Waugh captaining. Therefore Misbah led an inconsistent team with lot of youngsters while keeping 46% win ratio. I rate him higher than Waugh :cantstop:

I never liked any captain more than Hansie Cronje. My favorite till date. I was young and probabaly today have better knowledge of the game than what I had when Hansie was in his prime and wasn’t even charged for the match fixing, but I do remember him being a class captain. I envied him as a young fan and still would say he is my favorite captain ever 

The only & only Clive Lloyd - he changed a generation of Windians into world beaters, all within half a decade. His approach to test cricket, to a lesser extent LO, was followed by Aus in the late 90's & 2k with great success. What's unmatched however is the bowling attack, especially pace battery. You'll never see any other ATG team come close to that level of ferocity ever!

On 12/30/2018 at 7:54 AM, Suhaan said:

Anybody leading an ATG aus team will find any  task as easy as walk in the park

But,Waugh was leading Aus from late 1998 and got many wins under his belt when it all started,

Infact the 1999 wc win was his masterclass

Really ? It took him a while to remove Adam Dale from opening the bowling and bring the spearhead McGrath where he belonged. Which great captain does this kind of buffoonery ?

14 minutes ago, Clarke said:

@velu @Rasgulla @sscomp32

Do u guys have anything to add on who's the greatest captain of all time :thinking:

I think Aamir did really well in laagan. My vote goes to aamir.  His decision to bowl kachra changed the match. That hattrick was unbelievable. 

Independence of India. :rock: 

Edited by Rasgulla