Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ankit_sharma03

Dravid thinks Fielding in t20 cricket is fundamentally overvalued

Recommended Posts

Fielding is never overvalued unless somebody takes it as a sole parameter for selecting players. Hence some dumb management thinking that playing a player who is not ideal for T20 but just because he has all-round skills in Test/ODI and superb fielding skills will provide balance in T20 is completely wrong. That's the messed up thought process we are suffering from. Jadeja falls in this category even though offlate he is not too bad.

 

But yes if there is player who is superb in atleast one skill or in both and at the same time a gun fielder then it definitely helps. ABD and Ben Stokes fall in this category.

Edited by RajBan

Share this post


Link to post

Scary that this guy is coaching the junior team.

 

guys like Gutpill,Jadeja and even Pandey have turned games with their fielding even though they were useless with everything else.

 

:csk: wins because of dustbowls and army of spinners and batsmen adequate enough to chase or put a middling total 9/10 times even though they are limited 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't agree with Dravid here.  He cannot use CSK as an example. Just because Dhoni forgives bad fielding since they are old, we cannot use the same logic in international matches. Today we almost lost the match with terrible fielding. 

Share this post


Link to post

Though I appreciate Indian players for their talent, I don’t rate their ability to understand sports (as India does not have a sports oriented culture relatively speaking. People in general don’t understand sports) .... There may be a few outliers (or may have a good idea in a particular domain) but these guys are not cutting edge .... Usually, they expose themselves when they do commentary 

Share this post


Link to post

Or is there a subtle hint what may be happening in national team , or expected to happen .. 

On what grounds Shaw could be kept out of short format ...? esp T20 . What could be objections , concerns that TM may throw at  for not including him..

Not a good fielder  isn't it . 

Point is talent wise or shot making ability wise he cannot be denied a place  and  he is much better that the one who he must be trying to replace .. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Dravid has a point here. 

Fielding is over valued for a proven performer.. for someone who can contribute very well and more often with his primary skill  ( Rohit , Bumrah etc )

Fielding is mandatory for the average ones like Jadeja, Jadhav, Pandey, Chahal etc.. as their primary skill itself isn't enough to get selected. 

Edited by Vk1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Vk1 said:

Dravid has a point here. 

Fielding is over valued for a proven performer.. for someone who can contribute very well and more often with his primary skill  ( Rohit , Bumrah etc )

Fielding is mandatory for the average ones like Jadeja, Jadhav, Pandey, Chahal etc.. as their primary skill itself isn't enough to get selected. 

Exactly. The Kohli criteria for selection based on fitness never applied on Chris Gayle . Because whatever runs his replacement would save, Gayle could take just one ball to make up. Even you see now, likes of Kuldeep, Bumrah may leak runs on the field but will make it up with wickets. But yes catching is the key here, that is non negotiable as the text suggests.

This is a shrewd way of team selection rather than a perfect one. You basically need some very good boundary riders and the rest you can hide in the inner circle provided they are decent catchers and can heavily contribute in their primary skill.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Does Rahul Dravid still think that way? 5 catches dropped. 6 or 7 run out chances missed. 

watching highlights,these are basic batches they dropped.running back and forward should not be a problem for an international cricketer,maybe the needed Jonty as their coach.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cowboysfan said:

watching highlights,these are basic batches they dropped.running back and forward should not be a problem for an international cricketer,maybe the needed Jonty as their coach.

One of the worst fielding performance. Just when they can't get any lower. Ironically it is one piece of brilliant fielding that brought India back into the contest. Kohli's relay direct hit. But overall our fielding was atrocious.  They were like 2 feet away from stumps still couldn't hit directly.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/30/2020 at 12:03 AM, Khota said:

Dumbest statement ever by Dravid. He is the coach of Indian team and makes an irresponsible statement like that. I knew he was a poor fielder himself but to devalue fielding is wrong.

