Rohit Sharma: I want middle order to prepare for '10 for 3' situations

sage

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/rohit-sharma-i-want-middle-order-to-prepare-for-worst-when-team-is-10-for-3-1292918

Rohit Sharma wants India's white-ball middle order to prepare for the situations when the side has been reduced to "10 for 3".

"To be honest, not really," Rohit said. "I would say it was that initial phase of the game where we lost the game. So that's something I'll keep in mind and see that we prepare for the worst. We have to prepare when the team is 10 for 3. That's how I want to move forward and get the message across to the boys that guys who are batting at No. 3, 4, 5, 6, there's nowhere written that if you are 10 for 2 or 3 [in a T20I], you can't get 180 or you can't get 190, or maybe more.

"I want the guys to prepare in that fashion. Let's say we are playing the semi-final and we are 10 for 2 in the first two overs, what do we do? What is the plan? I want to put ourselves in that situation again and see if we can respond to that. We have got some games before the World Cup to try and test that out. Because if you look there is a similarity between all three games that we lost - two Pakistan games and one New Zealand game in three ICC tournaments.

"I do understand that the quality of the bowling was exceptional at that point, but it has happened three times. I hope that it doesn't happen for the fourth time. So hopefully we will prepare for that, keeping that situation in mind and move forward and see how we can plan - whether we can just counterattack straight from ball one, whoever batter goes in."

"And then I don't want people to think that, 'Oh, they are 10 for 2, what shot is he playing?' The commentators, the people of India or anywhere else, they need to understand that this is a plan of the team."

Talking about his leadership philosophy, he said: "A captain is there to ensure right players are playing, the right combination is playing and obviously a few tactical things that you need to look after.

"A captain needs to stand at the forefront while performing and for everything else needs to stand at the back. The reason I say that is he can make a difference by standing at the back because then he can make sure he puts his hand around everyone, that's what I meant when I said you have to be the least important member of the team."

Over the last many years, India's white-ball batting has revolved largely around Rohit and Kohli. And Rohit had "no doubt" he would need Kohli the batter in the side.

"A batter of his quality is always needed in the squad," Rohit said. "To have an average of 50-plus in the T20 format, it's crazy, it's unreal. Obviously, with the experience he has, he has bailed India out so many times from difficult situations.

"So that quality and his kind of batsmanship is obviously required, and he is still a leader of the team. All those things put together, you don't want to miss out, you don't want to ignore that kind of stuff. His presence in the squad is very, very important moving forward and it can only strengthen our team."

In that case, we need Rishabh Pant and Shreyas Iyer in our middle order at 4 and 5.

Suryakumar has great range of shots but he is not a pressure player. Iyer and Pant are most suited among youngsters to relieve the team from tricky situation like 10/3 or 20/3 and help win India the game.

If you want to recover from 10/3 you need to stop having a top heavy team.  Open with Ishan and Pant in T20.  Consider their runs as bonus.  Then distribute the others in the line up. Sameway in One dayers Dhawan's time is up.  Ruturaj is in fabulous form. Open with him. Send Venky Iyer to open with him. Then distribute the others. 10/3 is not the same for all teams. 10 for 3 means India best 3 batsmen back in the shed most likely.

37 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

If you want to recover from 10/3 you need to stop having a top heavy team.  Open with Ishan and Pant in T20.  Consider their runs as bonus.  Then distribute the others in the line up. Sameway in One dayers Dhawan's time is up.  Ruturaj is in fabulous form. Open with him. Send Venky Iyer to open with him. Then distribute the others. 10/3 is not the same for all teams. 10 for 3 means India best 3 batsmen back in the shed most likely.

Dsilva  Ranatunga for later and Kalu Jaya surya as opener. Problem is we have so many proven bats. We can select the ones who can bowl too.

10 minutes ago, mishra said:

Dsilva  Ranatunga for later and Kalu Jaya surya as opener. Problem is we have so many proven bats. We can select the ones who can bowl too.

The 1996 SL team had lots of stabilisers in the middle order. While Kalu and Jaya had the license to go after the bowling, they had Gurusinha at number 3 who wasn't a dasher followed by De Silva who was a dasher at that time with excellent technique. They they had Mahanama, Ranatunga and Tilakeratne all of them proper bats who don't go bang bang. SL batted mostly with 7 bats in their XI at that time. The reason why SL collapsed very less at that time. The biggest advantage for SL with that long batting line up was because Jaya and De Silva were bowlers as well who could give them good 5-10 overs if needed (In the 1996 finals De Silva bowled 9 overs and got 3 wickets). Vaas & Dharmasena could bat as well decently. The biggest problem for India is that none of our batters actually bowl (Please Virat does not count). Rohit, Sachin and Sehwag used to bowl but after them, none of our top order bats can bowl any effective spin. This means that we can never play the kind of team SL play during that time. India can at max play 5 batters + WK + All-rounder+4 bowlers

1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

I said this a thousand times in the last WC as well that BRat was better at 4 but that *wit had other ideas & of course our BRat defenders over here will also suck up to him :lollypop:

Hi sir,kohli sir. You legend sir. Hi sir, how you get anuskha ji. You are greatest player of our era.  

That's the right approach, the top 3 in the last 5 years has  won more matches for India than the middle order did starting from 1970s.

The middle order (the hyped youngsters) now need to show that they are capable of winning matches on their own just like how top3 won us matches single-handedly. 

Rohit looks very excited and he is talking about the real problems in our Loi teams, great interview.