Indian women hockey team create history by entering into Olympic SF for first time

Trichromatic

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

One of the greatest upsets in Olympics history, in any sport. Beat Pool B toppers and strong medal favorites Australia. 

And to do that when umpires were so blatantly biased in favor of the Aussies, that British TV ump in the end :facepalm:

Clutch, so clutch. As cricket fans we are never used to seeing India show so much mental toughness against all odds in ICC events. The way we repelled wave after wave of attacks in Q4, and how we held our nerve against sellout match officials, amazing.

I don't care about medal tally, shooting /boxing disappointments etc. any more. Hockey results have compensated for all that, even if we have lower medal count than London this is our best ever Games performance @G_B_ @neel roy @maniac @Real McCoy @QuarantineTormentino @Trichromatic @Cricketics @coffee_rules@ShoonyaSifar @I6MTW @Vilander @Jay @Sgattick10 @nitinbwj @rollingstoned @LordPrabhzy @Lone Wolf @Number @rkt.india @Vickydev @Norman @SrinjayDutta @bharathh @9zaesm @raki05 @Nash @Lord @MechEng @MultiB48 @deepdynamo @nikrulz @Frustrated @BacktoCricaddict @Singh bling @Pratik77 @jusarrived and all other Olympics followers (pretty sure there are others, but can recall the above ICFers from the Tokyo Games thread) of this forum. 

India now the only country represented in men's as well as women's SF lineup :isalute:. Imagine, we have done something which eluded Aus, Neth, Ger, Arg, GBR. Who would have predicted this? Or even come close...men after so many decades, women after 2016 blowout, and the fact that we were always minnows in that field barely able to compete with China/Japan for most of our history. 

The work that our squads have put in over the last 16 months, huddled together as a team in one place, the enormous sacrifices and hard work of our coaching staff, mad respect to all of them. They have uplifted the spirits of 1.3 billion Indians with their guts, amazing. 

The reaction from the Dutch coach after the game was priceless. Immediately got to calling amidst the emotional outburst. 

These warriors really do deserve a medal, even if such wins and games take a lot out of you for the next gmame. A win could really be the start of a hockey renaissance in India imo. It would more than make up for the relative disappoinments in other disciplines here. Credit to people like you who spend a lot of time and energy following the team, reading your writeups and insightful posts has been a pleasure. 

Edited by rollingstoned

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

One of the greatest upsets in Olympics history, in any sport. Beat Pool B toppers and strong medal favorites Australia. 

And to do that when umpires were so blatantly biased in favor of the Aussies, that British TV ump in the end :facepalm:

Clutch, so clutch. As cricket fans we are never used to seeing India show so much mental toughness against all odds in ICC events. The way we repelled wave after wave of attacks in Q4, and how we held our nerve against sellout match officials, amazing.

I don't care about medal tally, shooting /boxing disappointments etc. any more. Hockey results have compensated for all that, even if we have lower medal count than London this is our best ever Games performance @G_B_ @neel roy @maniac @Real McCoy @QuarantineTormentino @Trichromatic @Cricketics @coffee_rules@ShoonyaSifar @I6MTW @Vilander @Jay @Sgattick10 @nitinbwj @rollingstoned @LordPrabhzy @Lone Wolf @Number @rkt.india @Vickydev @Norman @SrinjayDutta @bharathh @9zaesm @raki05 @Nash @Lord @MechEng @MultiB48 @deepdynamo @nikrulz @Frustrated @BacktoCricaddict @Singh bling @Pratik77 @jusarrived and all other Olympics followers (pretty sure there are others, but can recall the above ICFers from the Tokyo Games thread) of this forum. 

India now the only country represented in men's as well as women's SF lineup :isalute:. Imagine, we have done something which eluded Aus, Neth, Ger, Arg, GBR. Who would have predicted this? Or even come close...men after so many decades, women after 2016 blowout, and the fact that we were always minnows in that field barely able to compete with China/Japan for most of our history. 

The work that our squads have put in over the last 16 months, huddled together as a team in one place, the enormous sacrifices and hard work of our coaching staff, mad respect to all of them. They have uplifted the spirits of 1.3 billion Indians with their guts, amazing. 

Still recovering from the adrenaline rush:aha: One of our great sporting achievements in decades. 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

He'll yeaaaaa. Congrats guys. Everyone of us should be proud. I am proud of these Indian warriors. What a champion mindset. Such privilege to see them shine.i am lost for words. Truly spectacular. Outstanding women. Love my indian women. Well done. 

If only my worked right sigh. 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

I don't care about medal tally, shooting /boxing disappointments etc. any more. Hockey results have compensated for all that, even if we have lower medal count than London this is our best ever Games performance @G_B_ @neel roy @maniac @Real McCoy @QuarantineTormentino @Trichromatic @Cricketics @coffee_rules@ShoonyaSifar @I6MTW @Vilander @Jay @Sgattick10 @nitinbwj @rollingstoned @LordPrabhzy @Lone Wolf @Number @rkt.india @Vickydev @Norman @SrinjayDutta @bharathh @9zaesm @raki05 @Nash @Lord @MechEng @MultiB48 @deepdynamo @nikrulz @Frustrated @BacktoCricaddict @Singh bling @Pratik77 @jusarrived @randomGuy and all other Olympics followers (pretty sure there are others, but can recall the above ICFers from the Tokyo Games thread) of this forum. 

I will admit I gave the women's team Zero chance, seriously to lose the first three matches and make it to semis has to be one of the greatest comebacks in Indian sports . Men's team not surprised one bit. 

Agree on the medals count, its nice to pick few medals but for me its important is seeing more representation in each sport and improved results . First win in Fencing, first time in TT third round etc should not be forgotten. May be in 10-15 or even 20 years we will have 100 genuine Medal contenders compared to todays ~20, thats when I will look at the medals tally with India challenging a Top 10 position, bare minimum we should be getting. 

1 hour ago, rollingstoned said:

The reaction from the Dutch coach after the game was priceless. Immediately got to calling amidst the emotional outburst. 

These warriors really do deserve a medal, even if such wins and games take a lot out of you for the next gmame. A win could really be the start of a hockey renaissance in India imo. It would more than make up for the relative disappoinments in other disciplines here. Credit to people like you who spend a lot of time and energy following the team, reading your writeups and insightful posts has been a pleasure. 

I'd like to second this.

Haven't followed a single Olympic event ever. But I make it a point to read all of @Gollum's posts in the Olympics thread. Very insightful and informative.

19 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Learned something new today. The state of Odisha sponsors both men and women national hockey teams.

Yep I saw AKTK video on Fall of Indian hockey and realised the Odisha Govt sponsors the sport- Now it makes sense why most of the tournaments are held in Bubhaneshwar.

I mean if Punjab Gov gets its head out of its butt and maybe replicate this funding model, considering most Hockey players are Punjabi... the infrastructure problem would be solved. Installing accessible and cheap astro turfs across the country should be the aim

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:
  4 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

Funny to see two our coaches one Dutch ( women) and one Australian ( mens).  And their own big home teams -  Aus in Womens and Netherlands in  mens dont qualify for semi finals. 

Edited by neel roy