We don't know the context here, or the full statement right? I'll give Jammy the benefit of the doubt, of course that doesn't mean everything he says is 100% accurate all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 1:33 PM, Khota said:

Dumbest statement ever by Dravid. He is the coach of Indian team and makes an irresponsible statement like that. I knew he was a poor fielder himself but to devalue fielding is wrong.

Dravid was a poor fielder ? You are not serious, are you ? 

 

He was no Jadeja in ground fielding but not a poor fielder. He was an exceptional catcher (Slips, Close up or inner ring). I have to check again, but I believe he does have the record for catches in tests. He kept wickets when needed and was generally a good fielder. I will take him in the inner circle or slips over a more fit Virat for example. Yes Virat can jump around better but Rahul would drop way less catches and the difference in run saved will be minimal impact compared to the dropped catches.

 

I don't think he is trying to de value fielding..

 

Edited by Cricspin

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Cricspin said:

Dravid was a poor fielder ? You are not serious, are you ? 

 

He was no Jadeja in ground fielding but not a poor fielder. He was an exceptional catcher (Slips, Close up or inner ring). I have to check again, but I believe he does have the record for catches in tests. He kept wickets when needed and was generally a good fielder. I will take him in the inner circle or slips over a more fit Virat for example. Yes Virat can jump around better but Rahul would drop way less catches and the difference in run saved will be minimal impact compared to the dropped catches.

 

I don't think he is trying to de value fielding..

 

Greatest batsman ever, no doubt about it but not the best athlete on the field either. You always end up with more catches in slips so those numbers are deceiving. His goal should be to strive for the best standard in fileding but to say something like he did is wrong.

Edited by Khota

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, R!TTER said:

We don't know the context here, or the full statement right? I'll give Jammy the benefit of the doubt, of course that doesn't mean everything he says is 100% accurate all the time.

With most of the games being decided in over 18 to 20 fielding is most important in T20.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Khota said:

Greatest batsman ever, no doubt about it but not the best athlete on the field either. You always end up with more catches in slips so those numbers are deceiving. His goal should be to strive for the best standard in fileding but to say something like he did is wrong.

He took very difficult  catches.. the ones Virat drops regularly..  lot of people field in the slips .. not everyone gets the record. like I said before I will take him over many current athletic  fielders in the infield.. he wasn't the best athlete I agree.. but was fit enough and had insane stamina.

 

Damn sure he knows the importance  of fielding  and not trying to devalue it.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

How crucial was that superb fielding effort by  Samson. He saved 4 runs.

Yes that's true. But you see Dravid already mentions that position along with the other boundary riders as requiring gun fielders. It's the four guys in the inner circle who you can compromise with being avg ground fielders as long as they are terrific in their primary skill set.

 

For ex : If you already have say Pandey, Iyer, Virat, Jadeja, Samson in your team, do you still need to select a Manoj Tiwari over Pant knowing that Pant is not that great a fielder compared to Tiwari but is a safe enough catcher. Virat did this mistake in the 2016 ipl where he replaced an in form Sarfaraz with Sachin Baby. The change didn't really work out as the team really missed Sarfaraz's batting in the playoff and final.

Share this post


Link to post

An over that highlights the importance of fielding: 

 

 

 

  • 9.2 Fielder was well off the line. It could have been a catch but resulted in a 6
  • 9.5 could have been stopped for a 1 but went for a 4 

 

This is where the coaches have to push youngsters to work harder on their fielding and game sense. If the coaches, captain, etc., undervalue fielding, the youngsters may not grasp its importance, take it easy, and put this aspect of their game on the backburner relatively  

 

Of course, the above point does not take away from the fact that the over was bowled rubishly. A big fat zero for the bowler .... NZ studied the bowler  so the batsmen anticipated his moves, so credit to NZ for its gameplan!

Edited by zen

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, R!TTER said:

For some reason people from the South, especially TN, continue to be god awful fielders. Ashwin & now Sundar :facepalm:

Are you talking about same South where Samson and Manish Pandey are from? Kartik and Vijayshankar are brilliant fielders and they are from TN. Ashwin is no worse than Chahal in the outfield and a much better slip fielder.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...