What went wrong with Kulcha?

Kuldeep and Chahal were our premier ODI spinners from late 2017 to early 2019 and were match winners in the format. And then, all of a sudden, they were nowhere near as effective after that. 

I have heard many cricket pundits say that lack of pace through the air is and planning against their variations got better. 

However, one look at the speed data and its clear that this isnt the truth. Kuldeep s average speed is around 83-84 kph in this match whereas in those days has averaged around 78 kph  both Chahal and Kuldeep used to sometimes bowl as slow as 67-69 kph on occasions back then. 

They are spinners after all and in modern day cricket they will have off days but ever since they have bowled quicker,  they have had more bad days than good ones. Thus was probably a clear example if trying to fix something that wasnt broken by making them sacrifice their strengths . What do ICFers think?

The super flat decks of the 2019 WC also didn't help, they were super duper flat with boundaries as short as some of the Kiwi matchboxes! The end result was that they bowled flatter, faster & hence shorter. Leggies bowling short is the end of the road for them, of course it doesn't help that Captain crook played his favorite midget in the WC SF - he was easily the worst bowler that day, on a very helpful surface!See the source image

5 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

Novelty factor khatam. They've not evolved as bowlers.

China man bowlers cannot evolve. They will go for runs on good batting wickets. India's problem is we have too many options to choose from. If Kuldeep had been a better batsman and fielder he would have been an automatic pick every match despite odd expensive matches.

Good that Kula was brought back in the game and allowed more overs so we can see this guy is done. I wouldn't play him in any format now except maybe tests as the 3rd spinner.  Him and Chahal had their moments but they have been figured out and better for us to use smarter bowlers who can also bat/field a bit. My top spinners in odi cricket right now would be Jaddu/Sundar/Axar if het gets a chance. I would like to see Ashwin given a chance again in odi before the world cup, not t20, I think he will do well potentially and he can bat a bit. 

Yadav to all intents and purposes looks done. Novelty worn off and looks a sad shadow unsure of role, purpose or objective. Mentally shot too.

International sports is ruthless, have to evolve, adapt and learn lessons. Yadav has shown zero growth and should not be selected again until serious leaps in progress are made.

He’s not improving. He needs conditions to help his bowling. Also he is slow and doesn’t has control on his line & length. Many balls were pitched short and/or on the leg.
Other bowlers too have limitations however they improvise and add more skills to outfox the batsmen. 

All these leads to lack of confidence.

Edited by asterix

It wasn't practically possible to play all four of chahal kuldeep bumrah n shami together as it meant we playing with 4 no 11s. It's just not feasible. 

So to accommodate that jadeja was brought back in inspite of being an avg odi bowler. So the combo was broken and never got back together. 

Edited by OpeningBatsman